742 wheel seals

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

justallan

I'm looking a 742 to buy and notice that it needs wheels seals on one front and one back. How much of a pain are they? What's a wild guess as to what the seal cost on each? Are the front and rear the same?
I appreciate any help.

brdgbldr

I'm looking a 742 to buy and notice that it needs wheels seals on one front and one back. How much of a pain are they? What's a wild guess as to what the seal cost on each? Are the front and rear the same?
I appreciate any help.
Do you mean axle seals?

It depends on the model or, more specifically, if you have one or two piece axles. the easiest way to tell is if the axle hub has a large bolt in the center, if I remember correctly 1-1/2", it is a two piece axle.

The axle seals on the one piece axles are a pain. You have to be able to get to the axle bolts inside the chain case And remove the entire axle. The front isn't too hard but the back is.

The two piece axles, the hardest part is getting the hub to release. It normally takes a couple of bottle jacks up against the frame and a hammer.

OP
OP
J

justallan

Do you mean axle seals?

It depends on the model or, more specifically, if you have one or two piece axles. the easiest way to tell is if the axle hub has a large bolt in the center, if I remember correctly 1-1/2", it is a two piece axle.

The axle seals on the one piece axles are a pain. You have to be able to get to the axle bolts inside the chain case And remove the entire axle. The front isn't too hard but the back is.

The two piece axles, the hardest part is getting the hub to release. It normally takes a couple of bottle jacks up against the frame and a hammer.
Crap, this one is the one piece by the looks of it and the seller even said you have to get inside the chain case.
This one has what appears to be the axle and hub being one piece and you bolt your wheel directly to the hub.
Thanks for the help.