1977 CASE 1830 Uniloader Gas

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

txtmblwd

We have an older 1830 skid steer that we were getting ready to move some snow around earlier today and we were having some trouble with the right hand side locking up or not operating in either forward or reverse, The oppposing side works just fine, so all im able to do is drive around in circles.however occassionally it will free up and continue operating as normal before locking up again.. Prior to this incident we have had no problems with this machine or felt any loss of power on either side,which is why im puzzled as to why it would be acting this way? any help or suggestions would be greatly apreciated

OP
OP
T

txtmblwd

Likely a drive chain problem. Ether a chain has stretched to the point it jumping off a sprocket or has enough slack that it's binding up. When the problem side is working right jack the loader up and rotate the tires back and forth by hand to compare the difference betwen the each side.
See part diagram here http://www.colemanequip.com/Case-1830-Uniloaders-Skid-Steer-Loaders-Parts/No-Description-2a/DRIVE-CHAIN-AND-GEARS-0rDJ/?#partdiagrams
ok sounds good how do i gain access to the chain drive area?, i'm kinda new to any and all mechanics of skid steer repairing but if its something i can do myself im willing to give it a try, ..thanks for ur advice

Hotrod1830

ok sounds good how do i gain access to the chain drive area?, i'm kinda new to any and all mechanics of skid steer repairing but if its something i can do myself im willing to give it a try, ..thanks for ur advice
both chain compartments have a cover plate on top. They look like a pain to remove, but with the loader raised and locked up they will just slide forward and out when all the bolts are removed. While you have the covers off, be sure and check the wheel bearings. Now is a good time to service them if you find one loose. A really loose/worn bearing could also cause what you are describing.

OP
OP
T

txtmblwd

both chain compartments have a cover plate on top. They look like a pain to remove, but with the loader raised and locked up they will just slide forward and out when all the bolts are removed. While you have the covers off, be sure and check the wheel bearings. Now is a good time to service them if you find one loose. A really loose/worn bearing could also cause what you are describing.
thanks hopefully this is within my capabilities,also if it is the chain can it be repaired or just replaced and where would i be able to pick one up at,also i might add that when it does lock up and u try to engage the wheels it sounds like something is being stresses and the engine sounds like it is attempting to stall, but just when the wheels are ceased up and attempting to drive

OldMachinist

thanks hopefully this is within my capabilities,also if it is the chain can it be repaired or just replaced and where would i be able to pick one up at,also i might add that when it does lock up and u try to engage the wheels it sounds like something is being stresses and the engine sounds like it is attempting to stall, but just when the wheels are ceased up and attempting to drive
It does sound like a chain is binding up but like HotRod1830 said it could also be a wheel bearing. Be sure to inspect the sprockets also while your in there.
You should be able to get chain at any bearing supply house, ag or heavy equipment dealer or you can order them online. I get chain from McMaster-Carr just because they are easy to order from come with a connector link and I get them the next day. http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/1019/=avjc9c
Just remove the old chains measure them for size and count how many links you need.

Hotrod1830

I was able to remove a link from the rear chains, and I had to replace the fronts. There are 6 chains in all. front,rear and motor on each side. I was able to just adjust the motor chain on both sides. As OldMachinist said, you can usually get the chain local. I got the wheel bearings and seals on ebay.

OP
OP
T

txtmblwd

I was able to remove a link from the rear chains, and I had to replace the fronts. There are 6 chains in all. front,rear and motor on each side. I was able to just adjust the motor chain on both sides. As OldMachinist said, you can usually get the chain local. I got the wheel bearings and seals on ebay.
alrights thanks for all ya'lls advice i will get in there when the weather lets up and let ya know how it goes

OP
OP
T

txtmblwd

alrights thanks for all ya'lls advice i will get in there when the weather lets up and let ya know how it goes
Ok, so i removed the chain cover plate , and slid it out and sure enough the chain was completely off of the rear sprocket!Spot on u guys! it was bunched up near the center sprocket and causing the entire right side to cease up, Also there are ,what i thought to be large rocks in the chain compartment surrounding the sprokets,but turns out they were chunks of ice, maybe all the ice built up around the sprockets and chains caused the chain to slip off that rear sprocket? Wondering if i just reposistion the chain on the sprocket if it will be okay or if i should replace the chain anyway? it appears to be okay?

OldMachinist

Ok, so i removed the chain cover plate , and slid it out and sure enough the chain was completely off of the rear sprocket!Spot on u guys! it was bunched up near the center sprocket and causing the entire right side to cease up, Also there are ,what i thought to be large rocks in the chain compartment surrounding the sprokets,but turns out they were chunks of ice, maybe all the ice built up around the sprockets and chains caused the chain to slip off that rear sprocket? Wondering if i just reposistion the chain on the sprocket if it will be okay or if i should replace the chain anyway? it appears to be okay?
If it was me and I already had the chaincase open I'd just put on new chains. If all it took was for ice to make it jump off it was likely pretty loose.

Tazza

Staff member
If it was me and I already had the chaincase open I'd just put on new chains. If all it took was for ice to make it jump off it was likely pretty loose.
I second OM's recommendations. For a chain to jump off a sprocket, it has to be worn. Check the teeth on the sprockets too, be sure they are ok. BUT be careful, when they wearm they can get some razor sharp edges, i have been cut a few times.

