Why are we Upgrading?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

owensge

After many years of promising an upgrade to this wonderful dinosaur, it's finally time to make it happen. With the addition of smart phones and Ipads, we are looking to provide a better user experience no matter where you are coming from technologically. The software that the forum is running on has reached it's shelf life, so we are in for a face-lift and "repower" to bring 21st century technology to our members!
There will be a mobile experience as well as a web experience that will make it easier for you to collaborate and share your thoughts. We encourage our members to be part of this endeavor by letting us know what features you'd like to see on this site. Doesn't matter if it's never been done before or a pipe-dream, let's take this opportunity to reach for the stars.
We will maintain all of the existing information and functionality after the upgrade with some additional bells and whistles:
  • Private User Email
  • Enhanced Search Capability
  • User Edit Feature for Posts
  • Easier Image/Link Functionality in Posts
  • Realtime User Chat Feature
  • True Mobile (iPhone, Android) Experience
  • Full Functionality For All Browsers
I will list other features as things are added.
If you get a chance, go to our Features section, and give us your input. If you would like to donate to our efforts, click here. Thanks for your continued support.

6brnorma

I don't know what is kosher to inquire about on this subject. I have no idea what type of funding is necessary to complete an upgrade. I am fearful that with only 80 plus visits to the "donate" thread, fund raising could be better……….does Tazza need to do a nude rain dance to generate more participation? How can we help?

jerry

I don't know what is kosher to inquire about on this subject. I have no idea what type of funding is necessary to complete an upgrade. I am fearful that with only 80 plus visits to the "donate" thread, fund raising could be better……….does Tazza need to do a nude rain dance to generate more participation? How can we help?
Friend of mine in web site development said it could easily cost several thousand dollars to redo a site like this but that is just a guess. We need a display on the site maybe to illustrate where donations are compared to what may be needed. Don't think the site is rated for Tazza dancing, though it might raise money if it would keep him from doing it.

Tazza

Staff member
Friend of mine in web site development said it could easily cost several thousand dollars to redo a site like this but that is just a guess. We need a display on the site maybe to illustrate where donations are compared to what may be needed. Don't think the site is rated for Tazza dancing, though it might raise money if it would keep him from doing it.
Why is it poor old me that gets dragged into things like this? Are you trying to scare members off?
I'm with Jerry, i think paying for me to NOT run around in my birthday suit would be a better option *unzips*

6brnorma

Why is it poor old me that gets dragged into things like this? Are you trying to scare members off?
I'm with Jerry, i think paying for me to NOT run around in my birthday suit would be a better option *unzips*
LOL…….I am one of the unfortunate Americans that has never had the opportunity to visit the land of the didgeridoo. I've heard stories of some of your beaches and didn't know that perhaps "Birthday Suit" Fund Raisers might not be a common sight in downtown Sidney :)

OP
OP
owensge

owensge

LOL…….I am one of the unfortunate Americans that has never had the opportunity to visit the land of the didgeridoo. I've heard stories of some of your beaches and didn't know that perhaps "Birthday Suit" Fund Raisers might not be a common sight in downtown Sidney :)
Good Idea regarding a tally of funds received. The actual cost of the upgrade is around 7900.00 which is pretty good considering the work that needs to be done. Tazza if the suit fits.... :) I have half of the funds needed to get this done so we'll see what we can gather to pull it through.... Thanks for your support and that vision of Tazza in his swan suit!

Tazza

Staff member
Good Idea regarding a tally of funds received. The actual cost of the upgrade is around 7900.00 which is pretty good considering the work that needs to be done. Tazza if the suit fits.... :) I have half of the funds needed to get this done so we'll see what we can gather to pull it through.... Thanks for your support and that vision of Tazza in his swan suit!
hehe i'm here to help :)

Tazza

Staff member
Hell……I'll send more then that just to make him do it……..with the appropriate "blurred" out portion of course.
ooh boy, this thread just isn't getting any better.....
I can send a censored version, it will be just a video of black, what do you rekon?

6brnorma

ooh boy, this thread just isn't getting any better.....
I can send a censored version, it will be just a video of black, what do you rekon?
Owensge……just wondering if we are making any progress on the fund raising. Are we anywhere close to the goal. How can we help to get there?

