1994 bobcat 543 b

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

buddy

I have discovered my drive joint won't take grease it is sloppy and it won't be long before it goes bullistic. Does anyone know a trustworthy mechanic any where in denver ? i have called bobcat and they tell me 12 hrs.@ 99.00 $per hr. to remove engine. Then of course theres parts on top of that ! (ouch).... I have read on this fourm that many of the seasoned vets. can remove engine in as little as 2 hrs. so i have a feeling that good-ol bobcat is putting the screws to my wallet ? have searched google but to no avail. any help / info. would be great. Thanks Mark

Tazza

Staff member
12 hours, are you kidding me?
You should be able to do the job if you have a little lifting gear and a helper. If you are up to the challenge, i'm happy to give a pointers as to what you need to do.
I have only done this on 743s, but your machine should be pretty close, just smaller.

OP
OP
B

buddy

12 hours, are you kidding me?
You should be able to do the job if you have a little lifting gear and a helper. If you are up to the challenge, i'm happy to give a pointers as to what you need to do.
I have only done this on 743s, but your machine should be pretty close, just smaller.
Tazza i believe i will take the challenge ! i'm currently looking for a suitable location as i have a good shop however the ceiling is to low 8' so i don't believe i'll be able to tilt the rops back to get my large 295 # butt in to line the splines up when it's time for replacement. however i'm sure i'll figure something out...help will also be an issue at that time. I have a cd (pdf) format that takes forever to read how ever it does give specs. if you could send me step by step directions it would be VERY helpfull .the cd has thease directions but download is so slow i'll have the job finished before the 2nd page is loaded ( it's that slow).I can print your directions at work in a few seconds. Never hurts to read up first to discover any pitfalls... I have 2 floor jacks. 1 motorcycle lift. also 1 tranny jack do you think i'll be able to utilize thease ? looks like the harley jack might just be the ticket! any idea what the weight of the 3 cyl. kubota plus fan unit is ? thanks again for the offer. Mark

jerry

Tazza i believe i will take the challenge ! i'm currently looking for a suitable location as i have a good shop however the ceiling is to low 8' so i don't believe i'll be able to tilt the rops back to get my large 295 # butt in to line the splines up when it's time for replacement. however i'm sure i'll figure something out...help will also be an issue at that time. I have a cd (pdf) format that takes forever to read how ever it does give specs. if you could send me step by step directions it would be VERY helpfull .the cd has thease directions but download is so slow i'll have the job finished before the 2nd page is loaded ( it's that slow).I can print your directions at work in a few seconds. Never hurts to read up first to discover any pitfalls... I have 2 floor jacks. 1 motorcycle lift. also 1 tranny jack do you think i'll be able to utilize thease ? looks like the harley jack might just be the ticket! any idea what the weight of the 3 cyl. kubota plus fan unit is ? thanks again for the offer. Mark
When I did my 632 a few years ago bobcat quoted me $1000 for the job. First one I ever did and it took about 5 hours in and out including lunch and sitting thinking about it. I did get the parts at bobcat though , at the time it was the easiest and about the same price as others.

Tazza

Staff member
When I did my 632 a few years ago bobcat quoted me $1000 for the job. First one I ever did and it took about 5 hours in and out including lunch and sitting thinking about it. I did get the parts at bobcat though , at the time it was the easiest and about the same price as others.
I had issues with space too, i have like a car port that i have done a fair bit of work under, but it's not tall enough to lift the rops under the roof. What i did was to back the machine up to the door way with enough room for the rops to lift up and not hit the roof.
Put a bottle jack under the rear to make sure it doesn't tip back. I then removed the 4 engine mounts, fuel and coolant lines, wires too. Once all that was free, i used a chain block inside the car port to lift the engine up and pull it out and drop to the floor.
I don't know what the engine and fly wheel would weigh, but the V1702 that i have removed before, i did with a 300lb air hoist. It is heavy enough for it to not hold the weight, but it will lift it. I think if you estimated about 300kg you should be close to the mark. Some use alloy fly wheels, so they weigh less.
With the engine out, work on your u-joints, when putting it back in, don't opush it all the way forward. Get it in far enough for the coupler to still clear the pump shaft. Get a helper to bump the engine forward slowly with a bar. Keep your fingers clear while holding the coupler up to engage the splined shaft. It may stop when trying to engage, get the helper to rotate the engine slowly and it shoudl engage.
Its really not a hard job to do. I had an engine from running to running in about 3 hours, that included the repairs to the U-joint i needed to do.

