1816 bucking when turning

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I just picked up a case 1816 off ebay. The bucket is smooth but the drive hydraulics are jumpy when turning left. It bucks pretty bad, enough to not be safe. When I looked at the boxes the controls are connected too. One will move side to side but theres a spring in between them. So is this supposed to have play in it? Other then that any ideas what this could be? At low speeds it doesnt do it or with light turns.

Tazza

Staff member
Never worked on one so i can't say about the spring, but the most common cause of them jumping is play in the linkages. Check they are tight from the sticks to the pump. Even a small amount of play at the pump will make it jerk quite a bit.

lesgawlik

Here's my opinion. The drive belt on the RIGHT is slipping. I've had 2 1816's and they both bucked like crazy. It's hard to run them on asphalt, or any other high-friction surface. On loose dirt, sand or mud, they're great. Don't run them full throttle unless you need to, and as you said, make light turns. And I wouldn't loosen up the left drive belt, either. In order to replace those belts you have to remove the engine. That's an easy thing, but putting it back drove me crazy getting those fine thread bolts to start in blind holes. I just spend a fair bit getting a shop to revise the engine mount do I could slide it back 1/2 inch to slip a belt over the pulleys.

lesgawlik

Here's my opinion. The drive belt on the RIGHT is slipping. I've had 2 1816's and they both bucked like crazy. It's hard to run them on asphalt, or any other high-friction surface. On loose dirt, sand or mud, they're great. Don't run them full throttle unless you need to, and as you said, make light turns. And I wouldn't loosen up the left drive belt, either. In order to replace those belts you have to remove the engine. That's an easy thing, but putting it back drove me crazy getting those fine thread bolts to start in blind holes. I just spend a fair bit getting a shop to revise the engine mount do I could slide it back 1/2 inch to slip a belt over the pulleys.
That was backwards. The LEFT drive belt would be slipping, which would allow you turn right without bucking.

OP
OP
sectlandscaping
That was backwards. The LEFT drive belt would be slipping, which would allow you turn right without bucking.
Ill look at the belts wasnt thinking about that. I did tighten some of the linkage today. I managed to get it to drive straight without having to let off one control. Whoever painted it didnt put the washers back on the hand controls. Does anyone have some information on how to adjust the linkage from the manual? The fluid is still clear. It looks like motor oil not atf. I wasnt thinking something mightve been clogging a valve. The dealer said it sounds like a bearing in the drive motor but there 60 miles away. The moving from the drive valves is by design. When I turn the drive on the belts tighten and cause the drives to flex out. The spring helps them return when you put the brake on.

lesgawlik

Ill look at the belts wasnt thinking about that. I did tighten some of the linkage today. I managed to get it to drive straight without having to let off one control. Whoever painted it didnt put the washers back on the hand controls. Does anyone have some information on how to adjust the linkage from the manual? The fluid is still clear. It looks like motor oil not atf. I wasnt thinking something mightve been clogging a valve. The dealer said it sounds like a bearing in the drive motor but there 60 miles away. The moving from the drive valves is by design. When I turn the drive on the belts tighten and cause the drives to flex out. The spring helps them return when you put the brake on.
What sort of clutch do you have? I'm just curious, it wouldn't likely have anything to do with differential turning. I know they put on centrifugal and electric clutches. I've read that there were a few manual clutches as well. Tazza is right about the adjusting the sticks. One of the 1816s I had bucked so hard I thought I was going to flip over on level ground. I have a very good shop and they adjusted the linkage. I don't know what they did, but it worked.

OP
OP
sectlandscaping
What sort of clutch do you have? I'm just curious, it wouldn't likely have anything to do with differential turning. I know they put on centrifugal and electric clutches. I've read that there were a few manual clutches as well. Tazza is right about the adjusting the sticks. One of the 1816s I had bucked so hard I thought I was going to flip over on level ground. I have a very good shop and they adjusted the linkage. I don't know what they did, but it worked.
I have what looks like a hand brake but its not. When you pull it up it tightens the drive belts and powers the wheels. If Im in neutral I can turn left and right 360 degrees with no problems. When I'm moving and turning though it bucks like it might be going back in forth from reverse to forward.