180 degree 30 Ton Woodsplitter

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nailsbeats

Here is the woodsplitter I built a few weeks ago. I recently acquired 20 cord of wood in mankiller size blocks, perfect time to build the splitter I have been dreaming about. This unit uses a 5" ram with a 30" stroke and will split a 32" block. I left 2" between the pushblock and wedge to leave room for a 4-way wedge I may add latter. Key features are the expanded metal on top of the I-beem for traction, ball hitch on the front to move other splitters or trailers on site, can be manually rotated 180 degrees, mounted to a 3" shaft so the quick-tach can be removed and used for other future attachments. Wedge is made of 1" mild steel with a mill beveled edge. If you look closely you will also see that it is set at a 5 degree angle towards the skid. If you were ever thinking about building or buying one of these I would say go for it. This attachment exceeds all of my expectations.
DSCN0789.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
One more picture, different angle.
Thats a monster!
I was going to build one a while back, i have re-built the ram, 6" bore, about 18" stroke, so its only small, but it should do all i need. I wanted to make mine self powered but i'm leaning towards Bobcat powered. I just never got the time to complete the job.....

OP
OP
N

nailsbeats

Thats a monster!
I was going to build one a while back, i have re-built the ram, 6" bore, about 18" stroke, so its only small, but it should do all i need. I wanted to make mine self powered but i'm leaning towards Bobcat powered. I just never got the time to complete the job.....
One thing about Bobcat powered is that the pump never slows down, you get a preasure spike and CRACK the wood almost explodes, it is awesome, huge performance difference over 2-stage pumps. I have 2 other splitter to use once the wood is in a manageable state, keeps unneeded hours off my machine. Trying to chase down the small stuff with this unit takes a lot more time than just 1/4ing and putting on the self powered unit later. I feel the best combination is a Bobcat mounted splitter for big stuff and a self powered for the smaller pieces, that is if you have the means to have both. If you had 2 guys you could flip the splitter 180 degrees and have one guy feed it while the other runs it from in the cab, sounds a little dangerous though as I saw my brother get his thumb caught in one of our other splitters a month or so ago. If my dad wouldn't have been close enough to here him screem and stop it he would only have 9 fingers. The preasure caused the skin to explode from the inside out, a little glue in the emergency room and he was all set. For the record he also cut his knee with a chainsaw a few months before that, 3 separate 4-5 inch cuts, once again emergency room. Oh yeah, I almost forgot that between those two incidences he took a widowmaker to the head after dropping a 30" pine and broke his hardhat. Kind left him in a dazed state. Well that is my brother. A little dangerous in the woods but a master fabricator in the shop. Any questions about the splitter let me know.

vinrum

One thing about Bobcat powered is that the pump never slows down, you get a preasure spike and CRACK the wood almost explodes, it is awesome, huge performance difference over 2-stage pumps. I have 2 other splitter to use once the wood is in a manageable state, keeps unneeded hours off my machine. Trying to chase down the small stuff with this unit takes a lot more time than just 1/4ing and putting on the self powered unit later. I feel the best combination is a Bobcat mounted splitter for big stuff and a self powered for the smaller pieces, that is if you have the means to have both. If you had 2 guys you could flip the splitter 180 degrees and have one guy feed it while the other runs it from in the cab, sounds a little dangerous though as I saw my brother get his thumb caught in one of our other splitters a month or so ago. If my dad wouldn't have been close enough to here him screem and stop it he would only have 9 fingers. The preasure caused the skin to explode from the inside out, a little glue in the emergency room and he was all set. For the record he also cut his knee with a chainsaw a few months before that, 3 separate 4-5 inch cuts, once again emergency room. Oh yeah, I almost forgot that between those two incidences he took a widowmaker to the head after dropping a 30" pine and broke his hardhat. Kind left him in a dazed state. Well that is my brother. A little dangerous in the woods but a master fabricator in the shop. Any questions about the splitter let me know.
Nailbeats, Do you and your brother sell these splitters, or is it just a hobby..I havent seen one with that much quality and ability to split wood that big..please let me know, I would be interested in one

Thanks
Steve

OP
OP
N

nailsbeats

Nailbeats, Do you and your brother sell these splitters, or is it just a hobby..I havent seen one with that much quality and ability to split wood that big..please let me know, I would be interested in one

Thanks
Steve
Sorry so late on the reply. We are proffesional fabricators, but we just build this stuff as a hobby. If you want one almost like it take a look at this site.
http://www.qualityweldingservice.com/30tonsplitter.html
This is one I looked at before building mine. It has the same power and can split the same size wood. 5" ram with a 1" wedge at a 5 degree angle, that is the key to splitting the big wood.
The only real difference is that I used a separated quick tach plate so I can roll mine upright, or use the quick tach for something else. This should be a mean machine, made in the U.S.A., right here in Wisconsin as a matter of fact. Good luck.
Nels

DaveArk

Sorry so late on the reply. We are proffesional fabricators, but we just build this stuff as a hobby. If you want one almost like it take a look at this site.
http://www.qualityweldingservice.com/30tonsplitter.html
This is one I looked at before building mine. It has the same power and can split the same size wood. 5" ram with a 1" wedge at a 5 degree angle, that is the key to splitting the big wood.
The only real difference is that I used a separated quick tach plate so I can roll mine upright, or use the quick tach for something else. This should be a mean machine, made in the U.S.A., right here in Wisconsin as a matter of fact. Good luck.
Nels
Look at another one. http://www.ramsplitter.com/BOBCAT.html

jklingel

Look at another one. http://www.ramsplitter.com/BOBCAT.html
What are the specs on the beam? I am going to build one w/ a 5" ram, too, but w/ an outside valve, to avoid having one guy run the loader while another guy has his hand in the wrong place. Sometimes it is just hard to coordinate two people, and things happen. This way, I can cut off my own finger. Also, look at Timberwolf splitters, if anyone wants more ideas. They have a nice adjustable-height wedge setup, etc. j

perry

What are the specs on the beam? I am going to build one w/ a 5" ram, too, but w/ an outside valve, to avoid having one guy run the loader while another guy has his hand in the wrong place. Sometimes it is just hard to coordinate two people, and things happen. This way, I can cut off my own finger. Also, look at Timberwolf splitters, if anyone wants more ideas. They have a nice adjustable-height wedge setup, etc. j
That's nice, you can also pick them up and move around I guess, plus you don't have to pick up a log.