OP
OP
B

buddy

I had issues with space too, i have like a car port that i have done a fair bit of work under, but it's not tall enough to lift the rops under the roof. What i did was to back the machine up to the door way with enough room for the rops to lift up and not hit the roof.
Put a bottle jack under the rear to make sure it doesn't tip back. I then removed the 4 engine mounts, fuel and coolant lines, wires too. Once all that was free, i used a chain block inside the car port to lift the engine up and pull it out and drop to the floor.
I don't know what the engine and fly wheel would weigh, but the V1702 that i have removed before, i did with a 300lb air hoist. It is heavy enough for it to not hold the weight, but it will lift it. I think if you estimated about 300kg you should be close to the mark. Some use alloy fly wheels, so they weigh less.
With the engine out, work on your u-joints, when putting it back in, don't opush it all the way forward. Get it in far enough for the coupler to still clear the pump shaft. Get a helper to bump the engine forward slowly with a bar. Keep your fingers clear while holding the coupler up to engage the splined shaft. It may stop when trying to engage, get the helper to rotate the engine slowly and it shoudl engage.
Its really not a hard job to do. I had an engine from running to running in about 3 hours, that included the repairs to the U-joint i needed to do.
I pulled her into the garage last night tried to raise rops. it did raise enough to lay across the pump and reach my right hand in and i can grab the spline yolk. it is very very tight squeze . can you tell me about how long the pump shaft is ? i assume the new joint will flop down on the re install this may cause some arm length problems as were talking mere inches of room. i had the same idea to back up next to the door however right at the door line the driveway drops off @ a 30 degree angle witch would cause a multitude of re install problems with jack being level and machine pointing downward. so i'm afraid i'm kinda stuck inside the shop. i thought if worse came to worse i could always let the air out of the tires to gain a few precious inches of head room. ahother thought was to wrap the new joint with 1 or 2 rounds of duct tape on the joints to help keep it straighter on re-entry only problem is how to remove ? another thought was to just let to disintergrate by itself i dont know if the little shards of tape would screw up the squrrel cage cooling or not. i'm really 'really ...open to any thoughts on the matter ??? . does the squrrel cage just slide out of the plastic shroud or does the shroud have to be removed ? thanks for all your help on this fourm after reading many different posts your knowledge seems to be vast.... ever think of running for congress something just might get accomplished !!!! thanks Mark

OP
OP
B

buddy

I pulled her into the garage last night tried to raise rops. it did raise enough to lay across the pump and reach my right hand in and i can grab the spline yolk. it is very very tight squeze . can you tell me about how long the pump shaft is ? i assume the new joint will flop down on the re install this may cause some arm length problems as were talking mere inches of room. i had the same idea to back up next to the door however right at the door line the driveway drops off @ a 30 degree angle witch would cause a multitude of re install problems with jack being level and machine pointing downward. so i'm afraid i'm kinda stuck inside the shop. i thought if worse came to worse i could always let the air out of the tires to gain a few precious inches of head room. ahother thought was to wrap the new joint with 1 or 2 rounds of duct tape on the joints to help keep it straighter on re-entry only problem is how to remove ? another thought was to just let to disintergrate by itself i dont know if the little shards of tape would screw up the squrrel cage cooling or not. i'm really 'really ...open to any thoughts on the matter ??? . does the squrrel cage just slide out of the plastic shroud or does the shroud have to be removed ? thanks for all your help on this fourm after reading many different posts your knowledge seems to be vast.... ever think of running for congress something just might get accomplished !!!! thanks Mark
tazza : update... Pulled the engine last night you were exactly right it's not that big of a job took about 3.5 hrs including thinking time...re install should be alot faster now that i'm acuainted with what to do and when to do it. I can't believe bobcat wanted 12 hrs. labor for an experenced tech. to do this job. Thanks for the advice it has been the deciding factor on weather to do this job or not. Glad I did as the joints were in a lot worse condition than I thought.. I estimate maybe only 1 or 2 hrs left before bullistic... only one cap with 8 pins left' one cap with hole worn compleatly through the side. Overall very poor cond. Dodged a bullitt on this one. Mark

