vertical lift

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Gazza

Can anyone explain the benefits of all of the new style vertical lift skid steers, or list a link I assume they allow you to lift more vertically say using a post hole auger, but are they truly a vertical lift. Or do they also give you more reach for dumping at full height. thanks for your responses Gazza

skidsteer.ca

It mostly about the extra reach at full height. You would need to move the machine less to pull a auger straight up but the booms on both Bobcat and New Holland move ahead and back some as they rise.
On the downside the loader boom tends to rattle and shake around more because of the extra pins. Further you will be spending more time with your grease gun also.
Ken

Earthwerks Unlimited

It mostly about the extra reach at full height. You would need to move the machine less to pull a auger straight up but the booms on both Bobcat and New Holland move ahead and back some as they rise.
On the downside the loader boom tends to rattle and shake around more because of the extra pins. Further you will be spending more time with your grease gun also.
Ken
Like skidsteer says, with the New Holland you have to have a very good eye or preferably a helper guide you when drilling holes. You will have go forward and backward nearly a foot after it's done to keep it straight. Eventually once you get a bunch of straight holes, it gets easier and better. The deepest hole I dug was 24" diameter, and 13' deep using extensions. It wasn't pretty and it kind of looked like a lazy snake going down :) And as I found it's anything but vertical lift---I have picked up slabs of concrete with no problem UNTIL I just barely reached the top of the 10' tall dump truck and ended up resting on the buck board--the last foot or so of lift it starts going forward which is not a good thing when you're lifting on the margin anyway.

OP
OP
Gazza

Gazza

Like skidsteer says, with the New Holland you have to have a very good eye or preferably a helper guide you when drilling holes. You will have go forward and backward nearly a foot after it's done to keep it straight. Eventually once you get a bunch of straight holes, it gets easier and better. The deepest hole I dug was 24" diameter, and 13' deep using extensions. It wasn't pretty and it kind of looked like a lazy snake going down :) And as I found it's anything but vertical lift---I have picked up slabs of concrete with no problem UNTIL I just barely reached the top of the 10' tall dump truck and ended up resting on the buck board--the last foot or so of lift it starts going forward which is not a good thing when you're lifting on the margin anyway.
Thanks for the replies Ken and Earthworks unlimited. Interesting as I assumed that a vertical lift skid steer was in fact a vertical lift. But it seems you still have to work your machine to bore vertical holes. I can see where the extra reach is an advantage to dump and spread into the back of a truck, though you still need clearance to lift to full height before you dump. Thanks again Gazza

Earthwerks Unlimited

Thanks for the replies Ken and Earthworks unlimited. Interesting as I assumed that a vertical lift skid steer was in fact a vertical lift. But it seems you still have to work your machine to bore vertical holes. I can see where the extra reach is an advantage to dump and spread into the back of a truck, though you still need clearance to lift to full height before you dump. Thanks again Gazza
There really is no extra reach as by the time you get the bucket up that high and over the edge of the dump truck side the best you can do is just dump the load because the loader arm is keeping you from going much further. By comparsion I was loading a 2-axle 15-yard truck with hurricane debris and the team owner I was subbed to was not happy I couldn't just reach to other side or even in the middle and push the debris down---like I'm some sort of magician. So he gets a new Caterpillar 4-yard loader and he could not lift any higher than me (10'-1"). His only advantage was that the bottom of his bucket was about 1-1/2 feet longer than mine and could sort of mash down the debris I put in there. On the Web I did see a skid steer that does have extending loader ams but you're still up against being up that high and trying to dump.

Eric

There really is no extra reach as by the time you get the bucket up that high and over the edge of the dump truck side the best you can do is just dump the load because the loader arm is keeping you from going much further. By comparsion I was loading a 2-axle 15-yard truck with hurricane debris and the team owner I was subbed to was not happy I couldn't just reach to other side or even in the middle and push the debris down---like I'm some sort of magician. So he gets a new Caterpillar 4-yard loader and he could not lift any higher than me (10'-1"). His only advantage was that the bottom of his bucket was about 1-1/2 feet longer than mine and could sort of mash down the debris I put in there. On the Web I did see a skid steer that does have extending loader ams but you're still up against being up that high and trying to dump.
This would work best for loading high sided trucks with a skidsteer.
http://berlon.com/rob.php
rollout.jpg

robopen.jpg