10W30 with HTO or Hydraulic oil?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
S

Seamonkeyboy

Ok so I may have solved the 10W30 debacle of the past ten years. CAT makes a hydraulic fluid that is called Hydro Advanced 10. It is an emulsifier, it has .09ppm of Zinc, anti foaming etc. There website specifically talks about the taboos of shedding water AW hydraulic fluids. Shedding (De emulsifying is bad). Water can end up in the bottom of your pumps. Problem is its 179 bucks for a 5 gallon bucket. I need two of these. However, Shell Rotella T4 10W30 heavy duty diesel oil is high in zinc (1.225ppm) and phosphorus and anti foaming as in all engine oils. The Shell is 19 bucks a gallon. Any expertise out there would be greatly appreciated.
Ok so after declaring I solved the riddle, I found this from user sgf: "So what did I ultimately decide? I decided to not use the AW-46 in this particular machine based on the advice I received from the dealerships. I use Rotella 10W-30 T4 in the engine and that is what I will be using in the hyd, system. I realize people will agree and disagree so make your own choice, I feel confident it is a good call per the manual and the fact that dealers are doing it without issues. I hope this might help someone in the same situation. Granted my research was focused on my machine so it may not apply to others."
Hope its not against the rules to use quotes from other users but I felt he deserved the credit. Peace everyone and thanks for the input.

Jim A

I have used 10w -30 in my new Holland for 30 years .
I use it in my Yanmar excavator since 1994.
No issues
Caution since Hitachi and some mfgs warn NOT to use oil with Zinc since it disolved silver plating on internal pump wear surfaces.
Best to verify .
Most new machines it's fine.
Change it a lot and clean suction screen in bottom of tank bacteria which most ignore.
I had cheese like slime in serveral machines that people used low price oil from crapper supply.
CAT uses Mobil motor and hydraulic oils that's what I use in everything I own .

cdmccul

I think there's is also a level of confusion based on how old the machines are... A machine made in 1999, will have a call for oil of that era... And then my machine from 1979, for the same thing called "oil" will be a different spec. Like it was said, do your own research based on what was called for.

I'll have to look and see what kind of zinc content there was in oil from 1979 for my pumps. Others should see what was there at their build dates.

More than likely, at this point in MY game, oil is oil.

wkola

im looking at lucas synthetic universal hyd oil it says it has a international harvester B6 spec. oil and also suar danfoss pumps which it the hydrostat drive that my bobcat uses.

OP
OP
S

Seamonkeyboy

I have used 10w -30 in my new Holland for 30 years .
I use it in my Yanmar excavator since 1994.
No issues
Caution since Hitachi and some mfgs warn NOT to use oil with Zinc since it disolved silver plating on internal pump wear surfaces.
Best to verify .
Most new machines it's fine.
Change it a lot and clean suction screen in bottom of tank bacteria which most ignore.
I had cheese like slime in serveral machines that people used low price oil from crapper supply.
CAT uses Mobil motor and hydraulic oils that's what I use in everything I own .
Very good thanks. I will definitely check out the screen.

OP
OP
S

Seamonkeyboy

I run 10w30 in my 1835C as recommended...but it does look like they stopped making the HTO additive. Ugh, that sucks. I bought a couple extra quarts of additive the last time...but eventually I will end up in your predicament as well! It's hard to get the right answers. This place says that they will try and source it if you order it...might be worth a shot: https://www.messicks.com/part/B17508?vendorcode=CAS

Let us know how the search pans out.
I checked Messicks.. Discontinued but they say they will search the countryside for you lile you said. I am going with the Shell Rotella T4 10W30 heavy duty diesel oil. Auto zone has it for 18 bucks a gallon. It will be more than hydro but less than CAT Hydro Advanced 10. I feel confident about my decision. Ill update my posts in 5 years or so and give the results lol.

TonyCT322

I have a 2007 John Deere CT322 skid steer. Manual calls for John Deere engine oil (10w30) for the hydraulics. I told the service tech I was going to switch to their premium brand Hydraulic fluid so all my equipment runs the same fluids. He turned gray and said he would not recommend it unless I wanted lots of leaks. Also the engine oil handles higher heat better (skid steer mower). That was good enough for me to leave it alone.

Coke-in-MN

I had got a couple drums of Mobile DTE oil and used that (DTE Lite) in snow plows as it had a pour point that worked in below Zero weather and was rated as Hydraulic oil . DTE - Medium worked in my HD5G loader as hydraulic and DTE Heavy had a rating to use in transmission and first reduction of the HD5G . I used it in reciprocating and screw air compressors also as it met the specs for those units .
I was looking up the Mobile oil page today and see they have several DTE oils now for different services , a note in add said contact your local distributor for proper recommendations .
Several years back a friend worked at a oil processing outfit here in St Paul that packed or formulated oil for many different brands and I asked him to get me some IH - Hi-Tran oil for my IH 460 utility - a few days later he said they were running universal tractor fluid now packed for several farm stores but in a week they would be running IH branded oils .
So many dealers and retailers all buy the oil from same place , but additives might change some - but again if Specifications say meet or exceed Manufactures Spec - it should work .