OP
OP
owensge

owensge

Owensge……just wondering if we are making any progress on the fund raising. Are we anywhere close to the goal. How can we help to get there?
Thanks for inquiring about donations. We've received to date $280.00 (thanks to all who donated) so far towards development costs which is short of what we need by many elephants. I've been looking at lowering the required amount by making room for myself to do part of the upgrade. This process will require migrating the site from my servers to a web hosting service which will make things easier and cheaper. I have the shell of the new web site version up on a development server and am chipping away on it. I will release the link when I have enough there to play with.

6brnorma

Thanks for inquiring about donations. We've received to date $280.00 (thanks to all who donated) so far towards development costs which is short of what we need by many elephants. I've been looking at lowering the required amount by making room for myself to do part of the upgrade. This process will require migrating the site from my servers to a web hosting service which will make things easier and cheaper. I have the shell of the new web site version up on a development server and am chipping away on it. I will release the link when I have enough there to play with.
Well…..must say I'm disappointed by the participation level considering the number of registered users. This is a great site……I learn new things daily from posts by knowledgeable users even if I don't own that particular machine. Can't wait to see it more user friendly…….let me know if I can help.

mmsllc

Well…..must say I'm disappointed by the participation level considering the number of registered users. This is a great site……I learn new things daily from posts by knowledgeable users even if I don't own that particular machine. Can't wait to see it more user friendly…….let me know if I can help.
I'm probably about to be hated by all who may read this, but why not charge ALL members who benefit from this site $5 for a lifetime subscription? I think doing that could be a very easy way to achieve the $7,900 that is needed for the needed upgrades. If I recall correctly, didn't I see over 13,000 members had joined since this site opened? Well, IF I am right $5 times per user at 13,000 users would generate well over the needed goal. Where I live in the mid-atlantic area, they impose roadway tolls when they do massive construction upgrades. I think you can see the benefit of what they do. SO!Did I just shoot myself in the foot??

Tazza

Staff member
I'm probably about to be hated by all who may read this, but why not charge ALL members who benefit from this site $5 for a lifetime subscription? I think doing that could be a very easy way to achieve the $7,900 that is needed for the needed upgrades. If I recall correctly, didn't I see over 13,000 members had joined since this site opened? Well, IF I am right $5 times per user at 13,000 users would generate well over the needed goal. Where I live in the mid-atlantic area, they impose roadway tolls when they do massive construction upgrades. I think you can see the benefit of what they do. SO!Did I just shoot myself in the foot??
I guess it's the way society is, everyone wants or expects something for nothing. Even though $5 is so small, people just don't want to give it away.

mmsllc

I guess it's the way society is, everyone wants or expects something for nothing. Even though $5 is so small, people just don't want to give it away.
Tazza, That is a very good perspective, but it seems that this site has such potential to save any member who joins far beyond the initial $5 joining fee. I, myself, have saved at least $1,000 dollars on perceived labor charges for the repairs that I would not know otherwise how to do. It could even start as low as $1 & that would still yield enough to make needed changes. However, some people might dismiss joining because they might not have enough confidence in the site. I assume that sounds horrible, but so many customers are just so flaky. It could even be started as a way to ensure the person's identity is not stolen or not being used illegally.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, That is a very good perspective, but it seems that this site has such potential to save any member who joins far beyond the initial $5 joining fee. I, myself, have saved at least $1,000 dollars on perceived labor charges for the repairs that I would not know otherwise how to do. It could even start as low as $1 & that would still yield enough to make needed changes. However, some people might dismiss joining because they might not have enough confidence in the site. I assume that sounds horrible, but so many customers are just so flaky. It could even be started as a way to ensure the person's identity is not stolen or not being used illegally.
The site does have great potential and offers a lot of good information, but i bet a high percentage of people that came across the site and found out there was a joining fee, they would just go looking for another.
It's just how society is....

siduramaxde

The site does have great potential and offers a lot of good information, but i bet a high percentage of people that came across the site and found out there was a joining fee, they would just go looking for another.
It's just how society is....
^^^I agree with Tazza. I'm not sure of the business matters of this site but I do see some advertising on this site. What are the costs involved in running this site? Is there enough advertising revenue to pay the bills to keep the site up? If not, maybe there needs to be more advertising to generate more revenue??

Tazza

Staff member
^^^I agree with Tazza. I'm not sure of the business matters of this site but I do see some advertising on this site. What are the costs involved in running this site? Is there enough advertising revenue to pay the bills to keep the site up? If not, maybe there needs to be more advertising to generate more revenue??
I thought the advertising made it close to cost neutral, but there was nothing left over to add up to pay for upgrades. I can't remember exactly how much lower it was when i talked with the site owner about it though.