Buying a Case 1816

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JaseBosto

I am purchasing a 1816. It has the original Tecumseh motor in it. The guy I am buying it from has a good reputation for honesty in this town so that's a good thing.
It starts right up and runs fine. It will need a belt replaced soon(worn).

I am getting it for what I consider a real good price.

Questions for all you: What should I go over on this machine as proactive maintenance? Anything I should be checking out? Any tips on make the belt changing a bit easier?

Thanks in advance.

foton

I do not know if you want to keep it all orginal or not but if you do not know this tecumseh has been out of production for quite a while now , I would be looking for a good parts engine ,expecially ingition parts. I know most of the mag/coils are long gone and there are conversions out there but I had timing issues with the one I got it ran ok but not as good as the orginal. good luck

OP
OP
J

JaseBosto

I'm not really interested in keeping it original. I am getting this to be useful on my property for things such as firewood and other farm duties.
I wanted a small skid steer for the portability. I plan on maintaining the engine as good as possible, but if/when it goes I will replace it with whatever engine is most ideal and for a reasonable price.
What engine are people putting in these 1816's now?

foton

I do not know about case but there is you tube videos of people using the harbor freight predator they have a new 15+ hp single cylinder in bobcats. the 500 bobcat I had was retro fitted with a 18 hp wisconsin 2 cylinder air cooled it worked ok. I think predator has a 2 cylinder 20 some horse power about 1000.00 bucks. but to make life as easy as possible you need to use what ever crank the machine was designed for. And pick a engine from there.

OP
OP
J

JaseBosto

So here it is. It runs well. Engine is a Tecumseh but I do not think its the original engine, the way the engine mount is clearly modified. No way to know how long ago this engine was put in.
The guy I got it from did some rewiring including the box with the switches in it.

As for how well it move around, I have never operated a 1816 before. I have operated other older Case skid steers though.
Its a little jerky but not bad. When I move the sticks forward or backward there is some amount of play before it will move. This could be normal or it might not be. So I will go over all the linkage to make sure everything is tight.

Attachments

• Case1.jpg
    Case1.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Case2.jpg
    Case2.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Case3.jpg
    Case3.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 66
  • case4.jpg
    case4.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 64
  • case5.jpg
    case5.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 65
  • case6.jpg
    case6.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 72
  • case7.jpg
    case7.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 69

foton

I think that is a 16 hp ohv engine those are pretty tuff , maybe just good maint. on your part and that engine will last longer than you. hahahah the only thing I would do is make a screen to cover the flywheel fan to stop leaves and whatever from getting sucked into the cooling system. I think in the late 60 ies sears roper garden tractors used that engine.

OP
OP
J

JaseBosto

I think that is a 16 hp ohv engine those are pretty tuff , maybe just good maint. on your part and that engine will last longer than you. hahahah the only thing I would do is make a screen to cover the flywheel fan to stop leaves and whatever from getting sucked into the cooling system. I think in the late 60 ies sears roper garden tractors used that engine.
How smoothly should the machine move around?

foton

I have never ran a case skid steer but the machines that I have ran ( bobcat ,cat ,wacker-neuson)all take a different touch on the controls, but that one having such a short wheelbase will increase it being jumpy I would think. I would try running it only as fast( RPM wise) as you need, till you get the feel for it.

Rlachermeier

I have an 1816C. Mine has the original Onan engine. As far as the jerkiness goes it all depends upon the throttle at least as far as my experience goes. On a side note when I picked up my Bobcat 753 I was going to get rid of the 1816C I'm really glad I didn't because the 1816 comes in much more handy on smaller jobs.

OP
OP
J

JaseBosto

I changed the hydraulic oil filter and most of the fluid. It made a huge difference.
The implement pump belt was loose, I tightened that up and sprayed belt conditioner on the belts. They will have to be changed at some point but are in acceptable condition for now.
Changing the filter made a huge difference. It looked like the hyd fluid was fresh but it was clear the filter has not been changed in a very long time.
The machine isnt jumpy at all now. It operates exactly as I feel an older skid steer should.

