Working under Skid steer advice needed

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1kgreg

Hello everyone, I am looking for general advice on working under a skid steer. I have an l785 that leaks a bit from the bottom, I don't know if it's hoses or something worse. I am just looking for 1. methods to safely put this up on "something" pull the bottom plate off (without dropping on my head) and then look around to see if something I can replace. 2. If there are any l78x owners here that can point me at things most likely to be leaking?

as a note, the previous owner had the engine rebuilt professionally but my guess is they put the engine back in them selfs, im not sure. so maybe something in that process caused the leak. Either way, any advice will help, on both the safety aspects and the info specific to my machine.

Thanks

foton

I have used a floor jack between the tires , go a little at a time and use jack stands at each corner. Just make sure all are rated for the weight you are putting in the air.

Topper1

I typically jack up machines and place on solid wood blocking. (2x6's 4x6's, rail ties) 1 sturdy stack on each corner.
I usually jack higher then needed to allow myself extra arm space to work.

OP
OP

1kgreg

Thanks, I was thinking about railroad ties, ill have to see what I can acquire around here.

ghs57

Agree with the solid blocking. Never use concrete blocks or bricks. Even when I block up my machine with solid wood blocks (8x8, 4x6, 4x4 etc) I can't say I'm ever comfortable working under it. I keep thinking about all that weight. But we do what we have to do, as safely as possible.

Topper1

For perspective, even my largest machines are 12,000lbs which equates to only 3000 lbs per corner.
Even good quality 2x6's 2 ft long will easily handle the load.
24 inch x 6" x 4 corners = 576 sq in
12,000lb / 576 sq inches = 21 pounds per sq inch
Most machines are flat bottomed and disperse the load evenly when on flat and stable ground.

Equip

Being a mechanic for decades. Always check and double check things are supported properly with good wood blocks or now you can buy composite lengths and cut to whatever length you want that are rated in the forklift industry. Or steel.
I have heard some rare nightmare stories in my area from accidents.
Stay safe.

Mustang Guy

I built a pair of ramps from 4x12's, 2x12's, 4x4's, and 2x4's. Also works well with the dozer and mini excavator.

Attachments

• 20220414_172425.jpg
    20220414_172425.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 85

jjcarroll1

Hello everyone, I am looking for general advice on working under a skid steer. I have an l785 that leaks a bit from the bottom, I don't know if it's hoses or something worse. I am just looking for 1. methods to safely put this up on "something" pull the bottom plate off (without dropping on my head) and then look around to see if something I can replace. 2. If there are any l78x owners here that can point me at things most likely to be leaking?

as a note, the previous owner had the engine rebuilt professionally but my guess is they put the engine back in them selfs, im not sure. so maybe something in that process caused the leak. Either way, any advice will help, on both the safety aspects and the info specific to my machine.

Thanks
I bout 2-12' 6x6 posts. Cut into 2' chiunks

HmsNimrod

I use wood blocks and 4 Jack stands as back up and leave the jack in place if I can sound crazy but I like 4 solid corners with back up. also before you go through the trouble of removing the skid check the side plates which on my Bobcat can come off without lifting the machine.

OP
OP

1kgreg

thanks, everyone, a spot in my garage is almost ready to bring it in and work, i will be buying fresh 2x6's and adding the backup jack stands for safety. Now to find the leak and hope its something cheap.