1835C Gas engine won't stay running

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cmkruse

bought this 1835C gas engine mode and it won't stay running. It starts and runes for a few seconds and cuts of and wont restart. Left overnight and the same occurs. I figured it was a fuel pump problem, so I installed a low volume electric pump to force fuel through the mechanical pump, but it didn't help. Now I suspect some carburetor problem like stuck float or something. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

foton

I would guess a stuck float like you were thinking is likely or a restricted fuel filter or line. Remove the fuel line from the carb and turn the pump on and let it run into a catch container and see if it has good flow, if it does it is the carb, I would think. But you know if you are still using the mechanical pump it has a check valve in it ,it could be stuck closed too. Try to plumb around it.

OP
OP
C

cmkruse

UPdate - replaced the fuel line and filter leading to the pump. Elec pump is working and fills the in line filter. I cant get to the pump to check the input line. My next attempt will be to take the hard line loose from the carb and see if its getting good flow. I believe it is because it starts easy and only dies after what I think is emptying the float bowl. In researching the issue I find that there is no replacement carb or overhaul kit available so I may be stuck all the way around and end up with a parts only skid steer. Any advice or help on this is greatly appreciated.

brdgbldr

UPdate - replaced the fuel line and filter leading to the pump. Elec pump is working and fills the in line filter. I cant get to the pump to check the input line. My next attempt will be to take the hard line loose from the carb and see if its getting good flow. I believe it is because it starts easy and only dies after what I think is emptying the float bowl. In researching the issue I find that there is no replacement carb or overhaul kit available so I may be stuck all the way around and end up with a parts only skid steer. Any advice or help on this is greatly appreciated.
I miss the days when a guy could find a carburetor shop nearby. I had a friend when I was a kid and his father owned and operated a carburetor shop. He could fix any carburetor and had parts on hand so the turnover was quick. Finding aftermarket carbs for machines is pretty difficult so you may want to find where else the engine was used, hopefully a similar engine in a car, and then find a carburetor for that. You can also make or find adapter plates for aftermarket carbs to fit the bolt pattern of yours. Just keep in mind how much room there is in the machine to fit anything aftermarket. Take a lesson from all of the 1950's car owners in Cuba that make their own carburetors out of tin cans since they can't get parts for them.

Since it is a gasoline engine you always have the option of converting it to propane. I have done this to machines in the past and it's not that hard. I used to get parts from "Nash Fuel" they use to sell kits for different machines and generators but you could contact them and get a custom kit made up for just about anything.

lmcl123

IMG_20230802_153214.jpg

Is that a Wisconsin gas engine? If so this guy will most likely have parts to fix your carburetor. He has over 2,000 parts in stock. It helps to have as much information about your carburetor as possible before you call him. I went through him when I rebuilt the vh4d for my bobcat 610 and he had everything I needed and he knew his stuff.

mikelv

The parts kits are all over ebay. First find out which carb is in yours, there is more than one. Look for a tag or a stamp on the carb should start with a 13 or 14

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cmkruse

I miss the days when a guy could find a carburetor shop nearby. I had a friend when I was a kid and his father owned and operated a carburetor shop. He could fix any carburetor and had parts on hand so the turnover was quick. Finding aftermarket carbs for machines is pretty difficult so you may want to find where else the engine was used, hopefully a similar engine in a car, and then find a carburetor for that. You can also make or find adapter plates for aftermarket carbs to fit the bolt pattern of yours. Just keep in mind how much room there is in the machine to fit anything aftermarket. Take a lesson from all of the 1950's car owners in Cuba that make their own carburetors out of tin cans since they can't get parts for them.

Since it is a gasoline engine you always have the option of converting it to propane. I have done this to machines in the past and it's not that hard. I used to get parts from "Nash Fuel" they use to sell kits for different machines and generators but you could contact them and get a custom kit made up for just about anything.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try looking for alternate applications for the same carb. Unfortunately I'm not as skilled as some Folks. Carbs are one of those items I usually leave to the pros. First I have to get it out without being able to move the housing away from the engine. It won't run long enough to get the loader
View attachment 5468
Is that a Wisconsin gas engine? If so this guy will most likely have parts to fix your carburetor. He has over 2,000 parts in stock. It helps to have as much information about your carburetor as possible before you call him. I went through him when I rebuilt the vh4d for my bobcat 610 and he had everything I needed and he knew his stuff.
thank you so much I'll give him a call

OP
OP
C

cmkruse

View attachment 5468
Thanks Ill check him out as soon as I get a number off the carb.

OP
OP
C

cmkruse

The parts kits are all over ebay. First find out which carb is in yours, there is more than one. Look for a tag or a stamp on the carb should start with a 13 or 14
Thanks for the info. Ill look for a number on the carb when i get it out

OP
OP
C

cmkruse

Update – Carb removed there is no ID tag or number on the carb. Used the gasket to match to a kit, rebuilt the carburetor using some of the small parts, but did not change the jet due to concerns expressed in another forum post about case using different jets for different models. Reinstall the carburetor today, and it fired right up and ran consistently. Thanks for all your help

mikelv

Glad you got it working. It may have had a rebuild in the past and had the tag come off during cleaning or something. Bad news is something else will come up in a couple weeks. Its part of the fun of having one of these 40-50 year old machines. :) I am currently rebuilding the left side chain drive on my 1830. Fun fun and more fun

brdgbldr

Glad you got it working. It may have had a rebuild in the past and had the tag come off during cleaning or something. Bad news is something else will come up in a couple weeks. Its part of the fun of having one of these 40-50 year old machines. :) I am currently rebuilding the left side chain drive on my 1830. Fun fun and more fun
Yes, just keep repeating the mantra "this is fun" and it will become so.