15" Backhoe Bucket

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nailsbeats

Well I got pumped up and decided to build a 15" backhoe bucket. I already have a 20", but wanted something a little smaller for a trenching job on Friday.
One thing I tried for the first time was making what I believe is referred to as a "Rezloh" cutting edge. I had a small piece of 1"x8" cutting edge laying around from my tree shear so I took the band saw and plasma cutter to it. I think it looks neat, and clean without bolt on teeth. I will soon find out if it will hold up.
The key to designing a backhoe bucket is the taper. The whole bucket must taper from front to back. Most of you know that this is essential for clean out.
Here on some pics of it all tacked up.
DSCN1227.jpg image by nailsbeats
DSCN1229.jpg image by nailsbeats

DSCN1231.jpg image by nailsbeats
DSCN1230.jpg image by nailsbeats

DSCN1228.jpg image by nailsbeats

I had a lot of fun building this since it was small and could be easily manuvered. It took maybe 6 hours to get to this stage. I mounted it and it fits my Bobcat Exchange system perfectly, so now I will weld and paint.

Tazza

Staff member
Do you have any higher rez piccies? i want to make a small bucket for a power cable trench, i only need say 6" as the dirt here is hard as diamond i'd rahter cut 6" than 12 with my regular bucket. Our dirt isn't sticky so hopefully i won't spend too much time cleaning the bucket out.
I need to get off my butt and start building attachments. I need a set of pallet forks for one.
I'm too busy re-building another 743 at the moment......

skidsteer.ca

Do you have any higher rez piccies? i want to make a small bucket for a power cable trench, i only need say 6" as the dirt here is hard as diamond i'd rahter cut 6" than 12 with my regular bucket. Our dirt isn't sticky so hopefully i won't spend too much time cleaning the bucket out.
I need to get off my butt and start building attachments. I need a set of pallet forks for one.
I'm too busy re-building another 743 at the moment......
Looks good.
Tazza
I uses a JD hoe tha had a 20" bucket but the JD design is relatively shallow, which seemed to work real well with stick material like our clays. Overall volume was less but actual working volume was likely the same as it was'nt always 1/2 full.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Looks good.
Tazza
I uses a JD hoe tha had a 20" bucket but the JD design is relatively shallow, which seemed to work real well with stick material like our clays. Overall volume was less but actual working volume was likely the same as it was'nt always 1/2 full.
Ken
I remember you telling me about this bucket, you said it works a treat even in the mud!
Volume for me ins't a real issue, just as long as it can cut the rock we have.

skidsteer.ca

I remember you telling me about this bucket, you said it works a treat even in the mud!
Volume for me ins't a real issue, just as long as it can cut the rock we have.
For you Tazza a short bucket that maximizes the leverage of your bucket cylinder would likely be the ticket.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
For you Tazza a short bucket that maximizes the leverage of your bucket cylinder would likely be the ticket.
Ken
Exactly, the shorter it is the more advantage i get from the levering action. I will need to look into this after i finish my latest skid steer renovation! Its using up far too much time to be able to do much else.

Latest posts