610 Briggs Vanguard Engine Replacement

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Beekeeper

Small Engine Warehouse offers a replacement engine for the 610, it is a Briggs Vanguard 35 HP. I contacted them and they stated that they have sold many of these units and that the conversion is a good solution to the old VH4D. My question is, has anyone used this conversion that can shed a bit of light on how well it worked and what should I expect in doing the conversion.

mark18mwm

To me, $2975 seems a bit pricey but it would be nice to have a little more modern and powerful engine.I would think it would free up some space also, the Wisconsin is a big engine. Here is a link to the listing for Small engine warehouse's description of it. http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/Repower-Old-Equipment/Bobcat-600-Category/

6brnorma

To me, $2975 seems a bit pricey but it would be nice to have a little more modern and powerful engine.I would think it would free up some space also, the Wisconsin is a big engine. Here is a link to the listing for Small engine warehouse's description of it. http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/Repower-Old-Equipment/Bobcat-600-Category/
I'll be interested to hear how it goes. Just thinking out loud……wonder how much the smaller/lighter engine will affect your lifting capacity. Easy fix for that if it is a noticeable difference.

Bobcatdan

I'll be interested to hear how it goes. Just thinking out loud……wonder how much the smaller/lighter engine will affect your lifting capacity. Easy fix for that if it is a noticeable difference.
My biggest concern is the pto end of the crankshaft match the the old V4 for ease of installation. I would think a new 35hp engine would put an old V4 to shame. From a small engine standpoint, those Briggs Big Blocks are physically pretty big.

6brnorma

My biggest concern is the pto end of the crankshaft match the the old V4 for ease of installation. I would think a new 35hp engine would put an old V4 to shame. From a small engine standpoint, those Briggs Big Blocks are physically pretty big.
How do they handle the hydraulic pump on that conversion?

mark18mwm

How do they handle the hydraulic pump on that conversion?
"How do they handle the hydraulic pump on that conversion?" On the link I put up from small engine wharehouse, it says it (the kit) includes a "Jack Shaft to run Hydraulic Pump, Pulleys for Jackshaft setup". Looks like the thought out every thing and include it.

OP
OP
B

Beekeeper

"How do they handle the hydraulic pump on that conversion?" On the link I put up from small engine wharehouse, it says it (the kit) includes a "Jack Shaft to run Hydraulic Pump, Pulleys for Jackshaft setup". Looks like the thought out every thing and include it.
Everything is included, the hydraulic pump off the VH4D will be adapted to the new engine via a pulley from the front side of the engine. I will keep you all posted on how this thing goes, wish me luck, I will need it.

Tigerhaze

Everything is included, the hydraulic pump off the VH4D will be adapted to the new engine via a pulley from the front side of the engine. I will keep you all posted on how this thing goes, wish me luck, I will need it.
I think I read somewhere on this site that the weight difference between the new Vanguards and the old Wisconsin VH4D is several hundred pounds so you would need to put a counterweight in the rear to retain your lifting capacity. I also read that the mounting brackets on the floor were different. You may want to find that thread- it had some photos and was a good detailed read for that conversion.

Tigerhaze

I think I read somewhere on this site that the weight difference between the new Vanguards and the old Wisconsin VH4D is several hundred pounds so you would need to put a counterweight in the rear to retain your lifting capacity. I also read that the mounting brackets on the floor were different. You may want to find that thread- it had some photos and was a good detailed read for that conversion.
I found the thread:
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=78458
Because it is a 630 rather than a M610 it is not belt drive so that part of it would not be explained but still seems like it could be helpful for you to read.

SkidRoe

I found the thread:
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=78458
Because it is a 630 rather than a M610 it is not belt drive so that part of it would not be explained but still seems like it could be helpful for you to read.
A quick bit of Googling netted that a Wisconsin VH4D weighs 310 lb, while the 35hp Briggs kit from SEW is 151 lb. So, ~160 lb difference.
You could hang 2 tail gate weights off of it or get some suitcase weight from a tractor. I have 200 lb of counter weight on my repowered 440b.
Cheers - SR

OP
OP
B

Beekeeper

A quick bit of Googling netted that a Wisconsin VH4D weighs 310 lb, while the 35hp Briggs kit from SEW is 151 lb. So, ~160 lb difference.
You could hang 2 tail gate weights off of it or get some suitcase weight from a tractor. I have 200 lb of counter weight on my repowered 440b.
Cheers - SR
I have a fifth wheel attachment that more than makes up for the difference between engine weight differences.

grindio

I have a fifth wheel attachment that more than makes up for the difference between engine weight differences.
I know it's late but a few years ago I bought the kit vanguard engine. I am not a machinist or welder so i couldn't modify what they sent me, the previous member was right it's pricey and it wasn't a drop in. I spent 3000 for the setup and let me just say that i didn't get any help from the company at all. The engine, using the sheave as reference should have fit in the middle of the hole on the left side of the frame, it didn't it was too high and at the upper right side of the hole. I also had to drill new mounting holes. The pump and the bracket they provided doesn't match up too well either, cant move it as its welded. kept coming off. other than that it does work. i still have the original vf4d engine. I am thinking of selling it, it does need work, so if someone is interested , let me know.

OP
OP
B

Beekeeper

I know it's late but a few years ago I bought the kit vanguard engine. I am not a machinist or welder so i couldn't modify what they sent me, the previous member was right it's pricey and it wasn't a drop in. I spent 3000 for the setup and let me just say that i didn't get any help from the company at all. The engine, using the sheave as reference should have fit in the middle of the hole on the left side of the frame, it didn't it was too high and at the upper right side of the hole. I also had to drill new mounting holes. The pump and the bracket they provided doesn't match up too well either, cant move it as its welded. kept coming off. other than that it does work. i still have the original vf4d engine. I am thinking of selling it, it does need work, so if someone is interested , let me know.
I have the engine set in place and from what I can tell everything looks fine. I have taken the machine down to the frame and replacing most all bearings in the drive line. I am also converting some of the metal hydraulic lines to flexible stainless braided hoses, should make hookup a lot easier. The hydraulic pump fits right on the housing supplied and it should be easy to service if necessary. I will be posting a few pics as I get further along.

Latest posts