Tracks verses tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jake1130

Hi there,Im new to the skid steer game and im looking to purchase one to use on the farm for brushcutting and mulching mainly, I will also be doing some dirtwork also,my question is whitch would be better? tracks,tires or tires with tracts. pros and cons of each? thanks for you reply,jake

walio123

For farm use I would prefer to buy the right attachment for tractor that I guess you already have.Tractor attachments are good amd cheaper than skid steer attachments.Skidsteers are good for tight spases and small amount of work, especially for mulching, you may need high flow one. As for tires or tracks, I prefer tires plus over tires tracks when needed. track machines have much better grip, do not ruin the surface so much, but are much more expensive to maintain.

farmshop

For farm use I would prefer to buy the right attachment for tractor that I guess you already have.Tractor attachments are good amd cheaper than skid steer attachments.Skidsteers are good for tight spases and small amount of work, especially for mulching, you may need high flow one. As for tires or tracks, I prefer tires plus over tires tracks when needed. track machines have much better grip, do not ruin the surface so much, but are much more expensive to maintain.
Tracks are great for traction and flotation. Down fall to tracks is maintenance can get speedy. We used to run over tire tracks prior to getting the track machine. Grouser style tracks are a good compromise although you still have to maintain the tracks and deal with the tires but you can drop the tracks in minutes and have a wheeled machine. For mulching the dedicated track machine is nice not having flat tires but if you peel a track off on a stump that sucks too