Traction lock solenoid

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tomagregg

Can anyone tell me how to test my traction lock solenoid. It has 3 wires going into it. Red, white, and black. I assume the red gets 12 V and the Black is ground, but what is the white. I don't want to burn up the solenoid by accident. Would the white wire get additional voltage to trigger the solenoid. If so, how much?

reaperman

Is the solenoid not unlocking? The easiest thing to first check if this is the issue is the traction lock relay inside of the fuse box. Swap that relay for the front lights relay, and vise versa to test the relay/solenoid.

TriHonu

Is the solenoid not unlocking? The easiest thing to first check if this is the issue is the traction lock relay inside of the fuse box. Swap that relay for the front lights relay, and vise versa to test the relay/solenoid.
There are 2 coils in the traction lock solenoid. The black is ground, white feeds the pull coil and red powers the hold coil. To unlock the traction lock, the white wire gets power for a second or two to retract the stem. The red wire continues to power the hold coil to keep the stem retracted. When the red wire stops supplying power, a spring extends the stem that has a wedge on the end. The wedge engages a toothed hub attached to the axles. With the solenoid unplugged from the harness, measure the resistance from white to black it should be .4 - .5 ohms. The resistance from red to black should be around 10.5 - 11 ohms. From red to white should be open.

OP
OP
T

tomagregg

Thanks for your help. I tracked the problem down to a blown fuse