100 amp fuse toolcat 5600

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hearld

i have a 2 year old toolcat with about 200 hrs on it. we use it daily on the farm to feed the horses hay in the pastures as well as cleaning the barns and mowingwith the 90" mower. it has been operating flawlessly until yesterday. while the glowplug countdown was down to 7 seconds, everything went dead. i discovered that the main fuse in the battery box was blown. i tried to get one locally at the parts stores, but finally had to drive seventy miles to the BOBCAT dealer to get a fuse-they only had one. when i put the new fuse in, we had power! the glow pkug countdown timer started to count down, and at 7 seconds the fuse blew again. my frustration is the the fuse must be good in order to start the engine so i can raise the dump bed to access the glowplugs to find whatever short i must have since it is hydraulic. i thought about replacing the fuse block with a 100 amp circuit breaker, hoping i could at least get it to start. am i asking for serious electrical problems if i use a breaker? my dealer has only sold 2 toolcats and doesn't have a clue how to help.

Tazza

Staff member
I don't know much about your machine, it sounds like you may have a short circuit glow plug?
Are you able to start the machine without glowing? as in will the machine allow you to crank it without glowing first?
You should be able to get it started just on compression but if its cold it will be tough. Just don't crank too long or you will burn your starter out. This should at least allow you to get it going so you can access the plugs. A last resort is spray ether in the air cleaner just to get it going but as others have said, don't do this often as its not good for the engine.

OP
OP
H

hearld

I don't know much about your machine, it sounds like you may have a short circuit glow plug?
Are you able to start the machine without glowing? as in will the machine allow you to crank it without glowing first?
You should be able to get it started just on compression but if its cold it will be tough. Just don't crank too long or you will burn your starter out. This should at least allow you to get it going so you can access the plugs. A last resort is spray ether in the air cleaner just to get it going but as others have said, don't do this often as its not good for the engine.
tazza sorry, i forgot to follow up and thank you for your in put. i bought the 100 amp circuit breaker and cranked it without using the glow plugs. you were right. it started right up and allowed me to access the glow plugs. i tested them with an ohm meter, and one was shorted..\ nobody had the glow plugs except bobcat, so i bit the bullet and shelled out nearly 50 bucks. if napa or kubota or anyone had thm, they should cost 15 to 20 bucks, but im happy to be running again. the high cost of bobcat stuff!! wow. id do love the toolcat though.

Tazza

Staff member
tazza sorry, i forgot to follow up and thank you for your in put. i bought the 100 amp circuit breaker and cranked it without using the glow plugs. you were right. it started right up and allowed me to access the glow plugs. i tested them with an ohm meter, and one was shorted..\ nobody had the glow plugs except bobcat, so i bit the bullet and shelled out nearly 50 bucks. if napa or kubota or anyone had thm, they should cost 15 to 20 bucks, but im happy to be running again. the high cost of bobcat stuff!! wow. id do love the toolcat though.
Glad you got it going again!
Some parts are quite expensive, but others are really quite reasonable. But glow plugs, you really can't live with out......