555LX Right Side Drive Not working

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

92LX555

I think I know the answer here but just looking for another set of eyes. Lost all drive on the right side motor over the weekend. Makes no noise and no lights come on signalling low pressure. Levi at loadersource rebuilt the right side motor (complete rebuild including the shaft) less than 100 hours ago. Have had a leak from the main pump that I have been chasing my tail on and as a result have water in the hydro fluid. Fluid is not clean and milky color. Replaced the hose running to the motor as I thought it had a leak. Old line was 1 1/4" and new line is 1". I am thinking I probably just need to fix the leak and drain all of the fluid and clean filters. Then put new fluid in and I should be good to go. Any other ideas? All other Hyrdaulics work fine, which is why I am hesitant. Would the fluid quality not affect more than just one drive side motor?

Tazza

Staff member
When the oil goes milky, as you know its a sign of water. Water in oil changes how it lubricates. Its very possible the lack of lubrication has damaged the drive pump... Even the moisture in the water can cause rust inside the lines and pump(s)/motor(s). You really need to clean the system! and you may need to pull the pump down to see what is damaged. Can you swap the drive motors from side to side? if so, it will confirm if its the pump or motor. If the problem swaps sides, its the motor, if it doesn't, its the pump.
Get the oil clean! thats the best advise i can give... Clean oil is a must in any hydraulic system.

OP
OP

92LX555

When the oil goes milky, as you know its a sign of water. Water in oil changes how it lubricates. Its very possible the lack of lubrication has damaged the drive pump... Even the moisture in the water can cause rust inside the lines and pump(s)/motor(s). You really need to clean the system! and you may need to pull the pump down to see what is damaged. Can you swap the drive motors from side to side? if so, it will confirm if its the pump or motor. If the problem swaps sides, its the motor, if it doesn't, its the pump.
Get the oil clean! thats the best advise i can give... Clean oil is a must in any hydraulic system.
Really don't want to swap the drive motors as it is not an easy task. When the drive motor went before it made an awful sound. This time around, no sound, it just stopped working. That right side drive motor in particular is a fair amount of work to get to the bolts to remove the motor. Guess I should start with draining the system and seeing what happens.

OP
OP

92LX555

Was thinking about this more....pretty sure issue was not lack of lubrication as no warning lights went off and the motor did not struggle at all. It just gave out and stopped driving. My thoughts are that if it was lack of lubrication that the motor would have stuttered for a bit.

Tazza

Staff member
Was thinking about this more....pretty sure issue was not lack of lubrication as no warning lights went off and the motor did not struggle at all. It just gave out and stopped driving. My thoughts are that if it was lack of lubrication that the motor would have stuttered for a bit.
Lack of lubrication would cause the most damage at the pump actually. You have the rotating group rubbing on the valve plate at 2-3000 RPM. If there was a lack of lubrication here, it will wear ,and fast. The drive motors only turn when fluid is pushing through it, so they essentially never run dry, unless its out of oil and rolling.
I hope its not the pump.
Warning lights only indicate low charge pressure or high temperature. It does not detect how well the oil is lubricating. Like a car, if you leave the old oil in the engine and simply keep adding, the oil pressure light won't come on as there is pressure. But the oil has been breaking down and isn't doing what it should be, water does horrible things oils lubrication properties.

OP
OP

92LX555

Lack of lubrication would cause the most damage at the pump actually. You have the rotating group rubbing on the valve plate at 2-3000 RPM. If there was a lack of lubrication here, it will wear ,and fast. The drive motors only turn when fluid is pushing through it, so they essentially never run dry, unless its out of oil and rolling.
I hope its not the pump.
Warning lights only indicate low charge pressure or high temperature. It does not detect how well the oil is lubricating. Like a car, if you leave the old oil in the engine and simply keep adding, the oil pressure light won't come on as there is pressure. But the oil has been breaking down and isn't doing what it should be, water does horrible things oils lubrication properties.
Took the supply hose and can spin the sprocket which sends fluid back up through the port so pretty sure lubrciation is not the issue. But now that I think about this should I be able to spin the sprocket freely? Can't recall how much I spun it so it could just be the play. Perhaps I need to call Levi

OP
OP

92LX555

Took the supply hose and can spin the sprocket which sends fluid back up through the port so pretty sure lubrciation is not the issue. But now that I think about this should I be able to spin the sprocket freely? Can't recall how much I spun it so it could just be the play. Perhaps I need to call Levi
After thinking about this more I am willing to bet that I broke a chain. I will be pulling the side cover tonight to find. I did some checking, local New Holland dealer wants $278 for the chain. What I think is the same chain at TSC is $57.99.

OP
OP

92LX555

After thinking about this more I am willing to bet that I broke a chain. I will be pulling the side cover tonight to find. I did some checking, local New Holland dealer wants $278 for the chain. What I think is the same chain at TSC is $57.99.
Pulled the side cover last night and found the problem. On the end of the splined shaft coming off of the drive motor the screw had broke that held the small sprocket on. This small sprocket drove the large sprocket that drives the chain. Found all of the pieces in the resevoir and grabbed a new bolt and problem fixed.

Tazza

Staff member
Pulled the side cover last night and found the problem. On the end of the splined shaft coming off of the drive motor the screw had broke that held the small sprocket on. This small sprocket drove the large sprocket that drives the chain. Found all of the pieces in the resevoir and grabbed a new bolt and problem fixed.
Glad its all fixed!

irwin

"Pulled the side cover last night and found the problem. On the end of the splined shaft coming off of the drive motor the screw had broke that held the small sprocket on. This small sprocket drove the large sprocket that drives the chain. Found all of the pieces in the resevoir and grabbed a new bolt and problem fixed."
Great, glad you're back up and functional.
and thanks for updating this thread, it's a bit disappointing when doing a search and finding something of interest, but no resolution.

Latest posts