4x4 rims on a skidsteer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Straydog

I'm very slowly making progress on rebuilding a New Holland lx565. The wheels on the machine aren't original and are 12x16.5. They also seem to sit quite a way out from the body making the total width 1840 mm. The problem is that the bucket width is only 1670 mm. I also have a set of sold airboss tyres but the rubber segments are pretty much had it. There aren't any distributors for that brand in Australia but have been advised the segments are about $35 each so it would be too expensive to replace them. I'm wondering about cutting the centers out of these rims and welding them into some old 4x4 16" rims. That way I could get the wheelbase width back to standard and also be easily able to source second hand tyres. What are your thoughts on this idea? I'm sure its been done before but is there any potential problems with the idea?

SkidRoe

I think that your plan has merit, I did the same thing for the 12" rims I have on mine, using garden tractor rims. The biggest concern that I would have is the rim size and the availability of the proper tires. Most, if not all, modern skidsteer tires (R-4 tread pattern) are meant for 16.5" rims. This rim size was popular in North America back in the '70's on 3/4 ton pickup trucks. You may want to check your tire and rim availability before going too far. Also, (I am assuming that you have 8 lug rims) the 8-lug bolt pattern is common between most skidsteer manufacturers, so this opens up your choice if you can find a set of used rims from say a Bobcat or a Thomas machine, etc. HTH.

OP
OP
S

Straydog

I think that your plan has merit, I did the same thing for the 12" rims I have on mine, using garden tractor rims. The biggest concern that I would have is the rim size and the availability of the proper tires. Most, if not all, modern skidsteer tires (R-4 tread pattern) are meant for 16.5" rims. This rim size was popular in North America back in the '70's on 3/4 ton pickup trucks. You may want to check your tire and rim availability before going too far. Also, (I am assuming that you have 8 lug rims) the 8-lug bolt pattern is common between most skidsteer manufacturers, so this opens up your choice if you can find a set of used rims from say a Bobcat or a Thomas machine, etc. HTH.
If I did go with plan I would be using road type tyres, not the r4 tread type. I'm using it on hard ground so I'm thinking that should be ok. I've seen quite a few skid steers with a fairly smooth tread pattern being used. Old 16" tyres are easy to come by but 16.5" are nearly impossible. My concern though would be the strength of a rim from a 4x4 after it has been welded.

SkidRoe

If I did go with plan I would be using road type tyres, not the r4 tread type. I'm using it on hard ground so I'm thinking that should be ok. I've seen quite a few skid steers with a fairly smooth tread pattern being used. Old 16" tyres are easy to come by but 16.5" are nearly impossible. My concern though would be the strength of a rim from a 4x4 after it has been welded.
Understood. Do you guys still get Ford F250's down there? They might be a direct fit - they have 8 lug hubs. This may save you from having to do any welding.

want2wheel

Understood. Do you guys still get Ford F250's down there? They might be a direct fit - they have 8 lug hubs. This may save you from having to do any welding.
There are companies here that make centers for wheels. 6x6x6 made them for recentering hummer wheels to use offroad and rock crawling.

want2wheel

There are companies here that make centers for wheels. 6x6x6 made them for recentering hummer wheels to use offroad and rock crawling. The 8 lug wheels were the older style that were non superduty are the ones that may fit. The superduty ones are metric bolt patern.

Latest posts