Transp. Bobcat in back of dump truck????

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TRIVERS08

Hi: Just wondering if anyone has ever transported their Bobcat in the back of a gravel/dump truck. I need to do this so I can pull a manure spreader behind the truck. Too much equip. not enough space. Tom.

triad

How would you get it on and off? If the end of the bed came close enough to the ground that would be a very steep incline to get up into the machine. We have used a roll off before but I would worry about slipping while trying to climb on and off. Then again I sometimes slip on the trailer.

clr1001

If you have access to a loading dock, it works great! Just make sure your truck is rated to legally haul the load, and chain it down tight in transit. When I was a kid, my dad used to haul a 933 CAT dozer in the back of his grain truck. We had a silage pit with a reinforced concrete floor on the farm, and he'd just back up to the far end and drive right on or off. As long as you have a level place to drive off and on at both locations, you're in the money. I do NOT recommend using any kind of ramps to get your machine on or off--use a level-with-the-bed loading dock ONLY! You take too big of a risk of slipping using anything other than a level loading dock or similar structure. Make sure you set your parking brake, too. I had a situation last year where somebody forgot to set their parking brake and had a mishap. Luckily, only the machine was damaged and not the operator. It sounds silly, but it happened. Good Luck. Chris

skidsteer.ca

If you have access to a loading dock, it works great! Just make sure your truck is rated to legally haul the load, and chain it down tight in transit. When I was a kid, my dad used to haul a 933 CAT dozer in the back of his grain truck. We had a silage pit with a reinforced concrete floor on the farm, and he'd just back up to the far end and drive right on or off. As long as you have a level place to drive off and on at both locations, you're in the money. I do NOT recommend using any kind of ramps to get your machine on or off--use a level-with-the-bed loading dock ONLY! You take too big of a risk of slipping using anything other than a level loading dock or similar structure. Make sure you set your parking brake, too. I had a situation last year where somebody forgot to set their parking brake and had a mishap. Luckily, only the machine was damaged and not the operator. It sounds silly, but it happened. Good Luck. Chris
A good long ramp secured to the rear of the truck and a winch inside the box (or front of the loader, hyd drive) could work imo.
I can remember my father, used to load our 350 jd crawler this way on the back of a tandem dump pulp rack back in the 70's.
When he got positioned at the bottom behind the truck he would slide a 3/8 chain in between the pads on the tracks at the front roller on each side, as the machine moved forward the gap in the pads closed and they went past the front idler and underneath securing the chain. The other ends were attached to the front of the pulp rack. Then if the cat lost traction it could only slide until the chain tighted, The rack was about 4' high and we lifted the hoist some so the rear overhang of the rack lowered to the ground some. Around a foot.
Once the cat crawled forward of the hinge we would lower the rack.
As the rancher said, "Where there a cow, theres a how"
Ken

TriHonu

A good long ramp secured to the rear of the truck and a winch inside the box (or front of the loader, hyd drive) could work imo.
I can remember my father, used to load our 350 jd crawler this way on the back of a tandem dump pulp rack back in the 70's.
When he got positioned at the bottom behind the truck he would slide a 3/8 chain in between the pads on the tracks at the front roller on each side, as the machine moved forward the gap in the pads closed and they went past the front idler and underneath securing the chain. The other ends were attached to the front of the pulp rack. Then if the cat lost traction it could only slide until the chain tighted, The rack was about 4' high and we lifted the hoist some so the rear overhang of the rack lowered to the ground some. Around a foot.
Once the cat crawled forward of the hinge we would lower the rack.
As the rancher said, "Where there a cow, theres a how"
Ken
I have seen this done with a set of portable ramps. Load skidsteer on to trailer and then use ramps to bridge from floor of trailer to bed of truck. Allows you to do it in two steps that make the ramp angles shallow enough to be safely climbed.