Lingering Issues. Help if you can! ;)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

varudga

Hello gentlemen,

Last year I bought a 257B, 2008. I got a good deal on it because the previous owner had mangled the electronics in a bid to fix an issue he was having with the right joystick. He completely bypassed the computer unit. Almost everything worked on it, with one strange quirk: the hour meter never stops running, even when the key is removed. It doesn't make much difference to me - I'm a home/property user and I have no plans to re-sell.

The machine starts a heck of a lot easier than my diesel pickup, even in the middle of winter. I was going to rewire the machine properly, but looking at the diagrams in the manual I quickly retreated: "if it ain't broke...". So, I just replaced about 40 connections with quality waterproof connectors, dropped the cab again, and called it good.

I also had to replace 9 or 10 bogies to get the undercarriage up to snuff, but now I think the machine is in great shape. (By the way, I don't know if this is allowed here, but a HUGE shout out to BAIR PRODUCTS. These guys are masters. I couldn't get my tracks back on for nothing, and even called a CAT field tech out. Even with his crane truck, we had zero luck, with both of us breaking our bodies on those b---rds for 3.5 hours. Thankfully I made friends with the guy and he juggled his work orders around and only billed me for 30 minutes.... but I was at a loss. Then I found the BAIR hydraulic press, and got the tracks on in less than 10 minutes each. Worth the $500 all.... day.... long.)

ANYWAY-

I have a few lingering issues that I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

1) The heater and A/C do not work. The fan blows at the two different speeds, but I get no heat or A/C. Is this fixable? What do you guys think?

2) The ignition only fires the machine maybe 10% of the time. I have to turn the key off and on a bunch. When it turns it over, the engine starts every time with one round of glow-plug, but again, it takes 8 or 9 turns to get it to turn over. Is that just a starter solenoid, like it would be on a pickup? How hard is it to change those on one of these machines? I'd rank my mechanical skill at "20%.... provided I don't break stuff even worse in the process, I'll usually figure it out." Luckily these machines seem a lot stronger than my ability to break stuff (not like my wife's car).

3) When I bought the machine, I had a private service tech come out and replace all fluids, but the machine whines now when I use both the tracks and the bucket. I'm thinking it has to be a little low on hydraulic fluid. Is there a way to check? Or do you just fill it until it comes up toward the top of the fill spout?

I think that's all.... I really appreciate any help you guys can give me. I'm sure you're all busy people.

Thanks again,

VL

Latest posts