743 chain replacement, axle, bearing, and other questions.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
F

Fefanatic

any pics brah>?
Here is a picture of what I will use to torque the axle bolts. I plan to weld that socket to the center of the 1/4" strap.
KIMG0045.jpg

Here are some pics of the debris field in the chain case and the chains. All chains are being replaced with heavy duty chains.
KIMG0048.jpg

KIMG0049.jpg

KIMG0050.jpg

This is a pic of the new chain for the left rear. The bulk chain will be the same quality.
KIMG0051.jpg

This is the front chain guide on the right side. They will get replaced also
KIMG0053.jpg

These are pictures of the damaged right rear chain. The left chain got lodged under the right chain after it broke.
KIMG0054.jpg

This is the damaged driven gear on the left rear.
KIMG0040.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fefanatic

Here is a picture of what I will use to torque the axle bolts. I plan to weld that socket to the center of the 1/4" strap.

Here are some pics of the debris field in the chain case and the chains. All chains are being replaced with heavy duty chains.

This is a pic of the new chain for the left rear. The bulk chain will be the same quality.

This is the front chain guide on the right side. They will get replaced also

These are pictures of the damaged right rear chain. The left chain got lodged under the right chain after it broke.

This is the damaged driven gear on the left rear.
Everywhere I said left or right in the above post is just the opposite of what they should have been. It was the right rear that gave it up. It's been a long day. Why I did that I cannot say.

Madbobcater743

Everywhere I said left or right in the above post is just the opposite of what they should have been. It was the right rear that gave it up. It's been a long day. Why I did that I cannot say.
Hey man Looks awsome. I like the plate you hooked up. How much have you spent $$ wise? Great pictures. Thank you, I'm very excited to see the rest of the project.

OP
OP
F

Fefanatic

Hey man Looks awsome. I like the plate you hooked up. How much have you spent $$ wise? Great pictures. Thank you, I'm very excited to see the rest of the project.
Without looking at the receipts I know I have $450.00 in chains, $200.00 in bearings, $50.00 in seals, $50.00 in wear sleeves, and around $18.00 in gaskets. Add another $100.00 in oil and probably another $100. in incidentals and this part will be done.
As far as the wheel torque tool goes I would have made it a little cleaner if I were in the business of using it all the time. Hopefully it will be used only four times.
I figure if I get out of this project for $1000. I will be happy.

OP
OP
F

Fefanatic

Without looking at the receipts I know I have $450.00 in chains, $200.00 in bearings, $50.00 in seals, $50.00 in wear sleeves, and around $18.00 in gaskets. Add another $100.00 in oil and probably another $100. in incidentals and this part will be done.
As far as the wheel torque tool goes I would have made it a little cleaner if I were in the business of using it all the time. Hopefully it will be used only four times.
I figure if I get out of this project for $1000. I will be happy.
Shocker. I called Bobcat this morning to inquire about the chain guides and was told they are $8.00 each. For that money I have new ones on the way. It looks like the reassembly will be the end of the week or the weekend. I will be glad when it's done. :)

Madbobcater743

Shocker. I called Bobcat this morning to inquire about the chain guides and was told they are $8.00 each. For that money I have new ones on the way. It looks like the reassembly will be the end of the week or the weekend. I will be glad when it's done. :)
I don't blame you. I really admire your garage. As crazy as it sounds I'm still installing irrigation systems. I haven't had time to even think about bobcat repairs. Dealer=Devil.

Tazza

Staff member
I don't blame you. I really admire your garage. As crazy as it sounds I'm still installing irrigation systems. I haven't had time to even think about bobcat repairs. Dealer=Devil.
The sprocket doesn't look too nasty, possibly rub the sharp bits off with a flap wheel on a grinder
I'm amazed the guides were only $8 each, I'd have suspected a lot more.
Really not loving the metal particles, good thing you are re-doing it.

Fe Fanatic

The sprocket doesn't look too nasty, possibly rub the sharp bits off with a flap wheel on a grinder
I'm amazed the guides were only $8 each, I'd have suspected a lot more.
Really not loving the metal particles, good thing you are re-doing it.
Well, I have it back together. It was a chore without a second set of hands to help but I managed to get the job done. It seems to be OK but now I have other issues to attend to. The tool I made to adapt to the axle to torque bolt worked well. Instead of using the cut bearing race to press the bearings into the axle I used the split bearing press tool to drive the seals in when I drove the axles. I clamped the split bearing tool tight to the axle so it acted like a collar. I checked axle end play and the worst was .007 and well within specs. Changing the inner races was a little pain because again, I didn't have that second set of hands to help. I had a bearing race tool kit and I threaded it will some allthread rod and pulled the races into place from the outside of the axle. I had to turn the nuts 1/2 turn and then tap the race tool on the inside. It was slow but worked. Installing the chains was done apart and then I installed the master link. Leaving the torque wrench on the axle end and letting it hang there gave enough tension on the sprocket and chain that it allowed me to link the chains without a stretch tool. I couldn't find a link press so I spot welded the master links. I feel confident that they will hold OK. I especially liked the foam top cover gasket that I got from Bobcat. It seemed to work better than cork. Over all the job took quite a bit of time but wasn't that difficult. The total cost of parts were a little over $1200.00 including seals, bearings, races, chains, and oil. I have it running and now I have a leak at the auxiliary hydraulic spool valve stem. It looks like I may have to pull the motor to get to it. If anyone has any suggestions before I start that project I sure would like to hear them. Once the leak is repaired this should be a pretty good machine. Hopefully it won't continue to have problems.

