Underground lines, pipes, cables, etc.--what to watch out for??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

CanAm

Hey CanAm: What brand of probe would you recommend--also, how much do they cost? Tom
Soil probes are cheap about $20 plus. There are some that are fiberglass and the few I've used I didn't like. As for a particular kind I don't think it matters. As cheap as they are if you didn't like the one you bought you could always replace it. Marc

tsanders

Soil probes are cheap about $20 plus. There are some that are fiberglass and the few I've used I didn't like. As for a particular kind I don't think it matters. As cheap as they are if you didn't like the one you bought you could always replace it. Marc
when you buy your probe be sure you get one that you can find replacement tips for it. in alabama when they locate the lines they tell you that they could be off 3 ft which means you need someone to probe and dig down with a shovel first. you need to be easy with a shovel because they can hold you responsible if you damage the insulation on gas lines etc. be sure and notify them if you do so they can repair it. some people dont worry about it but they have you on file for digging there and come back later on. hope i havent scared you but there are a lot of things to take into consideration before you dig. there are small towns that have bankrupted because of those fiber-optic cables. if this is your first time to dig take your time and be very cautious. PS use one of your best employes because your operator will have to depend on him.

triad

when you buy your probe be sure you get one that you can find replacement tips for it. in alabama when they locate the lines they tell you that they could be off 3 ft which means you need someone to probe and dig down with a shovel first. you need to be easy with a shovel because they can hold you responsible if you damage the insulation on gas lines etc. be sure and notify them if you do so they can repair it. some people dont worry about it but they have you on file for digging there and come back later on. hope i havent scared you but there are a lot of things to take into consideration before you dig. there are small towns that have bankrupted because of those fiber-optic cables. if this is your first time to dig take your time and be very cautious. PS use one of your best employes because your operator will have to depend on him.
A guy just built a house behind me. He had the company come out and mark electric and phone so he started to dig. He was at least six feet from the paint lines and tore everything out. Be Careful

triad

A guy just built a house behind me. He had the company come out and mark electric and phone so he started to dig. He was at least six feet from the paint lines and tore everything out. Be Careful
Oh.. the company that marks the lines tells you to hand dig three feet on either side so at least the builder didn't have to pay.