2010 Bobcat s150 with 3200 hrs vs 2003 Bobcat 863 with 1300 hrs

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

vtecjc

Trying to get a used skidster to move manure and logs. Have two options that would fit the bill but having trouble making a decision. Thoughts?

Phil314

Those are 2 very different machines. 863 has almost double hp and capacity.
Figure out how much 'lift/tip' you really need, that will tell you which one.

OP
OP
V

vtecjc

I was surprised at how close the load and tipping load are on the two models. S150 1500/3000 and the 863 1900/3800. Am worried more about cost of maint/repair on the Deutz vs Kubota and the two machines

OP
OP
V

vtecjc

Those are 2 very different machines. 863 has almost double hp and capacity.
Figure out how much 'lift/tip' you really need, that will tell you which one.
I was surprised at how close the load and tipping load are on the two models. S150 1500/3000 and the 863 1900/3800. Am worried more about cost of maint/repair on the Deutz vs Kubota and the two machines

reaperman

The Deutz has a timing belt that is advised to be changed around 2000 hours and takes a special tool, the Kubota has timing gears. Otherwise the Deutz is oil cooled, not a bad thing, they run pretty efficiently.

JimH

I've had a used 863 and more recently I had a used S185 and liked both. I would say that those hours make the 863 sound good, but don't overlook other things, like how they were maintained, what they were used for, how they were stored and what other features they have.

Can you get the maintenance history, or else look at things like looseness in the pins?
How about rust damage beyond just surface stuff. Over time, rust can make seized fasteners a real challenge. Looking under the cab, is it full of dirt, mulch, manure, mud, rust, oil leakage?
How long has the current owner had it, and was it used for loading and things that are pretty easy on them, or for demolition and cement break-up tear out work, that can be pretty hard on them?
Does it appear that there are make shift replacement parts or missing parts?
Is it open or closed cab? Heat? A/C?
Is it responsive to the controls, not lagging in the lift or tilt, and nicely responsive to forward and back.
And, why is the current owner getting rid of them? Is it a good plausible story.
Good luck

Latest posts