610 questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Doninnd

Hello all. New 1979 610 owner here (New to me, not new machine). Purchased the unit at an auction sight unseen. Sale bill stated "needs a tuneup", auctioneer on site said hasn't been run in three years. How wonderful. Got the unit home and absorbed as much info as I could here and elsewhere. Questions I have as I go through the unit before I get it running:

When draining oil, I got a gallon, more or less, of water out. Unit sat outside and the clean air hose connection at the carb was unhooked. Can I (do I) flush the oilpan with kerosene (pour in the fill, let it drain out the drain)? I'm hoping to not have to pull the engine. Because water gets solid around here, I'm kind of nervous, but had something broken due to ice, the water wouldn't still be in the pan, right? I have rotated the engine by hand and it seems that the valves are not stuck (yay!) at least until I get around to checking compression.

Fuel tank is half full. What's the best way to clean it after I've drained it. All the chemical cleaners say to mix with fuel. Not keen on wasting 10 gallons of gasoline in this process. Just drain and clean with pressure washer?

Speaking of gasoline, can one use E-10 fuel or do I get to spend extra for non-oxygenated? E-10 wasn't around in 79, so I am guessing anything rubber in the carb and pump isn't compatible with E-10 Would the parts in the rebuild kits for the carb and pump be compatible (fuel pump/repair kit no longer available?)?

Pertronix ignition: Just the points replacement or the entire distributor? How hard is the distributor to install, knowing one has to get the timing correct? Which coil?

Thanks for the great info I have already read.

Don

foton

I would drain the fuel out and take two samples one at the begining of the drain and one near the end of the drain . Use a clear glass jar and let the fuel settle for a few min. and look for water and trash, if all looks good I would use it like 50/50 with fresh non- ethonal gas. before you go to wild, do a compression test, if the cylinders are over 100 psi I would call it good. yes a electronic ing. would be nice but points were used for years and if they are in good shape use them, ( I have converted engines back to points when elec. ing. parts have gone no longer available, Onan comes to mind). what did the engine oil look like? good luck

Latest posts