Not exactly shop related but.....

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RJSStamps

ok this isn't eactly the right lace but good as any I guess. After being around the site a bit one thing sticks out like a sore thumb to me That is TRAILERS! It amazes me but I see a lot of these heavy and expensive pieces of equipment being hauled around on tiny under sized trailers! It amazes me the police haven't stopped these people using a 3,000 lb trailer to haul 5,000 + lb machines! At one time in my life I was a police dispatcher and an officer called in one day to ask what the fine was for a load he had stopped. A guy had a dozer on a car trailer! He was, no joke, 10,000 lbs overweight! The fine, $70,000! In court they cut it down to $10,000, but that was because the judge was in a good mood that day. The point is, hauling a heavy expensive machine on an underweight trailer is just plain DANGEROUS! You can't put a 5,000+ lb machine on a trailer rated for 3,000 safely. My own trailer is rated at 8,000 lbs and the machine 5,400....without the bucket, add a few more hundred pounds for the bucket. Oh, and it isn't just on this site but I saw a guy hauling a rental skidsteer past my house yesterday, and the trailer was a rotten wood floor lightweight 3,000 lb car trailer with a 6,000+ lb Bobcat on it. Doesn't the rental company realize that they too could be liable allowing that machine off their lot on that trailer? Think people! One guy here just lost his life yesterday after an accident Thursday where they were cutting a tree down on a hill next to a large retention pond. The tractor rolled backwards down the hill and into the pond pinning the guy under it....... Someone wasn't THINKING! Safety first!

Tazza

Staff member
You really do see all sorts. Thankfully all the machines i see getting moves around here are in large trailers or in the back of a truck that is more than large enough.
With that said, i guy came to collect a machine off me once with a car trailer. He was driving a not huge 4wd with a car trailer. I have no idea if the trailer was rated for the 2t the machine weighed or not, but i wouldn't have liked doing it. Its not just what the trailer is rated at, its what the vehicle can brake too. The trailer needs to have hydraulic or electric brakes or you won't be stopping in a hurry if the need arises....

ancomcabs

You really do see all sorts. Thankfully all the machines i see getting moves around here are in large trailers or in the back of a truck that is more than large enough.
With that said, i guy came to collect a machine off me once with a car trailer. He was driving a not huge 4wd with a car trailer. I have no idea if the trailer was rated for the 2t the machine weighed or not, but i wouldn't have liked doing it. Its not just what the trailer is rated at, its what the vehicle can brake too. The trailer needs to have hydraulic or electric brakes or you won't be stopping in a hurry if the need arises....
I've got a trailer rated at 7000lbs, the trailer itself weighs about 2k so I'm in good shape with my 360lb 630. I'm considering a newer machine and limiting myself to an S130 because of the wieght, at 4700+/-lbs it is about at the limit of my trailer and tow vehicle. I'd kind of like to look at a 150 because of the longer wheelbase but the extra weight would put me over the edge even though I hardly yow the macine and when I do it is usually only local, better safe than sorry

OP
OP
R

RJSStamps

I've got a trailer rated at 7000lbs, the trailer itself weighs about 2k so I'm in good shape with my 360lb 630. I'm considering a newer machine and limiting myself to an S130 because of the wieght, at 4700+/-lbs it is about at the limit of my trailer and tow vehicle. I'd kind of like to look at a 150 because of the longer wheelbase but the extra weight would put me over the edge even though I hardly yow the macine and when I do it is usually only local, better safe than sorry
Yeah safe is better! That said, on trip to TN snd back I saw some pretty crazy stuff on the roads. A car dolly with BOTH axles bent from hauling stuff too heavy for it. It was being towed with a car hauling a car bigger than the tow vehicle! The guy was doing 60MPH no less in a 45MPH zone. Saw a really nice skid steer being hooked up to a 1/2 ton truck on 3,000lb trailer at a rental place. Amazing a rental place would do that. My own trailers rated at 8,000lb and it too weighs almost 2,000lbs. It has dual axel brakes (brakes on all 4 wheels) and the truck is a 97 Dodge 4x4 Heavy Duty. It has the same Dana 60 axles as the 1 ton, just doesn't have the dual rear wheels but rated for 17,000 towng a trailer. It used to haul my 13,000lb camper like it wasn't there. The CL55 on it will be a tad lighter now with the Yanmar motor in it. The machine is still a beast though at around 5600 lbs. RJS