Shop airlines

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
S

Skiddy

Ken PVC is very dangerous to use as airline. It explodes like shattering glass and an xray will not show pvc when they are trying to pick all the shards out of you.
Good info here on PVC http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

Tazza

Staff member
Good info here on PVC http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html
Skiddy - i believe its not standard PVC that they use, its rated for air. I get a catalogue at work every month trying to sell air lines that are made of plastic, it must be like poly pipe that they use for water. Its sort of soft, not hard like conduit that you run power through. When it splits, it just cracks and lets the water/air out slowly, it does not simply explode, its too soft. Its in no way brittle enough to cause shards of plastic to cut you up. I can drive over it with my bobcat, it flattens out a bit but will NOT crack.

skidsteer.ca

Skiddy - i believe its not standard PVC that they use, its rated for air. I get a catalogue at work every month trying to sell air lines that are made of plastic, it must be like poly pipe that they use for water. Its sort of soft, not hard like conduit that you run power through. When it splits, it just cracks and lets the water/air out slowly, it does not simply explode, its too soft. Its in no way brittle enough to cause shards of plastic to cut you up. I can drive over it with my bobcat, it flattens out a bit but will NOT crack.
I'll have to double check mine. I know its rated 200 psi.
Ken

coreya3212

I'll have to double check mine. I know its rated 200 psi.
Ken
I would have to check, but the white , here anyway, used for water lines and general plumbing is rated at 175 psi. I know white is the weak stuff. Grey Schedule 40 has gotta be even tougher. I never run air over 110-120 psi anyhow. Are you guys running higher psi stuff than that??

Tazza

Staff member
I would have to check, but the white , here anyway, used for water lines and general plumbing is rated at 175 psi. I know white is the weak stuff. Grey Schedule 40 has gotta be even tougher. I never run air over 110-120 psi anyhow. Are you guys running higher psi stuff than that??
Mine is all 110psi or lower through copper to my work area.

OldMachinist

Mine is all 110psi or lower through copper to my work area.
I just thought of something I forgot to mention. When you run your air lines plumb one to the outside so you don't have to drag a hose out a door everytime you need air outside.
DSCF0571.jpg picture by calfranch

I use mine all time for blowing the clipping off the mower and keeping up with tire pressures. I plumbed it a shutoff valve inside the door in case I need it.
As you can see I was cleaning the mower deck today and thats what made me think of it.
DSCF0572.jpg picture by calfranch

OP
OP
S

Skiddy

I just thought of something I forgot to mention. When you run your air lines plumb one to the outside so you don't have to drag a hose out a door everytime you need air outside.

I use mine all time for blowing the clipping off the mower and keeping up with tire pressures. I plumbed it a shutoff valve inside the door in case I need it.
As you can see I was cleaning the mower deck today and thats what made me think of it.
yeah that old machinist................................................... he is THE MAN and he has all the ............................................................. stuff!

skidsteer.ca

yeah that old machinist................................................... he is THE MAN and he has all the ............................................................. stuff!
I do run 175 psi in mine, still need to check it out....
Ken

Venom

I do run 175 psi in mine, still need to check it out....
Ken
I worked in a facility that used PVC for the air lines. After a few years, the plastic got brittle and the lines started to blow. I was around for three of the explosions and they will scare the p!&& out of you. Luckily no one got hurt, but the shards we picked up were sharp as glass and some were very, very tiny. I found some deeply embedded in wood, so I know they would have no problem penetrating a human. Never, never use PVC for air lines.

coreya3212

I worked in a facility that used PVC for the air lines. After a few years, the plastic got brittle and the lines started to blow. I was around for three of the explosions and they will scare the p!&& out of you. Luckily no one got hurt, but the shards we picked up were sharp as glass and some were very, very tiny. I found some deeply embedded in wood, so I know they would have no problem penetrating a human. Never, never use PVC for air lines.
hhmmm .I think it may depend on the type of PVC. I know white PVC cant be in sunlight. UV breaks it down over time and it gets brittle and cracks. The Grey stuff, usually for electrical conduit is tougher and is used outside, above ground all the time so it may be ok. The fact that it got brittle and cracked after a few years says to me that something else broke down the material, but it wasnt the air? Just a thought for those wanting to use PVC.

Venom

hhmmm .I think it may depend on the type of PVC. I know white PVC cant be in sunlight. UV breaks it down over time and it gets brittle and cracks. The Grey stuff, usually for electrical conduit is tougher and is used outside, above ground all the time so it may be ok. The fact that it got brittle and cracked after a few years says to me that something else broke down the material, but it wasnt the air? Just a thought for those wanting to use PVC.
It was the schedule 40 or "gray stuff". If you've ever been around for one of these explosions you would not consider plastic.............

