help with tracks

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

thetool

Fishfiles is good at it, I'm interested too. He'll probably chime in. I've as yet to do one, but I kmnow it's coming sooner or later.....=).

Fishfiles

Fishfiles is good at it, I'm interested too. He'll probably chime in. I've as yet to do one, but I kmnow it's coming sooner or later.....=).
I say I am really good at tracks on Bobcat , Takeuchi and many of the other brand skidsteer and excavators but the Cat 257 and especially the 287 is a nightmare job for me which I dread , I would like to know the easy way myself if there is one , I have talked with Cat mechanics who told me how they do it , I know in the field they told me Cat charges 8 hours to do two tracks ---------- one good thing you can look at is after market is available now for that machine and you could save alot of money on a new track , how long they last I can't say yet --------the easiest way to get the old one off if you don't plan on saving it as a spare is to cut it off , I think you mentioned yours was cut by bad kids so maybe it's already off ,they cut very easily with a utility knife , there are no steel cords in a Cat track , about 6-8 passes with a fresh blade and it's cut and off -------- I have repaired the Cat tracks for broke off drive lugs with Larry Lugs ----------putting in on has never come easy for me yet , you need to loosen up the bolts which hold the squirrel cage to get slack , there is not a lot of adjustment and new stiff tracks don't strecth too easy , pop off the dust cap and undo the bolt then the front outside wheel and it willl knock off , it really helps to have another skidsteer with forks or an excavator to put the track in place and strech it on , then use a pry bar to pry the wheel back into place , after a few tries with pinch points and different bars you will find a spot that works well , it ain't easy --------keep us informed