319D cranks but will not start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

britten44

319D was idling when the suddenly it sounded different. I shut the machine off. When I went back to it, it struggled to start but it fired up. Now it will crank and act like it wants to start and sputter but will not run. Where should I start troubleshooting? Can someone share a copy of the service/repair manual? Thanks for any help.

foton

i would start by looking at the whole fuel system , and check the air filters too.

OP
OP
B

britten44

So far I have only checked the inline fuel filter and then also opened the drain on the bottom of the spin on filter. I was hoping to get a copy of the manual to how to check the fuel system.

oiu789

Take a injection line off and spin it to see the fuel is being delivered to the injectors, If so check the timing of the injection pump. I had a JD326d that the timing jumped and that is what it did.

ozarkag

The John Deere 2.4 Liter diesel, as in the D series loader, has a fuel return tee/ pressure regulating valve, # RE537400 that can fail and lower the fuel supply pressure. It is located on the side of the head, left side towards the front. I believe you can watch the pressure through the service menu in the dash, should be approx. 29 psi. If it drops lower than that at over 1800 rpm engine speed will set a code. If you have low pressure you can kink the return to tank line for just a second, while watching the pressure, if the lift pump and fuel supply is good, and the tee/ valve is weak, kinking the line will cause the pressure to spike.

OP
OP
B

britten44

I pulled the fuel line from the spin on fuel filter to the engine and cranked the engine. About a teaspoon of fuel dribbled out for each revolution. If I pushed the primer pump on top of the spin on filter a significant amount of fuel was pumped out. I tried pumping the primer while cranking but it did not help. I took off the valve cover off but no sure what to do from here. Thoughts? Can someone share the procedure for testing the fuel system?
The John Deere 2.4 Liter diesel, as in the D series loader, has a fuel return tee/ pressure regulating valve, # RE537400 that can fail and lower the fuel supply pressure. It is located on the side of the head, left side towards the front. I believe you can watch the pressure through the service menu in the dash, should be approx. 29 psi. If it drops lower than that at over 1800 rpm engine speed will set a code. If you have low pressure you can kink the return to tank line for just a second, while watching the pressure, if the lift pump and fuel supply is good, and the tee/ valve is weak, kinking the line will cause the pressure to spike.
@ozarkag - I will try kinking the line. If the pressure spikes should it start? I will see if I can monitor fuel pressure in service menu and also look for active and stored codes. Thanks.

OP
OP
B

britten44

Take a injection line off and spin it to see the fuel is being delivered to the injectors, If so check the timing of the injection pump. I had a JD326d that the timing jumped and that is what it did.
The injection lines are under the valve cover. Should I spin the engine with the cover off??

OP
OP
B

britten44

Not yet. I pulled the valve cover and did not have time to put it back yet. I plan on putting it in Service Mode, cranking, and watching the fuel pressure and retrieve all codes. I will post after. Thanks!