Tree shear vs. Tree saw

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

s2nb

New to the forum here. I'm looking to add pasture clearing to my list of services for my small business. I'm in Southeast Kansas and will primarily be dealing with Osage orange "hedge" ie the hardest nastiest trees on the planet. I only have capital for one piece of equipment right now. Hoping to get a little feedback from someone in the business. Should I go shear or saw? Most of my work will be with small trees that shear can handle, but I don't want to loose out on jobs because I can't take out the big ones. On the other hand I know saws can't cut smaller trees as well and a saw can't pull them up roots and all. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tacboss

I am in the Hill Country of Texas and we manufacture and use the Monster Tree Saw. I have never cut any Osage Orange "hedge", but I did research the hardness of the wood in comparison to that of mesquite and live oak, which I know the Monster Tree Saw cuts easily. Osage Orange "hedge" is rated as 2400 on the Janka hardness rating. That falls between the rating for mesquite at 2345 and live oak at 3200, so I think it might be an option for you. If you are still looking for something, you might check out www.monstertreesaw.com.