I also changed the engine oil. There was not a pipe to make draining engine oil easier. Because of that I am certain it was neglected in years past. Also because of that it was nearly impossible not to spill oil everywhere. But I did plumb up 3/8 NPT to make the draining process very easy because I plan to change the oil very frequently.

OP
OP
J

JaseBosto

Little update. Since I got the 1816 I noticed that the engine rpms were very difficult to control. If the clutch wasnt engaged the rpms would skyrocket. Turning down the throttle lever would only decrease rpms a little bit but at that point if I engaged the clutch the engine would stall. I realized this is definitely a governor issue.
So I took a look at the manual for adjustment. Followed the procedure and in doing so I realized that the governor spring was hooked to the incorrect point. There are six holes and it was supposed to be hooked to the lower right hole, and it was hooked to a middle left hole.
I corrected that, and adjusted the governor arm again.
The result was it now runs as it should, engine rpms are easily controlled and now the machine can be run at an appropriate rpm instead of redline rpms.
At any rpm, the machine is now even easier to control and runs and operates exactly as it should.

I am purchasing a 1816. It has the original Tecumseh motor in it. The guy I am buying it from has a good reputation for honesty in this town so that's a good thing.
It starts right up and runs fine. It will need a belt replaced soon(worn).

I am getting it for what I consider a real good price.

Questions for all you: What should I go over on this machine as proactive maintenance? Anything I should be checking out? Any tips on make the belt changing a bit easier?

Thanks in advance.
As for what to look for? Check to see if the engine is putting out a charge to maintain the battery. I say this because some have electric clutches that engage the Hyd. Motors and if that Alternator or stator is bad it will not charge the battery and the electric clutches will not work all the time. If it has electric clutches. Other than that, I agree look for engines that fit and are not to large for the system. There is no need to over power it. If the Unit works well as it sits now go get it. Also check the Hyd rods for pitting or damage when extended.. Cracked welds and all that good stuff. If its a fair price you can enjoy this for many years. Try lifting a weight of some sort to make sure it still lifts. Check the hydraulic oil to make sure it smells like oil not burnt. Oil leaks and so on. Like a car basically. Try turning on a dirt road to make sure it turns or has the power to turn. Noises that do not sound right also.

armour

Look good at the belts that go to the drive pumps, if they warn different or a not same brand of belt, one pump may be going out.
I am looking for a pump maybe you could ask him for me it he knowns of a used parts sourse.
Good little machines, well built. resonable to work on. They do not seen to lift as heavy of a load as you would think so check that on your test as mine onlys likes to lift 3/4 of bucket of gravel not heaping. (may be just mine)

OP
OP
J

JaseBosto

This 1816 has a manual clutch. No electric or centrifugal.
I have replaced belts and it was pretty easy with this clutch setup.
Hydraulics are very strong and the cylinders are visually in great shape. It will easily lift enough to tip it over.
The motor was converted to electronic ignition sometime ago. And the battery seems to get charged fine.

When I got this I thought it wouldn't push my 5' snow plow due to lack of traction but as it turns out it does very well even without chains.. Its not very hard to stall out the motor, it is only 16hp. If I am pushing snow and try to lift the plow at the same time its asking a lot of the motor. The plow is pretty heavy though and hangs about 2' in front of the bucket.

When working the motor hard sometimes it belches out some smoke. I am not too surprised about this as its probably over 40 years old.
I am going to run it as is for the foreseeable future but someday I will put the 20hp Predator in it.

pogo

I had a 1816 with auto clutch. Ran it for 27 years, wore out a set of tires, Tecumseh engine. Mine would also belch some when working hard, keep the oil up [10-40 Amailie] and change regular and it will do you well. When I used it one year for snow it was a hoot putting it in a 4 wheel drift down the driveway..

pogo

I had a 1816 with auto clutch. Ran it for 27 years, wore out a set of tires, Tecumseh engine. Mine would also belch some when working hard, keep the oil up [10-40 Amailie] and change regular and it will do you well. When I used it one year for snow it was a hoot putting it in a 4 wheel drift down the driveway..
1818 now that I restored.

Attachments

• IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    399.5 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts