1980 Bobcat 530

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ymurf

Looks like I am going to have yo take the front valve off that the steering rod goes through..Will never be able to get into the chains and axles and maybe not be able to get the plate off with it on there. Might as well do like you did and put mew orings in it since Ill have it off..It does drip a little.

OP
OP
T

trobbl

I just heard from a commenter on the video where I fixed the leak on the steering shaft that there is an easier fix than my method. He said you can dig out those o-rings with a pick from the outside. That would have saved me a lot of work removing the engine to get to that valve. Even if you end up pulling the valve, getting at those o-rings from the outside might save you a little work.

ymurf

Well I got the front pump valve thing off tonight. The book shows a o ring part #6519704 that should have been between them. There was nothing when I took it apart.. No gasket or oring. Have you hade yours off yet? It is the block that the fluid goes on from the tank.

Attachments

• oring.jpg
    oring.jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
T

trobbl

I've never had the front portion of that pump apart. The back section I took apart uses a gasket that is pressed steel almost like a head gasket, but I don't see anything like that for the front. I'm looking at the diagram too and I agree, it looks like an o-ring is the only thing needed. I got some hits when googling that part number, but I see a lot of "backordered" on the sites. If you have a Bobcat dealer nearby with a good parts counter guy you might be able to get some help tracking down that o-ring.

ymurf

Do you know if the belly pan has a drain? Going to fix the axle seal and put new chains on and my oil in there is milky..
Also called Bobcat about that o ring..No luck there. They dont have them anymore and couldnt even give me a size of it.

OP
OP
T

trobbl

I don't think mine has a drain. Wes from Watch Wes Work on Youtube uses a suction pump that works really good to get all that oil out. You could get by with a hand pump like they use for gear oil but it's going to take a while. Why would a manufacturer not put a drain there? All I can think of on that o-ring is to measure if you have a good caliper and find something close at McMaster Carr or Grainger.

ymurf

I have lots of calipers. I have actually been a machinist for 36 years. Actually last 10 I am supervisor over brake form Dept and I do cad and programming. But still have all my tools.

ymurf

I have the 4 bolts out of the pump and it separated about an inch but wont come apart any farther? Has a hard stop like the shaft don't want to come out. Am I missing something? Is that shaft got some kind of keeper that wont let it come out more than an inch or so?

OP
OP
T

trobbl

It's been a while, but I think mine pulled apart with no problem after I got the 4 bolts out. I worked on the side of the pump that connects to the engine. I'm not sure if the opposite side is different. I looked through the service manual, but it is pretty light on details about that pump. The parts diagrams don't provide many clues on it either.

ymurf

It was actually catching on the plate underneath. Pried up a little and pulled right out. Stuck a wrench on the axle bolt and it wont budge. Cant start mine like you did to loosen it..Going to sleep on it tonight and come up with something tomorrow I hope.

ymurf

Bought a tool that goes in the wrench and you put a breaker bar in that..Worked like a charm.Bearing came out in pieces..Inside bearing pitted bad. Now I need to decide if I want to take other 3 axles out and put new bearings in all 4 axles. I am realy considering it since I will have all the chains off replacing them as well. Did you cut your old chains off or use a chain breaker?

ymurf

Did you replace your bearing and race also? Was wondering what tool you got the race off with. I went to harbor freight and bought a bearing puller but it wont work on the race.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

trobbl

I replaced one bearing, but the races were in good shape. I'd bet there is a good tool for that, but I've never researched it.

ymurf

Everyone online look like they weld a bead around the race and when it cools it will come right out. Going to give that a try..Then take a long pry bar and go through the axle tube and knock the inside out. I will let you know how this goes.

ymurf

Took allot of weld but got the race out. Going to order bearings and seals for all 4 axles and two 10 foot 60h chains.

oiu789

I don't think mine has a drain. Wes from Watch Wes Work on Youtube uses a suction pump that works really good to get all that oil out. You could get by with a hand pump like they use for gear oil but it's going to take a while. Why would a manufacturer not put a drain there? All I can think of on that o-ring is to measure if you have a good caliper and find something close at McMaster Carr or Grainger.
I use Baum Hydraulics Corp.
1221 Harney St,
Omaha, NE 68102
Phone: (800) 228-9222

oiu789

I use Baum Hydraulics Corp.
1221 Harney St,
Omaha, NE 68102
Phone: (800) 228-9222

OP
OP
T

trobbl

Took allot of weld but got the race out. Going to order bearings and seals for all 4 axles and two 10 foot 60h chains.
Great progress! I know there's a lot of work ahead, but I'd say you're defiantly over the hump.

Latest posts