well Kohler didn't pan out- Now got a Honda 18hp for case..

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1816case

The Kohler I bought and I was planning on using in my 1816 instead of the Tecumseh ended up it had a broken rod due to lack of oil. No time to tear down and access damage so found a 18hp Honda. It is suppose to be a runner. I have another machine (not a skid) that has a 20hp Honda but was surprised that the carb and filter box on 18hp is different than the 20hp as well as smaller valve covers? Thinking must be change due to years. I am getting exactly same compression on both sides of 18hp and that is 80lbs. I heard that is low due to not enough rpms to get it off the decompression by turning with starter? But I'll see how it runs before installing. need advice on wiring if anyone has done such with a Honda.

Tazza

Staff member
Shame about the Kohler.
That compression doesn't sound too bad to me. I'd like to get it up and running, see how it goes.

OP
OP

1816case

Shame about the Kohler.
That compression doesn't sound too bad to me. I'd like to get it up and running, see how it goes.
I heard the compression will be low until 'compression relief' is over-ridden? (about 1800 rpm)- this don't happen with starter I read. Anyway- Honda runs great on bench. Love the Honda engines. This one has starter but also a rewind. I'll probably take that off. I need to figure out what wires go to voltage regulator to charge battery. I should be able figure it out. Just know this is what I got for wires- black w/red tracer, 2 gray, green, and yellow on the engine.. besides the black carb solenoid wire.

SkidRoe

I heard the compression will be low until 'compression relief' is over-ridden? (about 1800 rpm)- this don't happen with starter I read. Anyway- Honda runs great on bench. Love the Honda engines. This one has starter but also a rewind. I'll probably take that off. I need to figure out what wires go to voltage regulator to charge battery. I should be able figure it out. Just know this is what I got for wires- black w/red tracer, 2 gray, green, and yellow on the engine.. besides the black carb solenoid wire.
I put a 20 hp Chonda (copy of a GX620) in my Bobcat 440b about 5 years ago, it has been great!!
The charging system was inadequate at 3 amps, so I belt drive a 55 amp one wire alternator.
I was able to wire in the Chonda wires directly to the Bobcat harness that was intended originally for a 18 hp Kohler. The only trick is that these small engines ground out the ignition to shut off.
Also, with mine, there was a voltage regulator on the engine. It sounds like you may not have this, true?
Cheers - SR

V65ozzie

I put a 20 hp Chonda (copy of a GX620) in my Bobcat 440b about 5 years ago, it has been great!!
The charging system was inadequate at 3 amps, so I belt drive a 55 amp one wire alternator.
I was able to wire in the Chonda wires directly to the Bobcat harness that was intended originally for a 18 hp Kohler. The only trick is that these small engines ground out the ignition to shut off.
Also, with mine, there was a voltage regulator on the engine. It sounds like you may not have this, true?
Cheers - SR
Old thread, but what the heck... I have a lot of old stuff lying around, so I started experimenting the these Harbor Freight Predator motors. Got one on a log splitter, 3 seasons and a few dozen cords later, runs great. I put one of the small vertical shaft engines on an old Billy Goat leaf vac I picked up, works great. Just put a 212 CC motor on a lawn overseeder that suffered a blown Honda engine due to customer abuse(running sideways across an embankment, starved it for oil) Due out on rental this weekend, so I will see how it does. And for the price...... I have a Husqvarna riding mower I plan on putting one of their bigger motors in.

Tazza

Staff member
Old thread, but what the heck... I have a lot of old stuff lying around, so I started experimenting the these Harbor Freight Predator motors. Got one on a log splitter, 3 seasons and a few dozen cords later, runs great. I put one of the small vertical shaft engines on an old Billy Goat leaf vac I picked up, works great. Just put a 212 CC motor on a lawn overseeder that suffered a blown Honda engine due to customer abuse(running sideways across an embankment, starved it for oil) Due out on rental this weekend, so I will see how it does. And for the price...... I have a Husqvarna riding mower I plan on putting one of their bigger motors in.
I have never used one of these engines, but they sure seem to work well and are a good price.