743 control valve rebuild

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ddsprint

i need a little help, my service manual only covers gresson pump, and i have a 4 spool unit, it's called melroe 700 series, 800 serials, it says it's in the

component manual, no problem, but the problem is i can't find one, so if anyone can steer me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you

brdgbldr

I may have the manual you need. It's too big to post in the manuals section.
Message me your email and I can try to send it to you.

brdgbldr

Hope the manual helps you guys.
I can't even remember where I found it years ago but I figured I would download it in case I needed it in the future.
I just sold my 742B ( probably a big mistake ) so I don't need it anymore but will hang onto it. I suggest that you do the same and pass it on when others need it.

jp8775

I asked this before and some ne gave a link to a great video on rebuilding 743 valve body. My lap top blew up and when I got it back from warrantee the video was not something I saved. The rear of the valve has two valves with covers on them and they have balls under spring pressure. I got the manual from ddsprint but I would also like to see it done if possible, any help?

onepoket

These are a couple I used when doing mine.

I can say this from my experience, buy extra ball bearings, they are cheap and you will probably lose a few trying to get the caps back on.
Also, do all the seals and all the spools. The whole process is a pain so might as well get them all working as good as you can.
Another thing, when I did mine I sort of guessed on the front seals based on my serial number and machine age / part indicators. I ordered them online because I figured I would like to have them on hand. Turns out none of the documented seals fit my machine. I ended up going to bobcat and they had another type of seal that I had never seen that was what I needed, so I paid the bobcat inflated price but I needed to get it back together.

I have attached the pdf bulletin bobcat gave me with the bore types and how to identify them, hopefully that helps you.

Good luck,
onepoket

Attachments

• 740 Control Valve Bore Types.pdf
    190.8 KB · Views: 187

jp8775

Thank you so much. Should I get a reseal kit? Seem like there are 40 different seals in the kit. I have the spool valve seals and though I would just match up the O-rings from my stock.

onepoket

Thank you so much. Should I get a reseal kit? Seem like there are 40 different seals in the kit. I have the spool valve seals and though I would just match up the O-rings from my stock.
I forget if I got the reseal kit or not when I did it. Maybe I did, but the front seal I needed wasn't included in the kit. Depending on how long you can have the machine down, you might want to remove a spool and look at the bore and front seal, they all will take the same type. The other seals / o rings I'm guessing will all be in the kit.

jp8775

I actually took the control valve out of the bobcat, It was hard even with the engine out but I figured out after wards things that will make it easier to reinstall. I am replacing the hard lines as the engine fire cooked them and I am sure there is ash in the lines.

Last edited:

jp8775

Another question 743 not a "b" just a 743. I picked it up real cheap plan to turn it. The front right bearing must be out I looked all over the forum can't find much on how to do it. How even to get at the sprockets to remove them? It looks like you can get at them through a panel about 18" to the rear away from the axels. I even tried to find a video on the interweb no luck. Also how do you start an new thread I should start a new thread for this?

jp8775

Ok it looks like (after I pressure washed it off) the front cover comes off with out removing the hydro static unit. It seems to slide under a few inches. Am I correct?
Is there supposed to be 4 bolts holding the motor side access covers on from the bottom? If so mine are rusted heads almost gone.