440B exhaust

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rjitreeman0909

My 440B (LITTLE BOB) has a Honda GX630 engine and home made y pipe to a universal muffler outside the body. System works but tilting cab necessitates muffler removal.With that said, I want/ need to mount the muffler transversly inside the engine compartment. Hard to justify the high dollar OEM exhaust systems that will still need to be cut up to work in this application. Looking for input re what others have done with the exhaust on their Honda repower. Bob the Treeman

SkidRoe

I put a GX620 clone in my 440B about 10 years ago. I simply cut a hole in the back door and let the pipe protrude out the back. Has worked with no issues.

SkidRoe

Here is a picture:
100_0444.jpg picture by SkidRoe

Cheers - SR

OP
OP
R

rjitreeman0909

Here is a picture:

Cheers - SR
My solution is to use PO's Y pipe, add a 90 to the left, add pipe and a 180 to go to the left side of the engine bay then feed muffler which is a universal tractor unit with main body length of less than 12 inches. Secure muffler with rubber mounts to allow motion to accomodate any engine motion. The "TAILPIPE" will be another 90 aimed at the OEM hole thru the door. Whole new assembly will be welded and appropriately clocked toward the OEM hole. Will not extend thru the door. Possibly add a deflector on the door, possibly oversized pipe. This will aim exhaust to rear and make cab area a little quieter while prevent rain entry. Comments please.

SkidRoe

My solution is to use PO's Y pipe, add a 90 to the left, add pipe and a 180 to go to the left side of the engine bay then feed muffler which is a universal tractor unit with main body length of less than 12 inches. Secure muffler with rubber mounts to allow motion to accomodate any engine motion. The "TAILPIPE" will be another 90 aimed at the OEM hole thru the door. Whole new assembly will be welded and appropriately clocked toward the OEM hole. Will not extend thru the door. Possibly add a deflector on the door, possibly oversized pipe. This will aim exhaust to rear and make cab area a little quieter while prevent rain entry. Comments please.
Sounds like it should work, I would be interested in seeing a picture.
The concern that I would have would be with attaching the exhaust mounts to the frame. I know you said that you will be rubber mounting the system, so mounts with high degree of compliance would be advised to prevent the exhaust from cracking. The entire engine and pump assembly is rubber mounted in the frame and can move, your mounts will have to do the same, and will have to absorb both high and low frequency vibration.
There also could be a concern of having that much exhaust plumbing in the engine compartment, rejecting heat, raising the engine compartment temperature.
Ideally, you also want the exhaust exit as far away from any point of entry in the cab as possible, to keep exhaust gases away from the operator. If you do not have a window in the back of your cab, you may want to consider installing one. I put one in mine out of an S70.
That is my $0.02. I am really interested in seeing what you come up with.
Cheers - SR

SkidRoe

FWIW - here is what my muffler looks like:
100_0445.jpg picture by SkidRoe

I was not able to install the upper stock heat shield over the muffler as the new muffler sits higher than the original, but it has not been a problem.
Cheers - SR

OP
OP
R

rjitreeman0909

FWIW - here is what my muffler looks like:

I was not able to install the upper stock heat shield over the muffler as the new muffler sits higher than the original, but it has not been a problem.
Cheers - SR
After reviewing my post and lookibg at available space, I ha a much simpler muffler mount. The muffler will be suspended horizontally transversely via rubber dog bones from the roof or extended portion of the main body of the machine, including a heat shield. Keeping the muffler as far as possible from the front wall of the upper engine compartment. Much simpler than first post and will only require the creation of a new exhaust hole in upper left corner of the door. Appropriate body work and paint back to original bobcat orange.

Latest posts