4 in 1 Bucket Pivot pin removal.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Luthor

I need to do some welding on my bucket and to make things easier to handle I would like to seperate the two halves of the bucket. My problem is that the pivot pins are very tight and don't want to move. Anyone have any past experience at removing these pins without destroying anything?

Tazza

Staff member
I have done it, but as for not destroying anything that is just not possible.
The only way i could do it was to use a hack saw to cut through the pins (mine weren't hardened) to seperate the 2 pieces. I then welded a screw on addaptor to the end of the pin and slide a spacer over it and screwed a pull ram into it. I then pumped the ram up as hard as it would go then heat the boss around the pin with an oxy and if it didn't move hit it with a punch to crack the rust. It would then just slide out with the ram. This way basically draws it out with a 10 tonne porta power, well it rekons its 10t but i don't think its that strong.
The only other way is to drill it out, but that would be even worse!
I you do pill the pins, make sure you replace the nylon bushes and i would even install grease nipples if they aren't on it (mine doesn't have any).
I am going to make a larger ram just for this job, i have another bucket i need to pull the pins out of. Its going to be about 3-4 times the capacity of the one i have now.
I hope this is of a little help. Its not what you wanted to hear but it was the only way i could get it out.

OP
OP
L

Luthor

I have done it, but as for not destroying anything that is just not possible.
The only way i could do it was to use a hack saw to cut through the pins (mine weren't hardened) to seperate the 2 pieces. I then welded a screw on addaptor to the end of the pin and slide a spacer over it and screwed a pull ram into it. I then pumped the ram up as hard as it would go then heat the boss around the pin with an oxy and if it didn't move hit it with a punch to crack the rust. It would then just slide out with the ram. This way basically draws it out with a 10 tonne porta power, well it rekons its 10t but i don't think its that strong.
The only other way is to drill it out, but that would be even worse!
I you do pill the pins, make sure you replace the nylon bushes and i would even install grease nipples if they aren't on it (mine doesn't have any).
I am going to make a larger ram just for this job, i have another bucket i need to pull the pins out of. Its going to be about 3-4 times the capacity of the one i have now.
I hope this is of a little help. Its not what you wanted to hear but it was the only way i could get it out.
Well 25 tons of brute hydraulic force sure got those pins moving, I will post pictures of the tooling I made for this job later.

Tazza

Staff member
Well 25 tons of brute hydraulic force sure got those pins moving, I will post pictures of the tooling I made for this job later.
Excellent, i would like to see this. I have an old, VERY old ram here that i want to modify and attach quick couplers to so i can use my aux hydraulics for power. I can then use it for pulling pins or to install/remove bushings.
I plan on using say a 1" rod and a 3" cylinder and 2,500 PSI, that should give me a fair bit of pulling power.

OP
OP
L

Luthor

Excellent, i would like to see this. I have an old, VERY old ram here that i want to modify and attach quick couplers to so i can use my aux hydraulics for power. I can then use it for pulling pins or to install/remove bushings.
I plan on using say a 1" rod and a 3" cylinder and 2,500 PSI, that should give me a fair bit of pulling power.
DSC00041.jpg picture by Luhtor

Tazza

Staff member
Do you have a pic of how it sits on the bucket? I used a pull ram on mine, i welded the pin to a threaded rod that screwed onto the ram stick, installed a sleeve and it draws the pin out. Mine were a little tight and had to cut the pin and pull it from either side.

OP
OP
L

Luthor

Do you have a pic of how it sits on the bucket? I used a pull ram on mine, i welded the pin to a threaded rod that screwed onto the ram stick, installed a sleeve and it draws the pin out. Mine were a little tight and had to cut the pin and pull it from either side.
Sorry about the post yesterday that had no text or anything, I am still getting the hang of posting images.
This puller/pusher or whatever worked well in removing the frozen pins without any damage.
DSC00037.jpg picture by Luhtor

DSC00031.jpg picture by Luhtor

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry about the post yesterday that had no text or anything, I am still getting the hang of posting images.
This puller/pusher or whatever worked well in removing the frozen pins without any damage.
Now i understand how it hooks on the bucket :) My way kind of destroys the pins, but they were pretty far gone before i even started on them. All i know is i need to get around to building a larger, more powerful ram!
So, thats just an attachment for the porta power ram? not a dedicated pin pusher/puller.

OP
OP
L

Luthor

Now i understand how it hooks on the bucket :) My way kind of destroys the pins, but they were pretty far gone before i even started on them. All i know is i need to get around to building a larger, more powerful ram!
So, thats just an attachment for the porta power ram? not a dedicated pin pusher/puller.
I actually built it specifically for this application although I hope that, with a combination of different bolt lenghts and front plates, it may be used for other tasks.

Latest posts