V2203 di swap bobcat 763 what's involved is it worth it?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jeeper78

I have a rod knock in my 99 bobcat 763 And I have a v2203 di From a reefer what's involved with this swap and is it worth it. I haven't found much info about the swap Any info would be appreciated

Tazza

Staff member
One thing I noticed is that when I swap the oil pan there will be no dipstick
Never knew the dipstick tube was in the reefer oil pan, you should be able to drill a new hole that matches the one from your current engine. You will have the sump off, so cleaning out the shavings won't be an issue.
Is that an option?

mmsllc

Never knew the dipstick tube was in the reefer oil pan, you should be able to drill a new hole that matches the one from your current engine. You will have the sump off, so cleaning out the shavings won't be an issue.
Is that an option?
I'm not sure of the overall cost, but unless you have actually seen this reefer engine run - be very wary. Some people will call any engine good just to sell it. If you have not seen this engine in action or you are not up to drill holes in engine blocks for dipsticks, it might be worth the small trouble of removing your engine, reconditioning the crankshaft, replace all the bearings & gaskets and then just put her back together. I say that because you have obviously seen your engine run. So, you already know everything you need to about yours. Also, replacing the all filters (if needed), oil pump & timing belt components in also another really great idea. I would bet that after you did that job your machine would last a helluva long time.

OP
OP
J

Jeeper78

I'm not sure of the overall cost, but unless you have actually seen this reefer engine run - be very wary. Some people will call any engine good just to sell it. If you have not seen this engine in action or you are not up to drill holes in engine blocks for dipsticks, it might be worth the small trouble of removing your engine, reconditioning the crankshaft, replace all the bearings & gaskets and then just put her back together. I say that because you have obviously seen your engine run. So, you already know everything you need to about yours. Also, replacing the all filters (if needed), oil pump & timing belt components in also another really great idea. I would bet that after you did that job your machine would last a helluva long time.
I originally purchased a reefer motor offline I was afraid of how many hours the guy never really said the total then he kinda flaked so I had him refund me my money and I found my own reefer unit running not that many hours pulled the motor and scraped the rest. So I have the motor all ready to go

OP
OP
J

Jeeper78

I originally purchased a reefer motor offline I was afraid of how many hours the guy never really said the total then he kinda flaked so I had him refund me my money and I found my own reefer unit running not that many hours pulled the motor and scraped the rest. So I have the motor all ready to go
I'm almost ready to pull the motor out of the machine. You would think bobcat would of made a better way to drain the hydro oil. I'm gonna set the motors next to each other and compare. If anyone has any advice on the governor issue I could use it. Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
I'm almost ready to pull the motor out of the machine. You would think bobcat would of made a better way to drain the hydro oil. I'm gonna set the motors next to each other and compare. If anyone has any advice on the governor issue I could use it. Thanks!
I'd think the govenor parts inside the front gear cover are the same, the onl part you may need to change is the linkage near the injector pump. I have never seen the difference between the DI and the indirect injection style, but i'd think they would be the same.

digsalot

I'd think the govenor parts inside the front gear cover are the same, the onl part you may need to change is the linkage near the injector pump. I have never seen the difference between the DI and the indirect injection style, but i'd think they would be the same.
The arm behind the stop lever is different my idi has a slot for the spring and carrier has a hole I don't have it running yet but I used a spring for a S130 bobcat. I used my idi front cover so my stop solenoid and throttle would hook up the same. The carrier DI stop solenoid is carrier specific . I tried one for a S130 and it wouldn't fit. The big expense is the intake manifold. my carrier inlet was on the right side. my 753 air cleaner is on the left side. Used a intake for a S130. The IDI intake will not clear the injector lines on the DI. Drilling the dipstick is not to bad. I did it while the pan was off. Found a Kubota dealer with a bobcat part number interchange so that helps on parts prices. Hope to have it running soon.

Tazza

Staff member
The arm behind the stop lever is different my idi has a slot for the spring and carrier has a hole I don't have it running yet but I used a spring for a S130 bobcat. I used my idi front cover so my stop solenoid and throttle would hook up the same. The carrier DI stop solenoid is carrier specific . I tried one for a S130 and it wouldn't fit. The big expense is the intake manifold. my carrier inlet was on the right side. my 753 air cleaner is on the left side. Used a intake for a S130. The IDI intake will not clear the injector lines on the DI. Drilling the dipstick is not to bad. I did it while the pan was off. Found a Kubota dealer with a bobcat part number interchange so that helps on parts prices. Hope to have it running soon.
I never thought there would be an issue with the inlet manifuld, that's a shame there is stuff in the way. Being alloy, you can't easily modify it to fit either...
Hopefully it will be up and running soon!

Tazza

Staff member
I never thought there would be an issue with the inlet manifold, that's a shame there is stuff in the way. Being alloy, you can't easily modify it to fit either...
Hopefully it will be up and running soon!

OP
OP
J

Jeeper78

Did your motor not come with the carrier stop solenoid? I was gonna wire in the plug from the bobcat solenoid to the carrier I pulled the intake manifold from the bobcat motor and ground the bracket off the right side and slightly tweaked the injector lines and it fits perfect. I also drilled the dipstick only snapped one drill bit I'm gonna use the dipstick hole as my oil fill since the valve cover only has the breather on it

digsalot

Did your motor not come with the carrier stop solenoid? I was gonna wire in the plug from the bobcat solenoid to the carrier I pulled the intake manifold from the bobcat motor and ground the bracket off the right side and slightly tweaked the injector lines and it fits perfect. I also drilled the dipstick only snapped one drill bit I'm gonna use the dipstick hole as my oil fill since the valve cover only has the breather on it
my stop solenoid was missing. my throttle linkage mounts on the same bracket so that's why I went that route. I didn't want to bend the injector lines. Got it running and it sounds good. I ground out the hole in the valve cover and used a rubber push in cap. The cap on the tube from the idi will work or you can get one for a Chevrolet.

OP
OP
J

Jeeper78

my stop solenoid was missing. my throttle linkage mounts on the same bracket so that's why I went that route. I didn't want to bend the injector lines. Got it running and it sounds good. I ground out the hole in the valve cover and used a rubber push in cap. The cap on the tube from the idi will work or you can get one for a Chevrolet.
Good idea reusing that cap. Did you switch the crank pulley from the bobcat to the carrier? The bobcat pulley is 6" and the carrier is 4"

rodbuilder

I'm pretty sure that the only thing different is that the oil pan will have to be switched and the dipstick tube is on the other side of the engine. I had a 753 some guy put a reefer engine in and found a bare spot on the block intended for a dipstick, so I drilled out, coated a 1/2" I.D sleeve I bought at Ace hardware, with some quick-drying JB weld, let it dry for 10 minutes, and the old dipstick slid with into it!!! Problem with reefer engines is that most of them are going to have 20-40 THOUSAND hours on them!!! They DO run all day when they're in use - ya' know??

OP
OP
J

Jeeper78

I'm pretty sure that the only thing different is that the oil pan will have to be switched and the dipstick tube is on the other side of the engine. I had a 753 some guy put a reefer engine in and found a bare spot on the block intended for a dipstick, so I drilled out, coated a 1/2" I.D sleeve I bought at Ace hardware, with some quick-drying JB weld, let it dry for 10 minutes, and the old dipstick slid with into it!!! Problem with reefer engines is that most of them are going to have 20-40 THOUSAND hours on them!!! They DO run all day when they're in use - ya' know??
I got the whole reefer so I could see the hours it wasn't crazy high This thing runs great. Starts in freezing weather It was worth the swap