trenching bucket

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hawg wild

I am wanting to build a bucket to dig trenches with. For water lines or electrical lines around my place. I only need to dig a trench about 12" wide and 3' deep. I was thinking about something similar to the tree spade type buckets. Has anyone here ever built or used a bucket like this. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

bobbie-g

Hawg, yes, I built one. Put in lotsa time on it. Works great, but I'd do it differently next time. I build one with a really skinny "bucket" or scoop, about 10 inches wide (maybe 8"??), about 30 inches long. I built it on a solid attachment plate, and used the same angles as a normal bucket. I made it from 3/8" plate, with some additional stiffening on the bottom and angle braces on the side. It's really stout, and I suspect it will never bend or fatigue. I would make it wider next time, maybe 18" or 24". I welded two teeth on the front, and call it the snaggle-toothed stump grubber. Works great for grubbing out stumps and anywhere you want to make a hole not as wide as a regular bucket. Obviously, a backhoe would be lots more flexible. Come Christmas and I get some time, I'll try to get some pix up here. Meantime, if you want pix, I can email them. [email protected] Cheers, ---Bob

goodtech

Hawg, yes, I built one. Put in lotsa time on it. Works great, but I'd do it differently next time. I build one with a really skinny "bucket" or scoop, about 10 inches wide (maybe 8"??), about 30 inches long. I built it on a solid attachment plate, and used the same angles as a normal bucket. I made it from 3/8" plate, with some additional stiffening on the bottom and angle braces on the side. It's really stout, and I suspect it will never bend or fatigue. I would make it wider next time, maybe 18" or 24". I welded two teeth on the front, and call it the snaggle-toothed stump grubber. Works great for grubbing out stumps and anywhere you want to make a hole not as wide as a regular bucket. Obviously, a backhoe would be lots more flexible. Come Christmas and I get some time, I'll try to get some pix up here. Meantime, if you want pix, I can email them. [email protected] Cheers, ---Bob
Bobcat sells a 13 in bucket for trenching. Just keep your eyes open I see alot of them on the internet for sale. If you have a clamp on excavator you will have to do a little modification to your bucket, but its not much

sterlclan

Bobcat sells a 13 in bucket for trenching. Just keep your eyes open I see alot of them on the internet for sale. If you have a clamp on excavator you will have to do a little modification to your bucket, but its not much
yup made one too make shure that when tilted all the way up the bottom clears the ground there are pics in the media section Jeff