742 drive coupling assembly

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Scott Cee

Can someone confirm this u-joint and drive coupling assembly is put together correctly? Seems like greasing the u-joints would be absurd with the way they designed it, but if that's what they intend then I guess it can go back in the machine like that. It's a 742B if it makes any difference.
20240213_113352.jpg

20240213_113344.jpg

Thanks.

brdgbldr

It's hard to see in the photos but the three grease zerks should all be on the same side. I can only see one zerk.

Greasing these is done blind when in the machine. You have to lay down on you stomach ( on top of the pump ) reach all the way to the right side of the frame and then reach back to the left to the shaft. It's nice to have a helper that can wrench the engine over until you can feel the grease zerks.

You also need a very long grease hose.

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

I found a picture on FB and I'd say mine is wrong. The zerks are on the cross shafts (body) of the u-joints, not on the side of the caps.

20240213_113027.jpg

I should have uploaded that first. So now I guess I'll take it apart and see if I can rearrange everything so there is 45 degree zerks on the caps.

brdgbldr

I found a picture on FB and I'd say mine is wrong. The zerks are on the cross shafts (body) of the u-joints, not on the side of the caps.

View attachment 5735

I should have uploaded that first. So now I guess I'll take it apart and see if I can rearrange everything so there is 45 degree zerks on the caps.
I have attached a photo from the parts catalog. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0509.png
    IMG_0509.png
    510.3 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

I have attached a photo from the parts catalog. Hope it helps.
Yeah, that's what the one I was given a picture of is arranged like. I definitely need to take it apart and put new zerks in it. There is no way you would be able to grease mine when it's in the machine.

laurencen

FWIW its close to impossible to grease the joint in the machine, there is not much alignment issues when installed unlike a truck driveshaft so grease it when you have it out should be OK for another 3000 plus hours

Dave1234

It's hard to see in the photos but the three grease zerks should all be on the same side. I can only see one zerk.

Greasing these is done blind when in the machine. You have to lay down on you stomach ( on top of the pump ) reach all the way to the right side of the frame and then reach back to the left to the shaft. It's nice to have a helper that can wrench the engine over until you can feel the grease zerks.

You also need a very long grease hose.
On my 742B I found that if I got the engine rotated just right, I could see at least one zerk with them positioned on the left side of the machine (that's the left when sitting in the seat, but right when laying on your stomach facing the engine) at roughly 2 o'clock position when looking towards the rear of the machine. I could only see it with one eye, the other eye was blocked, but it was easier to clean them and to attach a locking grease gun end onto all three in that position than with them rotated to the other side where I could see nothing. I marked the engine crank pulley and outer shroud with match lines so I could turn it to the right place the next time.

Dave1234

On my 742B I found that if I got the engine rotated just right, I could see at least one zerk with them positioned on the left side of the machine (that's the left when sitting in the seat, but right when laying on your stomach facing the rear/ engine) at roughly 2 o'clock position when looking towards the rear of the machine. I could only see it with one eye, the other eye was blocked, but it was easier to clean them and to attach a locking grease gun end onto all three in that position than with them rotated to the other side where I could see nothing. I marked the engine crank pulley and outer shroud with match lines so I could turn it to the right place the next time.

Latest posts