642 leaking gas out the carb inlet

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Cyclone Ranger

I have a 642 with a Ford motor that is leaking gas out the carb. Before pulling the carb off I thought I'd ask the forum for advise. Is this a common issue? Does this carb have a replaceable needle and seat? Is the float known to fail?
On what I beleive to be an unrelated issue, this machine no longer has a fuel shut off solenoid. I intend to install one between the filter and the mechanical fuel pump. If I use this solenoid to shut down the engine prior to long storage periods, is there any concerns of damaging the fuel pump? I know most race car setups use a 3 way valve after the pump that drains back to the tank to avoid over pressuring the belt driven fuel pump. Since this is on the vacuum side of the pump is this a concern?

renopker

The elect. solenoid is to keep the motor compartment from filling with gas in the event of a stuck float. It wont hurt the pump as the pump is after the solenoid.

Fishfiles

do you use ethonal gas ? , did the machine sit up for a while ? , is it very hot where you are at ? ---try adding some Stabile fuel additive ( the ethonal blend) or something to reduce the effects of the ethonal clogging up the needle of the float ------that ethonal is some really bad stuff

OP
OP
C

Cyclone Ranger

do you use ethonal gas ? , did the machine sit up for a while ? , is it very hot where you are at ? ---try adding some Stabile fuel additive ( the ethonal blend) or something to reduce the effects of the ethonal clogging up the needle of the float ------that ethonal is some really bad stuff
I'm from Iowa. Ethanol. It's what's for breakfast.