Tow Vehicles

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Team Fountain

So, I talked to 864woody today and his tow vehicle exploded. I was just curious what everyone is using to pull their machines with? What condition is it in? Do you do certain maintenance you wouldn't normally do? Obviously, 864woody doesn't....... Anyone have any suggestions for keeping the two vehicle happy?

864wood

Just to clairify the exploded vehicle.... I am presently using a Ford Excursion. This is a 7.3L turbo diesel on the super duty frame. Great truck and family vehicle but as my dealer told me it demonstrates a certain naitive. In a perfect world and unlimted funds I would upgrade. It appears I blew a oil line to the turbo; oil leak hence engine scrams when it drops below a certain quantity. One day I will have a portion of the toys and assets Team Fountain posessess. Sigh! Its a shame he wasted the wood paneling on his Peterbuilt. Just for the record I have faithfully used this truck to tow my trailer with or without machine and this is the first major problem I have experienced.

500K_773

Just to clairify the exploded vehicle.... I am presently using a Ford Excursion. This is a 7.3L turbo diesel on the super duty frame. Great truck and family vehicle but as my dealer told me it demonstrates a certain naitive. In a perfect world and unlimted funds I would upgrade. It appears I blew a oil line to the turbo; oil leak hence engine scrams when it drops below a certain quantity. One day I will have a portion of the toys and assets Team Fountain posessess. Sigh! Its a shame he wasted the wood paneling on his Peterbuilt. Just for the record I have faithfully used this truck to tow my trailer with or without machine and this is the first major problem I have experienced.
I have a 2002 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 pickup with the V10 Triton engine and 4.30 gears that I use for pulling my Bobcat. The truck is rated to pull 12,500# and I have pulled more than that with no problems. I have a 20' trailer (18' flat deck and 2' beavertail) 10,400# rated tandem axle which works good. I can haul the loader and attachments fine, but would like a longer trailer to be able to haul more attachments.
I test drove a 2004 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 pickup with the new 6.0 Powerstroke diesel Saturday and should pick it up Monday if they give me a decent trade-in on my 2002. The diesel (with 3.73 gears) pulls about the same as my V10 truck, but will get nearly twice the fuel mileage. Costs about $4200 more, but should recoup this extra cost at about 60,000 miles, not to mention the higher re-sale value.
864wood, I thought about getting an Excursion (liked the extra seating capacity when taking trips with my travel trailer) but decided staying with a truck for the bed.
Ideally, I would like a F-650 truck (24,500 GVWR and 40,000 CGVWR) with a dump box on it. This truck would not require a CLD; I have one, but then I would not have to worry about any other drivers needing one. I could then get a 12 ton trailer (about 30' length)that could haul a skid steer and a compact excavator at the same time.

500K_773

I have a 2002 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 pickup with the V10 Triton engine and 4.30 gears that I use for pulling my Bobcat. The truck is rated to pull 12,500# and I have pulled more than that with no problems. I have a 20' trailer (18' flat deck and 2' beavertail) 10,400# rated tandem axle which works good. I can haul the loader and attachments fine, but would like a longer trailer to be able to haul more attachments.
I test drove a 2004 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 pickup with the new 6.0 Powerstroke diesel Saturday and should pick it up Monday if they give me a decent trade-in on my 2002. The diesel (with 3.73 gears) pulls about the same as my V10 truck, but will get nearly twice the fuel mileage. Costs about $4200 more, but should recoup this extra cost at about 60,000 miles, not to mention the higher re-sale value.
864wood, I thought about getting an Excursion (liked the extra seating capacity when taking trips with my travel trailer) but decided staying with a truck for the bed.
Ideally, I would like a F-650 truck (24,500 GVWR and 40,000 CGVWR) with a dump box on it. This truck would not require a CLD; I have one, but then I would not have to worry about any other drivers needing one. I could then get a 12 ton trailer (about 30' length)that could haul a skid steer and a compact excavator at the same time.
Picked up my new truck with the diesel engine yesterday. Seems like it has a ton of power and torque. I also like the 5 speed automatic transmission; it has a tow haul mode that applies transmission braking so you don't have to ride the truck brakes going downhill. I've heard that your not suppose to tow for the first 1000 miles, so I'll use my other truck for towing until I get the engine broken in.

Latest posts