Wire harness repair pigtail?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JimN

Does anyone know of anybody who sources repair pigtails with AMP Superseal connectors on one end? I am working on a 06 S220 that was left at the deer lease for over 3 years and am in the process of going through the wire harness and repairing gnawed off wiring. I am looking for a 3 wire connector that connects to the left swash plate sensor. Some furry little bugger chewed off the wires right at the end of the female connector. If I have to I think I can order the proper female connector to repair it myself but this may be a one off situation and I am not to keen on buying a crimp tool that I will use only once. Regards, Jim

foton

different piece of equipment but same thing , I took some wire cutters and worked on the plug just enough to get to about 1/8 inch of copper wire. Took and 6 inch of wire had another person to hold it on crewed off piece heated up both with soldering iron ,added some solder , did all connections . then slipped heat shrink over wires ,soldered the splices , shrank the shrink , use liquid tape over plug repair called it good. ty rap as needed. been awhile with no issues.

OP
OP
J

JimN

different piece of equipment but same thing , I took some wire cutters and worked on the plug just enough to get to about 1/8 inch of copper wire. Took and 6 inch of wire had another person to hold it on crewed off piece heated up both with soldering iron ,added some solder , did all connections . then slipped heat shrink over wires ,soldered the splices , shrank the shrink , use liquid tape over plug repair called it good. ty rap as needed. been awhile with no issues.
I appreciate the reply. I thought about doing that but one of the wires was gnawed right up to the plastic plug housing and when I pulled the pin out, that little plastic tab that holds the pin in place came out with it. After doing a little searching I was able to find the right cheapo crimp tool and a 3 wire TE Amp Superseal 1.5mm series plug for $25 delivered. I doubt I would be able to get a pigtail connector for much less than that. Who knows I may be able to use the tool more than once. Regards, Jim

Tazza

Staff member
I appreciate the reply. I thought about doing that but one of the wires was gnawed right up to the plastic plug housing and when I pulled the pin out, that little plastic tab that holds the pin in place came out with it. After doing a little searching I was able to find the right cheapo crimp tool and a 3 wire TE Amp Superseal 1.5mm series plug for $25 delivered. I doubt I would be able to get a pigtail connector for much less than that. Who knows I may be able to use the tool more than once. Regards, Jim
Glad you hopefully have it all sorted out.
Those little critters can be a real pain, i swear insulation must smell like cheese to them.

foton

Those little critters can be a real pain, i swear insulation must smell like cheese to them.
I read on the net so it might not be true ,but rodents seem to like the wiring on teslas cars for some reason. There was a idea of adding a odor to keep them from eating it. yeah right

OP
OP
J

JimN

Hopefully is right. Heh, I didn't know jack squat about this kind of machinery before 3 weeks ago. I helped my F in law bring it to his shop from his brothers deer lease. The Texas Forestry guys were kind enough to drag it out of the woods and push it onto his trailer. The connector and crimper showed up yesterday. I was able to get the displays to light up and start the motor last week. Been running through fault codes and I should know if it will even think about moving sometime today. The tally so far is a pdf service manual, 1 battery, 5 new relays, new fuses, 30 + butt splices, half a roll of super 33, a ft. of heat shrink tubing, new supply and return fuel lines, 8' of wire, countless hours of research, and a little blood. Not to mention the mud, leaves, bark, pine cones and needles. I endeavor to persevere. :) Regards, Jim.

Tazza

Staff member
Hopefully is right. Heh, I didn't know jack squat about this kind of machinery before 3 weeks ago. I helped my F in law bring it to his shop from his brothers deer lease. The Texas Forestry guys were kind enough to drag it out of the woods and push it onto his trailer. The connector and crimper showed up yesterday. I was able to get the displays to light up and start the motor last week. Been running through fault codes and I should know if it will even think about moving sometime today. The tally so far is a pdf service manual, 1 battery, 5 new relays, new fuses, 30 + butt splices, half a roll of super 33, a ft. of heat shrink tubing, new supply and return fuel lines, 8' of wire, countless hours of research, and a little blood. Not to mention the mud, leaves, bark, pine cones and needles. I endeavor to persevere. :) Regards, Jim.
I hope it all goes to plan when you get crimp'in.
Good call on using heat shrink, it will help keep water out of the wires, i got some cheap stuff with glue in it, seems to do a really nice job.

OP
OP
J

JimN

I hope it all goes to plan when you get crimp'in.
Good call on using heat shrink, it will help keep water out of the wires, i got some cheap stuff with glue in it, seems to do a really nice job.
Success, was able to drive off the trailer and back into the shop. I was getting concerned since the rear tires were about a foot back from the steel cross brace and the wood was bending pretty bad, was also 9 miles of tired from climbing in and out for the last 3 weeks. still have issues to deal with but that's for another post. I swear, I had a harder time plugging those swash plate sensor plugs back in than I did taking them out. If I have to do more of that I need to start doing finger push ups. Tazza, I kind of used a sliding scale depending on the severity of the gnawing. If the wire was gnawed in half, or a lot of wires were broke I used a heat shrink butt splice. If I needed to replace a section of wire same thing at each end. If there was minimal chewing, just wrapped it with 33, if minimal chewing on a slightly longer section cut in a good spot, heat shrink tube the bad spots and heat shrink butt splice back together. Unfortunately I did not use the tubing with glue, my f in law bought the material and I would have just confused him with that specification. I did tell him don't ever pressure wash the inside or leave it out in the rain, and if he does to cover it with a tarp. :) Realistically, that thing needs a new main frame harness. Regards, Jim.

Tazza

Staff member
Success, was able to drive off the trailer and back into the shop. I was getting concerned since the rear tires were about a foot back from the steel cross brace and the wood was bending pretty bad, was also 9 miles of tired from climbing in and out for the last 3 weeks. still have issues to deal with but that's for another post. I swear, I had a harder time plugging those swash plate sensor plugs back in than I did taking them out. If I have to do more of that I need to start doing finger push ups. Tazza, I kind of used a sliding scale depending on the severity of the gnawing. If the wire was gnawed in half, or a lot of wires were broke I used a heat shrink butt splice. If I needed to replace a section of wire same thing at each end. If there was minimal chewing, just wrapped it with 33, if minimal chewing on a slightly longer section cut in a good spot, heat shrink tube the bad spots and heat shrink butt splice back together. Unfortunately I did not use the tubing with glue, my f in law bought the material and I would have just confused him with that specification. I did tell him don't ever pressure wash the inside or leave it out in the rain, and if he does to cover it with a tarp. :) Realistically, that thing needs a new main frame harness. Regards, Jim.
Even regular heat shrink does a good job, as long as it works.
I hit my harness with a grinder.... I did the same, tape on slightly damaged wires, heat shrink on deep cuts.