Upgrade or Upgrade?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Atilathehun99

Here's what's on my mind. My 722 is getting a little long in the tooth. Right now I need new seals on the fronts, have low compression on 2 cylinders, and the pump/hydro transmission?........don't really know it has a problem. The local dealer has told me about 1999 751 in on trade that they'll be asking $8,500 for. Haven't seen it yet but it's suppose to have about 3,000 hours and is coming from a rental business. They've sent me a pic and it looks a bit scratched up but the rubber and everything else looks pretty good. I've been talking with a few people about the 722 who would do different things (engine re-build and seals. I would swap out the pump/hydro transmission myself) and figure with investing about $5K I'd end up with a rebuilt engine, reman pump/hydro transmission, and new wheel seals (2). The plus is that I know what I got. The minus is that I've spent $5k on a machine that wouldn't re-sale for that money. Of course I'm just looking for a good working unit and re-sale price probably doesn't weigh in to the equation. Give me some of your thoughts on my idea and also on 751's. Thanks.

[email protected]

8500 on a 751 with 3000 hours sounds steep to me. however i would not spend 5k fixing a 722 either. i'd upgrade the machine but wait for a better deal to come around.

OldMachinist

8500 on a 751 with 3000 hours sounds steep to me. however i would not spend 5k fixing a 722 either. i'd upgrade the machine but wait for a better deal to come around.
Wait for something with Kubota or Deutz engine. The Peugeot engine in the 751 is very expensive to service if something goes bad.

reaperman

I really don't understand why bobcat manufactured the 751 and 753 at the same time. They spec out almost identical to each other. If you fix up your machine you will have something reliable and peace of mind that goes along with knowing that. Any used machine purchase always comes with fingers crossed that nothing expensive happens. I agree with your analogy on fixing up your machine, if your planning on keeping it, who cares how much it costs. Not much different than putting money in used cars that aren't worth a dime on paper, but still run just fine.

[email protected]

I really don't understand why bobcat manufactured the 751 and 753 at the same time. They spec out almost identical to each other. If you fix up your machine you will have something reliable and peace of mind that goes along with knowing that. Any used machine purchase always comes with fingers crossed that nothing expensive happens. I agree with your analogy on fixing up your machine, if your planning on keeping it, who cares how much it costs. Not much different than putting money in used cars that aren't worth a dime on paper, but still run just fine.
yeah i don't get why they made the 751 either. they are the same machine with a different motor i think. i also don't get why they made the 743 and the 643 which were the same part for part except a few less hp.

Latest posts