BobMelroe

It was the schedule 40 or "gray stuff". If you've ever been around for one of these explosions you would not consider plastic.............
I wouldn't use plastic at all. It will fail at some point guaranteed. The problem isn't pressure or heat, it's fatigue. The expansion and contraction weakens the plastic over time making it become brittle. Copper is the most expensive way to go, but it's the most ideal. Very easy to add taps, repair if necessary, doesn't rust, and absorbs a lot of heat. If you move, you can take it apart and take it with you. Unfortunately, my garage is small, so I just have a hose reel mounted in the center. Quick connect on the compressor, and a regular air hose running to the reel. My compressor and valve are shut off when not in use. Wouldn't make much sense to run airlines, I only have one "open" wall but that has the overhead and entry doors on it. The other walls are occupied by machines and my 2000lb toolbox :/

coreya3212

I wouldn't use plastic at all. It will fail at some point guaranteed. The problem isn't pressure or heat, it's fatigue. The expansion and contraction weakens the plastic over time making it become brittle. Copper is the most expensive way to go, but it's the most ideal. Very easy to add taps, repair if necessary, doesn't rust, and absorbs a lot of heat. If you move, you can take it apart and take it with you. Unfortunately, my garage is small, so I just have a hose reel mounted in the center. Quick connect on the compressor, and a regular air hose running to the reel. My compressor and valve are shut off when not in use. Wouldn't make much sense to run airlines, I only have one "open" wall but that has the overhead and entry doors on it. The other walls are occupied by machines and my 2000lb toolbox :/
ok ok....I googled it, and almost all the engineering forums say dont use PVC for compressed air, regardless of schedule rating. Most only recommend any plastic alternative at all if you are in a corrosive environment, and many jusrisdictions prohibit pvc for airlines above grade. Black pipe or copper....

Earthwerks Unlimited

Years ago my smarty pants boss decided he was goimg to install 2" PVC in our manufacturing plant--we used a lot of air. Supposedly it was rated at 300 PSI. Well, sure the PIPE is rated for that BUT the glued fittings aren't and it all blew apart.

metalmeltr

Years ago my smarty pants boss decided he was goimg to install 2" PVC in our manufacturing plant--we used a lot of air. Supposedly it was rated at 300 PSI. Well, sure the PIPE is rated for that BUT the glued fittings aren't and it all blew apart.
Herre is my argumaent for PVC airlines. We have had 3/4" PVC in our garage for about 8 years and in that time have only had one failure and it was caused by allowing a large air trap from the pipe and the joint failed at the conecton between the pipe and the fitting.No one was ingured, but the regulator on the trap hasn't suplied the proper pressure since this incident. The pipe is also cheap, light weight, easy to cut and easy to expand. I know that it is'nt recomended but we have never had any major problems.

sar4937

Herre is my argumaent for PVC airlines. We have had 3/4" PVC in our garage for about 8 years and in that time have only had one failure and it was caused by allowing a large air trap from the pipe and the joint failed at the conecton between the pipe and the fitting.No one was ingured, but the regulator on the trap hasn't suplied the proper pressure since this incident. The pipe is also cheap, light weight, easy to cut and easy to expand. I know that it is'nt recomended but we have never had any major problems.
My shop hoists use 3/8 truck airbrake line with pushconnect fittings. That would work for shorter runs. I have copper in the shop, but thieves will strip you building clean around here. Water pipes and all. I've heard of pvc and cpvc in under 100 psi applications. My guys would tear it up.

Venom

Post when you have one disintegrate and send shrapnel across your shop. If you're lucky, no one will lose an eye or worse.

sar4937

Post when you have one disintegrate and send shrapnel across your shop. If you're lucky, no one will lose an eye or worse.
The air brake line is OEM on the Rotary 12k four-post. The copper water line is rated @ 250 PSI, and I haven't had a failure in 11 years of use. PVC and CPCV I personally would stay away from. Some of the cleaners we use will break down plastic.

sandhills-elect

The air brake line is OEM on the Rotary 12k four-post. The copper water line is rated @ 250 PSI, and I haven't had a failure in 11 years of use. PVC and CPCV I personally would stay away from. Some of the cleaners we use will break down plastic.
My brother and i just done a shop for my dad and his new one, with steel, if you have a conduit bender and know how to run one it is quite simple and is not that high compared to copper. If you want to bend rigid, say 3/8 you use a 1/2 emt bender and for 1/2 use a 3/4 emt bender. Just some ideas. Brent.

ancomcabs

My brother and i just done a shop for my dad and his new one, with steel, if you have a conduit bender and know how to run one it is quite simple and is not that high compared to copper. If you want to bend rigid, say 3/8 you use a 1/2 emt bender and for 1/2 use a 3/4 emt bender. Just some ideas. Brent.
I have a custom cabinet shop, bought our own building a few years ago and wanted to set it up "right" since it is ours, not something we rent. We used the Kaeser brand "smart pipe" it is aluminum, very easy to install and work with, has special fitting that don't require sweating or threading and it is easy to add on to, etc. Not cheap but when you consider the labor savings on installation it was worth it.
Way down at the beginning of our blog there are some pics:
http://ancomcustomcabinets.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-10-16T09:01:00-04:00&max-results=7