1997 753 Bobcat Bob-tach Problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

I live in Brisbane, Australia. Its nice and cool at the moment, generally between 8-20 C
Mower
Just live with the slop for now, this is real common and at 1/8" its not going to break anytime real soon.
In the off season get two new bosses made with hardend bushings in them. cut the old ones out and weld the new in.
Then hopefully if the boss becomes loose again, you can just pound out the bushings and replace them. I just did this to my 853 on all 3 bobtach pins.
Tympkin bearings is a good source for bushing with common bores and Od's sizes.
Ken

OP
OP
J

Joe288

Mower
Just live with the slop for now, this is real common and at 1/8" its not going to break anytime real soon.
In the off season get two new bosses made with hardend bushings in them. cut the old ones out and weld the new in.
Then hopefully if the boss becomes loose again, you can just pound out the bushings and replace them. I just did this to my 853 on all 3 bobtach pins.
Tympkin bearings is a good source for bushing with common bores and Od's sizes.
Ken
Well Got the bobtach bushings replaced a little bit of work there but done. Now to the bushing in the lift arm is another story Ive been beating on that one for hours no luck I think from running lose for that long of a time it seems the Bushing fused itself together with the lift arm I'm going to try my Snapon reamer set on it to see if i could get it close to the OD of the bushing But with this dam heat here I'm just about worn out Ive ben trying to do it later in the day when it cools down but with all the flooding that happened before the heat came the bugs are draining me of all my blood i really don't think i got much left at this point, at one time i looked at my legs and if there wasn't fifty bites on both legs in the last ten minutes I said myself tomorrow is another day and ran out of there!!!!

Tazza

Staff member
Well Got the bobtach bushings replaced a little bit of work there but done. Now to the bushing in the lift arm is another story Ive been beating on that one for hours no luck I think from running lose for that long of a time it seems the Bushing fused itself together with the lift arm I'm going to try my Snapon reamer set on it to see if i could get it close to the OD of the bushing But with this dam heat here I'm just about worn out Ive ben trying to do it later in the day when it cools down but with all the flooding that happened before the heat came the bugs are draining me of all my blood i really don't think i got much left at this point, at one time i looked at my legs and if there wasn't fifty bites on both legs in the last ten minutes I said myself tomorrow is another day and ran out of there!!!!
The lift arm has no bushing, its a tapered hole that the pin locks in to with the bolt to hold it in. Or are you refering to where the ram attaches to the centre of the arms?
LOL at the bugs, i totally know what you mean. The mozzies have been bad here all year, they usually don't come out in winter but they have been horrible.

OP
OP
J

Joe288

The lift arm has no bushing, its a tapered hole that the pin locks in to with the bolt to hold it in. Or are you refering to where the ram attaches to the centre of the arms?
LOL at the bugs, i totally know what you mean. The mozzies have been bad here all year, they usually don't come out in winter but they have been horrible.
My 97 753 Has a bushing where the tapered pin goes into the arm. The bushing is tapered too on both sides of the bushing ID and OD are tapered and let me tell you its a bitch to get out!! to hot to even try it today 92 Tuesday and Wednesday are supposed to be 98 to 100 > I'm thinking of trailering it to my shop to work on it just way to hot to work out in the beating sun

Tazza

Staff member
My 97 753 Has a bushing where the tapered pin goes into the arm. The bushing is tapered too on both sides of the bushing ID and OD are tapered and let me tell you its a bitch to get out!! to hot to even try it today 92 Tuesday and Wednesday are supposed to be 98 to 100 > I'm thinking of trailering it to my shop to work on it just way to hot to work out in the beating sun
Got ya, a tapered taper bushing.... that will indeed be hard to get out.
Worst case, you could try running a bead of weld from the back to the front to get it to collapse. The other way is to make a slide hammer, weld a bar, say 2-3' long to the bushing. Drill a hole in a good size piece of steel that will move freely on the bar. Weld a stop at the end on the rod to strike the weight on. Just slide the weight back and hit the stop a few times and it should shock it out. The good 'ol home made slide hammer i have has gotten me out of trouble quite a few times!. Any old piece of junk you have lying around could do the job.

OP
OP
J

Joe288

Got ya, a tapered taper bushing.... that will indeed be hard to get out.
Worst case, you could try running a bead of weld from the back to the front to get it to collapse. The other way is to make a slide hammer, weld a bar, say 2-3' long to the bushing. Drill a hole in a good size piece of steel that will move freely on the bar. Weld a stop at the end on the rod to strike the weight on. Just slide the weight back and hit the stop a few times and it should shock it out. The good 'ol home made slide hammer i have has gotten me out of trouble quite a few times!. Any old piece of junk you have lying around could do the job.
Well I got that last pain in the ass bushing fixed it wouldn't come out no matter what i did so out came the torches and reamers burnt it out reamed it bigger put the new bushing in and MIG welded it in there forever. Hopefully the bolt will never run lose again while I'm on watch. Had to bring it to my shop to do it but it was well worth it. and my buddy that has a rollback needed to have Five or six bucket removed from his front yard so he went to my land picked it up i fixed it then i will do what he needs done then he said he will take it back to my land for me it all worked out in the end. And Thanks guys for all your input I'm sure i will be talking to you all in this forum again looks like you are a great bunch of guys Thanks again Joe

Tazza

Staff member
Well I got that last pain in the ass bushing fixed it wouldn't come out no matter what i did so out came the torches and reamers burnt it out reamed it bigger put the new bushing in and MIG welded it in there forever. Hopefully the bolt will never run lose again while I'm on watch. Had to bring it to my shop to do it but it was well worth it. and my buddy that has a rollback needed to have Five or six bucket removed from his front yard so he went to my land picked it up i fixed it then i will do what he needs done then he said he will take it back to my land for me it all worked out in the end. And Thanks guys for all your input I'm sure i will be talking to you all in this forum again looks like you are a great bunch of guys Thanks again Joe
Glad its all sorted out!
There isn't alot you can't fix with an oxy torch and a welder.
Don't forget the hammer!

Eric

Glad its all sorted out!
There isn't alot you can't fix with an oxy torch and a welder.
Don't forget the hammer!
I hope you used loctite on the threads. It seems to seal the deal.

OP
OP
J

Joe288

I hope you used loctite on the threads. It seems to seal the deal.
Yes Sir I did!!! don't want to go down that road again All New Bushing Pins Bolts Seals and loctite Them in place Thanks For you help Guys