1845c starter click

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bluffcam

This has been a problem with my 1845c since i got it at auction 2 years ago.
I have tried the usual fixes increasing in cost as the fix does not solve the problem.
first cleaned, wire brushed terminals and nuts on starter and battery and reattached.
then replaced battery
then replaced starter
then replaced battery isolation switch.
still clicking randomly when unit is trying to start.
my next part to replace was the ignition switch. then i ran across this on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...Track=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us
it looks like this is a somewhat common problem and is solved by bypassing the starter selonoid with a auto store one.
Has anyone heard of this problem on a 1845c? looks like it might be worth a try

Tazza

Staff member
Thats probably the first thing i would have replaced. Thats just a relay, you put it in the engine bay, feed it power from the battery and the wire that goes to the starter from the key switch. Run the new wire from the relay to the terminal on the starter that you took the wire off.
In simple terms: a relay is an electrical switch, your starter has one built in but it draws a LOT more power than this one will. When you have a loose ground, bad connection or long wiring you have a lower current carrying ability to keep the relay in the starter energized. When there isn't enough power to sustain the magnetic field you hear the starter click as the plunger is released and grabbed.
Hopefully that will shed a little light on the subject. If the clicking is due to power loss in your wiring, a relay will fix the problem. These can be bought CHEAPLY at most auto stores, i think mine cost AUD $10 each.
That relay boasts 500A carrying capacity, seriously all you need is like 5A!!!! This relay will not replace the main one on the starter.

OP
OP
B

bluffcam

Thats probably the first thing i would have replaced. Thats just a relay, you put it in the engine bay, feed it power from the battery and the wire that goes to the starter from the key switch. Run the new wire from the relay to the terminal on the starter that you took the wire off.
In simple terms: a relay is an electrical switch, your starter has one built in but it draws a LOT more power than this one will. When you have a loose ground, bad connection or long wiring you have a lower current carrying ability to keep the relay in the starter energized. When there isn't enough power to sustain the magnetic field you hear the starter click as the plunger is released and grabbed.
Hopefully that will shed a little light on the subject. If the clicking is due to power loss in your wiring, a relay will fix the problem. These can be bought CHEAPLY at most auto stores, i think mine cost AUD $10 each.
That relay boasts 500A carrying capacity, seriously all you need is like 5A!!!! This relay will not replace the main one on the starter.
Thats good info, now i have to figure out how to wire it and what type of selonoid to use.
Is this what would be required?
http://www.maliburacing.com/starter_solenoid.html
thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Thats good info, now i have to figure out how to wire it and what type of selonoid to use.
Is this what would be required?
http://www.maliburacing.com/starter_solenoid.html
thanks
Thats the exact same setup. Any small relay would do the job, remember you aren't switching the main power to the starter, you are just powering the solenoid on the starter so you really only need one that is rated as say 5 amps, but most automotive relays are rated at 30 or more amps. The larger the contact rating, in theory will make the relay last longer (to a point).
If you have any problems just give me a yell.