Tazza

Staff member
tazza : update... Pulled the engine last night you were exactly right it's not that big of a job took about 3.5 hrs including thinking time...re install should be alot faster now that i'm acuainted with what to do and when to do it. I can't believe bobcat wanted 12 hrs. labor for an experenced tech. to do this job. Thanks for the advice it has been the deciding factor on weather to do this job or not. Glad I did as the joints were in a lot worse condition than I thought.. I estimate maybe only 1 or 2 hrs left before bullistic... only one cap with 8 pins left' one cap with hole worn compleatly through the side. Overall very poor cond. Dodged a bullitt on this one. Mark
Glad you got it all fixed. Bobcat wanted 12 hrs to do the job, and you showed that someone that has never pulled an engine can get it done quicker than they can.
You were lucky that you took the time to do the reapair befoer the u-joint failed.

jerry

Glad you got it all fixed. Bobcat wanted 12 hrs to do the job, and you showed that someone that has never pulled an engine can get it done quicker than they can.
You were lucky that you took the time to do the reapair befoer the u-joint failed.
This u joint repair comes up often Tazza , maybe you could put your description of how to change it under the FAQ section. There will always be a call for it.

Tazza

Staff member
This u joint repair comes up often Tazza , maybe you could put your description of how to change it under the FAQ section. There will always be a call for it.
That's not a bad idea, i'll have to try and make some time to do it.

Tazza

Staff member
That was quicker than i thought, very basic guide is now in the FAQ area

OP
OP
B

buddy

That was quicker than i thought, very basic guide is now in the FAQ area
Decided to replace glow plugs while engine is out had to use bobcat for u-joints. price for u-joints=213.00 including tax. bobcat price for glow plugs( Kubota d-950) = 121.33 EACH X 3 -TOTAL =363.99.... glow plugs( kubota factory plugs from ohio) 12.64 each shipping from ohio to colorado= 13.00 total =50.92...I may be new at this but didn't just fall off the turnip truck either ??? wonder why i'm starting to not trust bobcat service centers ? Mark

Tazza

Staff member
Decided to replace glow plugs while engine is out had to use bobcat for u-joints. price for u-joints=213.00 including tax. bobcat price for glow plugs( Kubota d-950) = 121.33 EACH X 3 -TOTAL =363.99.... glow plugs( kubota factory plugs from ohio) 12.64 each shipping from ohio to colorado= 13.00 total =50.92...I may be new at this but didn't just fall off the turnip truck either ??? wonder why i'm starting to not trust bobcat service centers ? Mark
Yeah.... On some items they are like that, there must be gold in them there plugs!
High turn over things are well priced generally.

OP
OP
B

buddy

Finally got special order parts from bobcat (spider joints) glow plugs etc. Put engine back in and running in less than 2.5 hrs. purrs like a kitten.... so the total time for removal 3.5 hrs.= replace 2.5 hrs=6.0 hrs for a newby not bad...did it in half the time bobcat wanted. (12 hrs. saved myself $1200.00 and the beauty part is.. now i know how that part of my machine works (priceless).... Thanks Tazza ! Mark

Tazza

Staff member
Finally got special order parts from bobcat (spider joints) glow plugs etc. Put engine back in and running in less than 2.5 hrs. purrs like a kitten.... so the total time for removal 3.5 hrs.= replace 2.5 hrs=6.0 hrs for a newby not bad...did it in half the time bobcat wanted. (12 hrs. saved myself $1200.00 and the beauty part is.. now i know how that part of my machine works (priceless).... Thanks Tazza ! Mark
6 hours is pretty damn good for a first time remove/replace, especially to do the plugs while in there, excellent job. Even better about the saving of $1,200 :)