OP
OP
T

txtmblwd

I second OM's recommendations. For a chain to jump off a sprocket, it has to be worn. Check the teeth on the sprockets too, be sure they are ok. BUT be careful, when they wearm they can get some razor sharp edges, i have been cut a few times.
ok so i figure out the chain and sprocket are fine but when i jack up that side of the skid steer the back rear right tire has way to much movement,like its real woobly, so i'm guessing it needs to tightened somehow? or maybe new bearings or hubs? i really dont know . any ideas?

Tazza

Staff member
ok so i figure out the chain and sprocket are fine but when i jack up that side of the skid steer the back rear right tire has way to much movement,like its real woobly, so i'm guessing it needs to tightened somehow? or maybe new bearings or hubs? i really dont know . any ideas?
That makes more snese why it jumped off. Sounds like your bearings went out. There should be NO movement in/out or side to side. I don't know the procedure, but the bobcats have a bolt through the sprocket, remove it then press the axle out, replace the bearings, put the chain and sprocket on, do up the bolt, check for any end play, then you're done.

OldMachinist

That makes more snese why it jumped off. Sounds like your bearings went out. There should be NO movement in/out or side to side. I don't know the procedure, but the bobcats have a bolt through the sprocket, remove it then press the axle out, replace the bearings, put the chain and sprocket on, do up the bolt, check for any end play, then you're done.
Your axle bearings look to be easier than a Bobcat. Remove the sprocket, unbolt axle housing and replace the bearings/seals.
CaseAxle.jpg

OP
OP
T

txtmblwd

Your axle bearings look to be easier than a Bobcat. Remove the sprocket, unbolt axle housing and replace the bearings/seals.
Alright thanks gentlemen i ordered new seals and bearings and as soon as they get in i'll attempt to replace them,sounds fairly simple, thanks for all ya'lls help

OP
OP
T

txtmblwd

Alright thanks gentlemen i ordered new seals and bearings and as soon as they get in i'll attempt to replace them,sounds fairly simple, thanks for all ya'lls help
So bearings came in today,..but i think i may be in over my head. i removed the wheel, attampted to remove axle housing but have one stripped nut so i'm stuck, removed cotter pin then bolt + removed sprocket from shaft, pulled out the hub, however new bearing kit looks nothing like what i pulled out; shards of metal + bearings tore completely to pieces ... cannot get new bearings to slide onto hub shaft. help please!! I am 23 years old and have lil or no expeirence with any type of mechanic work, i rarely even change the oil in my truck but rather take it to 15min lube place. can anyone explain in good detail/steps how to go about this task,. or should i should call a, equipment mecanic lol

Hotrod1830

So bearings came in today,..but i think i may be in over my head. i removed the wheel, attampted to remove axle housing but have one stripped nut so i'm stuck, removed cotter pin then bolt + removed sprocket from shaft, pulled out the hub, however new bearing kit looks nothing like what i pulled out; shards of metal + bearings tore completely to pieces ... cannot get new bearings to slide onto hub shaft. help please!! I am 23 years old and have lil or no expeirence with any type of mechanic work, i rarely even change the oil in my truck but rather take it to 15min lube place. can anyone explain in good detail/steps how to go about this task,. or should i should call a, equipment mecanic lol
A couple of the studs that hold the hubs on may actually be bolts. You will need to hold the back side with a wrench. Mine was that way anyway. As for the bearings, you will need a press to get them off. Best bet is to load them up and take them to a machine shop. they will be happy to help you with them, for a fee of course. When you ge tthem installed, be sure and pump a little grease in the zerts on the side of the hubs. Not to much or the seals will push out.

OP
OP
T

txtmblwd

A couple of the studs that hold the hubs on may actually be bolts. You will need to hold the back side with a wrench. Mine was that way anyway. As for the bearings, you will need a press to get them off. Best bet is to load them up and take them to a machine shop. they will be happy to help you with them, for a fee of course. When you ge tthem installed, be sure and pump a little grease in the zerts on the side of the hubs. Not to much or the seals will push out.
alright assuming i can take off the axle housing, i will then have to take the bearings to a machne shop to get them pressed onto the shaft, should both inner and outer bearings be pressed on at the machine shop then will i just be abe to slide them back through the axle housing? and the seals, the seals i recieved in my case bearing kit, do not resemble anything currently assebled on shaft or axle, so im not sure how exactly to/where to install, wheel bearing kit b93176

jerry

alright assuming i can take off the axle housing, i will then have to take the bearings to a machne shop to get them pressed onto the shaft, should both inner and outer bearings be pressed on at the machine shop then will i just be abe to slide them back through the axle housing? and the seals, the seals i recieved in my case bearing kit, do not resemble anything currently assebled on shaft or axle, so im not sure how exactly to/where to install, wheel bearing kit b93176
Just looking at the diagram I would say to take housing and all in to a competent shop for assembly. Parts for these things are just too expensive and hard to find to risk screwing up and you can use the extra time to really clean the chain case of metal particles from the bad bearing. all depends on cash situation sometimes though and certainly you can do it yourself just take your time.

Latest posts