billrbg

Well, I have it back together. It was a chore without a second set of hands to help but I managed to get the job done. It seems to be OK but now I have other issues to attend to. The tool I made to adapt to the axle to torque bolt worked well. Instead of using the cut bearing race to press the bearings into the axle I used the split bearing press tool to drive the seals in when I drove the axles. I clamped the split bearing tool tight to the axle so it acted like a collar. I checked axle end play and the worst was .007 and well within specs. Changing the inner races was a little pain because again, I didn't have that second set of hands to help. I had a bearing race tool kit and I threaded it will some allthread rod and pulled the races into place from the outside of the axle. I had to turn the nuts 1/2 turn and then tap the race tool on the inside. It was slow but worked. Installing the chains was done apart and then I installed the master link. Leaving the torque wrench on the axle end and letting it hang there gave enough tension on the sprocket and chain that it allowed me to link the chains without a stretch tool. I couldn't find a link press so I spot welded the master links. I feel confident that they will hold OK. I especially liked the foam top cover gasket that I got from Bobcat. It seemed to work better than cork. Over all the job took quite a bit of time but wasn't that difficult. The total cost of parts were a little over $1200.00 including seals, bearings, races, chains, and oil. I have it running and now I have a leak at the auxiliary hydraulic spool valve stem. It looks like I may have to pull the motor to get to it. If anyone has any suggestions before I start that project I sure would like to hear them. Once the leak is repaired this should be a pretty good machine. Hopefully it won't continue to have problems.
Doing the spool seals on the Control Valve isn't easy, but not the worst job down there. Don't bother to remove the engine, that doesn't give you more access where you need it. Figure to do all the spool seals, both ends of each, as you will probably have to remove all the ones above the aux to get to it. Sound fun? Several of us here have "been there", can answer questions.

OP
OP
F

Fefanatic

Doing the spool seals on the Control Valve isn't easy, but not the worst job down there. Don't bother to remove the engine, that doesn't give you more access where you need it. Figure to do all the spool seals, both ends of each, as you will probably have to remove all the ones above the aux to get to it. Sound fun? Several of us here have "been there", can answer questions.
I was looking at my spool valve. My unit serial number is above 15000. It is a one piece affair and looks like there are boot seals on the shafts. Looking at the parts diagram I don't see a shaft seal. Does the boot act as the seal? If so it looks like I might be able to make a long screw driver bit and get the two retainer screws loose and replace the boot. Yea, I know, no way it would be that easy..

billrbg

I was looking at my spool valve. My unit serial number is above 15000. It is a one piece affair and looks like there are boot seals on the shafts. Looking at the parts diagram I don't see a shaft seal. Does the boot act as the seal? If so it looks like I might be able to make a long screw driver bit and get the two retainer screws loose and replace the boot. Yea, I know, no way it would be that easy..
No, the boot isn't the pressure seal. There is another behind the boot, either a lip-type or "quad ring", probably the quad. And, an identical one at the other end of the spool. Yeah, you will get considerable practice using a variety of things to drive a 3/16" hex for those socket-head screws. In the rear, you will have one on a 2' to 3' extension... I urge you to start by draining the hydraulic reservoir so you can remove that big hose connecting the reservoir to the Port Block, and several other hoses. Getting to those spools and covers is miserable, even with all the access you can get!

prowedge

I need to replace a chain on my 743b, how do I get the master link to stay on? Is there some sort of flaring tool to round off the ends of the pins on the master link?

cdmccul

It depends on the type of chain.. some brands have a clip that goes on. I've seen a couple types done in chain cases.

prowedge

It depends on the type of chain.. some brands have a clip that goes on. I've seen a couple types done in chain cases.
The chain I bought came without the retaining clip. Would it be a bad idea to use one with the retaining clip as it would be much easier or are they not as strong?

cdmccul

The chain I bought came without the retaining clip. Would it be a bad idea to use one with the retaining clip as it would be much easier or are they not as strong?
In my experience they are as strong as they are rated for... But see what others say.

prowedge

In my experience they are as strong as they are rated for... But see what others say.
Ok, thanks for the reply! The chain also has slightly different link plates than the one I'm replacing although when I ordered it, they said it was the correct one for the machine

Coke-in-MN

The rating of the chain should be listed by the Mfg. to meet ANSI ratings . If the clip fits onto pins it should work but is best to use parts that are rated for the chain , Side bars can vary in look and strength by different manufacturers but the tensile strength must meet the rating .
Roller chain is made in several sizes, the most common American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards being 40, 50, 60, and 80. The first digits indicate the pitch of the chain in eighths of an inch, with the last digit being 0 for standard chain, 1 for lightweight chain, and 5 for bushed chain with no rollers.

prowedge

The rating of the chain should be listed by the Mfg. to meet ANSI ratings . If the clip fits onto pins it should work but is best to use parts that are rated for the chain , Side bars can vary in look and strength by different manufacturers but the tensile strength must meet the rating .
Roller chain is made in several sizes, the most common American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards being 40, 50, 60, and 80. The first digits indicate the pitch of the chain in eighths of an inch, with the last digit being 0 for standard chain, 1 for lightweight chain, and 5 for bushed chain with no rollers.
I bought the chain from bobcat, it's a tsubaki 80HBC. 1inch pitch. I just like to try and use a regular master link instead of the press on one that would require flaring the ends of the pens as I'm going to do it inside the machine