610 driven shaft key way

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mark18mwm

Have any of you guys sheared the key on the driven shaft sheave? I must have sheared mine tonight. The sheave turns as it should but the shaft is not turning with the sheave. I turned the connector block to make sure the shaft wasn't locked up and stopped turning but it turns free. I am wondering if there is any reason in particular it may have sheared and do you think there will be damage to the sheave or shaft. I had it apart once a long time ago and can't really remember what it looks like in there. I do remember its a tapered shaft but that's about it. In your experience, do you think I can get lucky with just a new key or you think I'm looking at serious damage? I can't get into it for a little bit and I am just wondering to expect.

6brnorma

Never had this happen. My guess is the spanner nut loosened up some and then it sheared the key off. I would expect that you don't have much damage……..but……….won't know for sure until you get in there. Good luck.

OP
OP
M

mark18mwm

Never had this happen. My guess is the spanner nut loosened up some and then it sheared the key off. I would expect that you don't have much damage……..but……….won't know for sure until you get in there. Good luck.
I was thinking something might have happened to the nut also, hope the threads are still good on the shaft. I hope your right about thinking there might not be much damage. Go figure I use this thing as a toy constantly and rarely any trouble. I need the thing to plow 7"-8" fresh snow and in breaks, now it's windy a hell and I can imagine the snow drifted mess I'll wake up to in the morning. I guess Murphy's law applies here, been one of those days.

6brnorma

I was thinking something might have happened to the nut also, hope the threads are still good on the shaft. I hope your right about thinking there might not be much damage. Go figure I use this thing as a toy constantly and rarely any trouble. I need the thing to plow 7"-8" fresh snow and in breaks, now it's windy a hell and I can imagine the snow drifted mess I'll wake up to in the morning. I guess Murphy's law applies here, been one of those days.
That's always the way it works. As you know…….that's a job to pull that thing and rebuild it. Last time I bought that shaft it was approaching $200.00………hope you don't need one but the threads are a definite concern.

OP
OP
M

mark18mwm

That's always the way it works. As you know…….that's a job to pull that thing and rebuild it. Last time I bought that shaft it was approaching $200.00………hope you don't need one but the threads are a definite concern.
Well I got it apart. it's not really looking good. Shaft has wear on the taper and the sheave has wear inside. looks like the nut come loose then the key broke and chewed up the tapers on the way out. I'm trying to figure out what to do from here. As I see it I have two options, replace everything or machine the tapers slightly deeper until I have a good fit on the taper. the down side to that is that will move the sheave out some and the belt would be out of line unless I can find a way to shim it back over where it needs to be. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
M

mark18mwm

Well I got it apart. it's not really looking good. Shaft has wear on the taper and the sheave has wear inside. looks like the nut come loose then the key broke and chewed up the tapers on the way out. I'm trying to figure out what to do from here. As I see it I have two options, replace everything or machine the tapers slightly deeper until I have a good fit on the taper. the down side to that is that will move the sheave out some and the belt would be out of line unless I can find a way to shim it back over where it needs to be. Any suggestions?
Well, I think I came up with a plan. I'm going to get a new shaft and nut and try to "clean up" the sheave. The shaft is $180 and the nut $8 at bobcat. The new sheave is $550 for the entire assembly, I only need the tapered half so I'll see if I can come up with a used half or assembly. I'll look around the next couple days and if I can't find a good used one I'll go with trying to clean mine up to use again. I have a lathe, but I'm not to good on it and with it being a taper I'll see if I can find someone to cut it.

6brnorma

Well, I think I came up with a plan. I'm going to get a new shaft and nut and try to "clean up" the sheave. The shaft is $180 and the nut $8 at bobcat. The new sheave is $550 for the entire assembly, I only need the tapered half so I'll see if I can come up with a used half or assembly. I'll look around the next couple days and if I can't find a good used one I'll go with trying to clean mine up to use again. I have a lathe, but I'm not to good on it and with it being a taper I'll see if I can find someone to cut it.
mark…….I know you have told us where you are located before but I forget. Shoot me an e-mail…..I'm sure this is something I can help you with. I probably have a couple of these around.

OP
OP
M

mark18mwm

mark…….I know you have told us where you are located before but I forget. Shoot me an e-mail…..I'm sure this is something I can help you with. I probably have a couple of these around.
I sent you as email, I think, haha