Which oil for drive sprockets on T200

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

awschucks

Hi, I see in the service manual that Bobcat calls for 10w-40 oil in the track drive sprockets, but on several other forums I am reading that they require an expensive 90W-140 synthetic. Which is right? Dave

Tazza

Staff member
Are you talking about the hub oil for the motor its self?
If so, you want to use the correct one from the dealer. Don't mess around using something you think is good enough, if its not right and the bearing fails, you need a new drive motor. I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

Tazza

Staff member
HI, I was asking about the drive hub. Dave
For the hub, don't mess around, get the right stuff. Its far cheaper than a bearing/seal failure. If it fails later from the wrong oil, you'll kick yourself.

siduramaxde

For the hub, don't mess around, get the right stuff. Its far cheaper than a bearing/seal failure. If it fails later from the wrong oil, you'll kick yourself.
Tazza is probably right on getting the oil from the dealer but I use Valvoline syn 75w-140 (I think) in the hubs of my t200. My t200 had a bearing failure in the hub when I bought the machine used and I was lucky enough to catch it before it tore up the motor. Ever since I bought the machine I change the hub oil every 100 hours and I buy the oil from NAPA. No problems with it so far in 500 hours.

siduramaxde

Tazza is probably right on getting the oil from the dealer but I use Valvoline syn 75w-140 (I think) in the hubs of my t200. My t200 had a bearing failure in the hub when I bought the machine used and I was lucky enough to catch it before it tore up the motor. Ever since I bought the machine I change the hub oil every 100 hours and I buy the oil from NAPA. No problems with it so far in 500 hours.
I forgot to add that I have had the drive motor apart and the hub oil only lubes one bearing in the outer carrier. There is one seal that keeps hydro fluid from the outer carrier bearing. I think that if that seal goes out and the bearing is lubed with hydro fluid then failure is not far off. This is why I change mine often. It is very easy to tell if hydro oil come out of gear oil.

Iowa Dave

I forgot to add that I have had the drive motor apart and the hub oil only lubes one bearing in the outer carrier. There is one seal that keeps hydro fluid from the outer carrier bearing. I think that if that seal goes out and the bearing is lubed with hydro fluid then failure is not far off. This is why I change mine often. It is very easy to tell if hydro oil come out of gear oil.
I use the expensive stuff from Bobcat, still only about $25 to change both sides. But my main point is to agree w sid---change it often!!!!! Prob any synthetic gear oil is fine, BUT CHANGE IT A LOT!!!