444, 500, 600, 610 "Hot Butt"

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mightymouse

Title caught your attention, huh? When running my machine with the engine and exhaust so close to the seat it gets a bit warm back there. Has anyone tried to make a heat shield of some sort to put behind the seat? I could move the exhaust back some but I worry if I lengthen the exhaust tubes too far will I change the back pressure in a way that affects the engine performance? I also thought about installing a radiator fan between the seat and engine. With the air flow going towards the engine it could keep me cool and help keep the engine cooler as well. Thoughts?

6brnorma

What engine are you running? We run 610s with the Wisconsin engine all day (in Arizona) and never have a problem.

shankatank58

What engine are you running? We run 610s with the Wisconsin engine all day (in Arizona) and never have a problem.
I think I would go to a junkyard and see what kind of a heatshield I could come up with. Most everything uses them on their exhaust these days. You'd be surprised how a little something can make a big difference. Also I wouldn't be too concerned about backpressure as long as you can keep it fairly straight and at full size. Most things don't run "tuned" exhaust anyways.

Hotrod1830

I think I would go to a junkyard and see what kind of a heatshield I could come up with. Most everything uses them on their exhaust these days. You'd be surprised how a little something can make a big difference. Also I wouldn't be too concerned about backpressure as long as you can keep it fairly straight and at full size. Most things don't run "tuned" exhaust anyways.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-177201/overview/ . Something like this should work well. You can also wrap the exhaust pipe with header heat wrap, but its about the same price and will cause your pipe to rust out.

OP
OP
M

mightymouse

6brnorma, I'm running a Predator engine form Harbor Freight now and was running an old onan 18 hp prior to that. With both engines the heat from the exhaust and engine right behind the seat made for a hot time. The seat has a bottom cushion with a small back cushion that leaves a large 8" space between for the heat to pass through. I'm not sure if the onan was the original engine or not but I am curious if the heat was an issue when they designed the 444 and 500.

6brnorma

6brnorma, I'm running a Predator engine form Harbor Freight now and was running an old onan 18 hp prior to that. With both engines the heat from the exhaust and engine right behind the seat made for a hot time. The seat has a bottom cushion with a small back cushion that leaves a large 8" space between for the heat to pass through. I'm not sure if the onan was the original engine or not but I am curious if the heat was an issue when they designed the 444 and 500.
MM…..I've never owned a running 444 or 500 and the only M-600D I had was running a Deutz (as I recall). I don't recall it being an issue but I didn't have it very long. The way we sit right on top of those engines with absolutely no heat shield, I can see where it might be an issue but we just haven't experienced it with the Wisconsin engine. I have zero experience with the Predator engine….I wonder if the guys that run the Briggs engine have any issue with heat.

greenhouseman

mightymouse is that Harbor Freight motor working out for you I have a bobcat 520 I am thinking about getting one for it I was wondering how much you had to do to make it work

Slick1951

Please post or make a YouTube video on your install of the preditor install, thanks.

foton

Please post or make a YouTube video on your install of the preditor install, thanks.
I have a 500 that is fitted with a tjd 18 hp Wisconsin I am still working out the bugs. But I have noticed the heat also , I was thinking of a 12 volt squirrel cage blower to push the air away from the back of the seat in the summer ,letting it heat me some in the winter.