VIN number? and YEAR?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

redrocket

I am currently rebuilding a Bobcat 763. I was wondering if you could tell what year the bobcat was by the VIN number. If this is possible. Can somebody tell me when I can find the VIN number and how to match it up with the correct year. thanks

pondfishr

Hopefully you will get a more detailed explaination than this one but here it is. On my 743 the model and VIN plate is riveted behind the back left hand side of the cab. I would think you would have to call the locat Bobcat dealer to match it to the year unless there is a cryptic code in the numbers.

Tazza

Staff member
Hopefully you will get a more detailed explaination than this one but here it is. On my 743 the model and VIN plate is riveted behind the back left hand side of the cab. I would think you would have to call the locat Bobcat dealer to match it to the year unless there is a cryptic code in the numbers.
That is assuming the plate is still there!
I have 1 machine with no plate, the other has a nice dent where the number should have been.

skidsteer.ca

That is assuming the plate is still there!
I have 1 machine with no plate, the other has a nice dent where the number should have been.
I have yet to run into someone that knows how to decode them either. The dealers can look it up for you if they wish.
My understanding is there is really no such thing as model years. Just that xxxxxxx211 to xxxxxx897 were produced in 97 and 98, then xxxxxx897 and up was 98 to whenever the next serial number break was. The breaks just seem to come whenever Bobcat decide to start making somthing different , or switch suppliers of a part etc. it has nothing to do with Jan 1st coming from what I gather
Ken

OP
OP
R

redrocket

I have yet to run into someone that knows how to decode them either. The dealers can look it up for you if they wish.
My understanding is there is really no such thing as model years. Just that xxxxxxx211 to xxxxxx897 were produced in 97 and 98, then xxxxxx897 and up was 98 to whenever the next serial number break was. The breaks just seem to come whenever Bobcat decide to start making somthing different , or switch suppliers of a part etc. it has nothing to do with Jan 1st coming from what I gather
Ken
thanks for your help guys. I will keep u guys posted on the process of rebuilding the 763