1835c engine temperature light and buzzer question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mild Bill

Hi

I recently moved back to the home farm where I grew up as my folks passed away last summer.

I have an early model 1835C with the gasoline engine that I had one of the neighbors who is an excellent mechanic get running last year help me get running a little over a year ago. The skidloader was bought new in 1989 and been here at the farm ever since. It has about 4000 hours on it. There hasn't been livestock here for probably 18 to 20 years, so it was mostly snow pushing and some yard maintenance work during that time. The last 5 or 6 years it was used very very little.

During the process of getting it running we did check fluid levels and condition.

This past winter while pushing snow with it the engine temp warning light started flickering and buzzing. Sometimes even when just started up....

I am thinking this is due to a short somewhere?

Curious if anyone else may have encountered something similar?

Thanks for any insight and guidance on trouble shooting.

OP
OP
M

Mild Bill

I went to remove the old sensor yesterday to find that the little nut holding the wire on top is solidly corroded and then I tried to remove the nut the entire center part turned rather than the nut. PRetty sure it should not spin within the outerpar. And I was not cranking on it, just gentle turn to see if it would move.

I also observed that the wire it's self has some places where the insulation/ woven heat sleeve has worn through, not sure if just old age or heat deterioration over the last few decades.

At this time thinking I will have to clip the wire at the connector that goes over the threaded stud on top and crimp on a new connector when replacing the sensor. Thinking I might see about some new insulation sleeve to put over the wire too.

I will have one of the neighbor kids with skinnier arms than mine come over as he will be able to get both hands in by it to work on it, Where I can get one hand in there somewhat close.

Hoping the wire is not bad otherwise this will result in a lot of butt ache the way it goes in and down and around.... or at least how it appears to as best as I can see down in there.

Thoughts, suggestions?

brdgbldr

Electrical issues on all machines are never fun.

Sounds like you're on the right track. You didn't mention if you actually got the sensor out or not. I hope you have a replacement.

It sounds like you're working in tight area. If the end of wire is bad, you may want to try and trace it back further to a spot easier to splice another longer wire on instead of trying to work in the tight spot on just the end piece.

OP
OP
M

Mild Bill

I have not gotten it out yet. I do want to get it out to take to the NAPA store in town to make sure I can get the right one to put back in. Splicing wire a little further back does make sense.

The neighbor kid with his smaller diameter arms should be able to get in there and work on it reasonably easy... I think.

OP
OP
M

Mild Bill

Finally got schedules to match up with the neighbor boy and have it repaired. Interestingly the wire had the insulation missing and some fraying in a couple spots in roughly a foot from the sensor.

Replaced the sensor and the last foot of wire. Put new woven insulation sleeve on that section too.

Started it up and no buzzer and light. So it appears that we got it taken care of.

brdgbldr

Finally got schedules to match up with the neighbor boy and have it repaired. Interestingly the wire had the insulation missing and some fraying in a couple spots in roughly a foot from the sensor.

Replaced the sensor and the last foot of wire. Put new woven insulation sleeve on that section too.

Started it up and no buzzer and light. So it appears that we got it taken care of.
Glad to hear you got it fixed.