Tracks!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cops2ndjob

help !! I have a 257b.Had it a job and some punk decided to cut the left track in half.Does anyone know how to replace it or remove one.I am also changing the inner and outer rollers on the drive.It was easy to do on the track that was cut but do you have to remove the track on the other side to get to them.It seems cat just wants you to bring it to the.they make it hard for a poor man to do it..Any hepl in this matter would be greatfull..

thetool

Nice......=(.
Fishfiles stated that old worn out tracks were easiest to remove with 6 or 8 passes of a utility knife, now it seems to be a juicy target for vandals.
That sucks, waiting for fishfiles to chime in.

Digdeep

I don't have a CAT but I have a RC50. Tracks are easy to replace. Jack the machine up an stands so that the track lugs will slide under the rollers- about 3" up in the air. Collapse the tensioner all the way down and remove the front outside wheel. I use a snap ring pliers and socket to remove the nut that puts the preload on the tapered bearing. Remove the old track or put your new one on. It's that easy. and should take less than 20-25 minutes per side. You don't need to pull the track to replace the rollers. I just jack my machine up like I'm going to replace a track and loosen the nut and bolt that holds the rollers. I think it is a 3/4". Push the bolt towards the chassis far enough so that you can slide the sleeve and inner roller off and replace. I just rotate the inner one 180 degrees since it only wears on one side and I just replace the outer roller. You will have to rotate the sprocket a little for every bolt and nut and remember to use new nuts. This only takes me about 15-20 minutes per side with an air gun. Good luck.

thetool

I don't have a CAT but I have a RC50. Tracks are easy to replace. Jack the machine up an stands so that the track lugs will slide under the rollers- about 3" up in the air. Collapse the tensioner all the way down and remove the front outside wheel. I use a snap ring pliers and socket to remove the nut that puts the preload on the tapered bearing. Remove the old track or put your new one on. It's that easy. and should take less than 20-25 minutes per side. You don't need to pull the track to replace the rollers. I just jack my machine up like I'm going to replace a track and loosen the nut and bolt that holds the rollers. I think it is a 3/4". Push the bolt towards the chassis far enough so that you can slide the sleeve and inner roller off and replace. I just rotate the inner one 180 degrees since it only wears on one side and I just replace the outer roller. You will have to rotate the sprocket a little for every bolt and nut and remember to use new nuts. This only takes me about 15-20 minutes per side with an air gun. Good luck.
I heard that the tensioner requires a special tool? Is it a screw tensioner with some kind of wrench? I've never looked closely at one.

Digdeep

I heard that the tensioner requires a special tool? Is it a screw tensioner with some kind of wrench? I've never looked closely at one.
1 7/8" wrench thats all. I think the old CAT 277 had some tool that came in their engine compartment. The new ones are easy. It only takes me about 2 minutes on my RC50 if I ever need to tension my track.

OP
OP
C

cops2ndjob

thanks for the info Digdeep.But when I loosen up the bolts and try to push them through they hit the frame.I need about 2 more inches to get the roller off.The side the track was cut was easy.I just took the main drive bolt out and rotated the whole drive spocket to the side. But the other side still has the tracks on. Is there a reason for the nut to be on the out side on these rollers?Can I swicth them around and put the nut on the inside to make it easyer the nextime? Just as long as I inspect it often..

Fishfiles

thanks for the info Digdeep.But when I loosen up the bolts and try to push them through they hit the frame.I need about 2 more inches to get the roller off.The side the track was cut was easy.I just took the main drive bolt out and rotated the whole drive spocket to the side. But the other side still has the tracks on. Is there a reason for the nut to be on the out side on these rollers?Can I swicth them around and put the nut on the inside to make it easyer the nextime? Just as long as I inspect it often..
i had put a reply for you on your other thread and it disappeared , did you get to see before it was deleted , a lot of wasted typing

Digdeep

I know what the problem is. The CAT machines have NO ROOM between the track and the chassis (maybe 1/2") and my RC50 chassis is at least 3" away from the inside edge of my track so I have more room to slide the bolt out. Sorry for any confusion.