Where to splice in Radio??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Silent Bob

I have a new S250 with the Deluxe instrument panel. I want to splice in for power to run a small amp and my Satelite radio. I would run power from my battery to the amp, but need to know which wires to use to send power to the amp and Sat radio when my machine is running. I want to use wires for the extra toggle switch locations by my wipers and fan controls. My Bobcat dealer sells that small low profile Jensen radio for about 300 dollars and are going to charge me 500 dollars to install. I am quite positive I can do it cheaper. Any help is appreciated. Bobby.

siduramaxde

I have a jensen radio in my machine and it sucks. You have to have the radio so loud to be able to hear it clearly that it is very obnoxious. I put Sirius in my loader and just plug it into the 12v outlet and then I use Peltor worktunes to listen to the Sirius over the FM modulator. this set up is much cheaper than the jensen radio and works much better. JMHO

Tazza

Staff member
I have a jensen radio in my machine and it sucks. You have to have the radio so loud to be able to hear it clearly that it is very obnoxious. I put Sirius in my loader and just plug it into the 12v outlet and then I use Peltor worktunes to listen to the Sirius over the FM modulator. this set up is much cheaper than the jensen radio and works much better. JMHO
My thoughts exactly, To be able to hear over the engine and hydrostats it would need to be cranked rite up. I'm not sure how the encloded cab machines are but open cab even with ear muffs on after a few hours use my ears still hum when i shut it down and take the ear muffs off.

Idoitall

My thoughts exactly, To be able to hear over the engine and hydrostats it would need to be cranked rite up. I'm not sure how the encloded cab machines are but open cab even with ear muffs on after a few hours use my ears still hum when i shut it down and take the ear muffs off.
I do a good bit of yard mowing and tractor work and I too like to listen to the radio. Although not high tech, but affordable, I use a simple Walkman type radio (fits in pocket or belt), which many of us already have, and a set of corded headphones called "Yardphones". I recall that I purchased these from Northern Tool and I have had them for 5 years plus and they still work great and look good. With any headphone, get something with 20 or so dba noise reduction. You don't want to have to listen to the radio so loud to cover up the machine noise.

The only use for an on-board radio/speakers might be for listening while the machine is sitting and your doing hand work, machine maintenance, etc. But, if your like me, I do like my music and talk radio, so both may work for you.

Eric

I do a good bit of yard mowing and tractor work and I too like to listen to the radio. Although not high tech, but affordable, I use a simple Walkman type radio (fits in pocket or belt), which many of us already have, and a set of corded headphones called "Yardphones". I recall that I purchased these from Northern Tool and I have had them for 5 years plus and they still work great and look good. With any headphone, get something with 20 or so dba noise reduction. You don't want to have to listen to the radio so loud to cover up the machine noise.

The only use for an on-board radio/speakers might be for listening while the machine is sitting and your doing hand work, machine maintenance, etc. But, if your like me, I do like my music and talk radio, so both may work for you.
I also use the worktunes with the 1/8" input jack. I listen to talk radio and podcasts when I plug my ipod into the jack. I cant stand listening to the hum of the machine all day wearing just regular hearing protection. At least with talk radio I can listen and think about stuff while I work. But when Im doing real technical work or trenching in an area where I know there might be utilities I will turn nthe radio off. I find that I can hear and feel when I come across an object while trenching without breaking it.